Just a question...

For me, geocaching is just a game. I've gained some new friends while playing the game, which is great! I joined a softball team a few years back because I enjoyed playing softball. I value the friendships I gained as a result of the game, but it didn't change the fact that it was just a game... I would hope that if I stopped Geocaching, I would retain those friendships... Is that what you're looking for? I guess I don't completely understand the question...

I would say that for some people (I have read a few forum notes) that geocaching has been a lifestyle change. It has given sedentary people an opportunity to get out and be active for a reason.

Personally, I'm an outdoors nut and just enjoy the different perspective that I have gotten and some of the places I might not have otherwise visited.

I would say that for some people (I have read a few forum notes) that geocaching has been a lifestyle change. It has given sedentary people an opportunity to get out and be active for a reason.

Personally, I'm an outdoors nut and just enjoy the different perspective that I have gotten and some of the places I might not have otherwise visited.

It **was** a lifestyle change for me. I was an Internet gaming addict. I played a game called Dark Age of Camelot and was completely sucked into it. I gamed from 2 - 16 hours a day (really) every day for several years. When I discovered geocaching I never gamed online again.

However, it's STILL just a hobby that I enjoy doing. B)

I would say that it is an important aspect of my life. I mean seriously, I schedule vacations around caching, I spend a lot of money on caching equipment, I spend a significant part of my family time out Geocaching with the wife and boys. I include friends and co-workers when I can. I have taught Geocaching/GPS technology classes to kids and adults. I spend time here in the forums and time reading cache listing pages and logs - lots of logs. Geocaching keeps me active - both physically and mentally.

So yes - it is more than just a pastime or hobby or game to me. I am indeed - heavily vested in it.

However, if it all ended tommorrow, I'd get by. I'd miss it but there are far more important elements to my life. God, Wife, kids etc......

It's a sport/hobby just like my fly fishing and fly tying or hiking. Nothing more. Yes there are others that enjoy the same hobbies and enjoy talking and share stories or swaping flies. But that's it. Do I spend a lot of time doing it? Yes. Do I spend money on it? Yes. But I do the same for my other hobbies/obsessions.

So to answer your question.... Yes it's just a game.

It has been a life change for me (& my family). We reached a point where we went to work, came home, worked in the yard, only saw our kids then started over again. Now we work in the yard, see the kids but also go out to events & meet other people. I have gotten more excercise in the past yr 1/2 than I had in the previous 5 yrs. I feel better, I deal with things better & Ive seen places I wouldnt have otherwise seen & I have made some awesome friends. I thank the person who introduced me to this craziness for the healthier person I've become & for y family being fun again. B) Thanks Ed

I find it interesting that people with literally thousands of posts here, claim that it is just a game. That would indicate to me that perhaps they are somewhat obesessed.

For me, it is probably more than just a game as well. I spend an inordinate amount of time geocaching, hiding caches, talking about caches online, etc.

The other interesting thing I find is that it is very common for people to know exactly how long they have been geocaching and even celebrate their geocaching anniversaries. Have you ever heard anyone say "Wow, I've been playing baseball for 3 years now?"

I think geocaching caters to semi-obsessive people. I'm guilty!

Well...for me it is more than just a game. Does the game play any bigger role in your life?

edit for spelling

Great topic! I think it will be interesting to read this thread as more people answer this question. It's "role" has definitely evolved for me. I've been through obsession, competition, and strongly desiring more from the activity itself. All of this is in the past now.

Now, I'd say I'm most interested in geocaching when I travel and sampling what the locals deem "the things to see." So I see it now more as a way to connect with a place in which I am unfamiliar.

As far as community, I've developed friendships in my hometown that I would not have today if it were not for Geocaching. You can't put a price on that.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

For me its not a game, but a fun hobby. It has become a way to get some exercise (physically and mentally, depending upon the challenge of the cache). It has been a great way to spend some quality time with my wife, children, extended family and friends (not all at once...I might have to smack one of them if they were all around me at once...note to self, edit this comment out).

(edit for spelling...was there something else I was supposed to fix???, Ah well...)

Edited by DareGuy

You know it is an obsession when you wonder if you should get banned for a few weeks in order to catch up on sleep.

ROFLMAO!

It's a great hobby, but I wouldn't count it as my "top" thing. I have other things that take precedent but I am passionate about caching.

Edited by kealia

You know it is an obsession when you wonder if you should get banned for a few weeks in order to catch up on sleep.

ROFLMAO!

It's a great hobby, but I wouldn't count it as my "top" thing. I have other things that take precedent but I am passionate about caching.

I'm kind of the same way except I go in spurts. Sometimes there is just too much other stuff going on. But when I get out again I seem to enjoy it even more!

Well...for me it is more than just a game. Does the game play any bigger role in your life?

For us geocaching is much more than "just" a game. Solitaire is "just" a game. Geocaching is an activity that I am passionate about. My life has been blessed by the community I've embraced, and I've been blessed by the increase in physical and mental activity that come from playing the game. I was a die hard hunter prior to finding my first hidden Tupperware, turning critters into dinners at every possible occasion. Since I started this madness in January of 2005, I've been hunting once, (hunting season, 2007), and within 2 hours of loading my black powder rifle, I was signing a cache log.

Put me down as hopelessly obsessed. B)

It's a hobby that I enjoy. There is no "deeper meaning" to geocaching.

If this activity plays a big significant part of your life you need help.

I've always thought of geocaching as something to do, nothing more-nothing less. Listening to some folks planning a cache run - too much like work for me. Load a waypoint or two and go for a walk.

Agree with all of the above. Personally, I wouldn't classify caching as a "game" because that implies there is competition which I don't readily see. I enjoy the challenge of the hunt and getting outside. I also love the combination of technology and nature.

It is a hobby that I really enjoy, but it doesn't consume my life. I watch for new hides near me, go find caches when I have time, and check out the forums several days a week (though seldom post). But I do have to confess that when I am planning almost any kind of trip I always look to see what caches are near where I will be traveling.

Personally, I wouldn't classify caching as a "game" because that implies there is competition which I don't readily see. I enjoy the challenge of the hunt and getting outside. I also love the combination of technology and nature.

Solitare (in it's many, many versions) is a game, but there's no competition - except you against the deck of cards. In the same way, geocaching is you against the hide - and, just like solitre, there are easy 'games' and there are 'hard' games. And like solitare, if you like you can keep 'score' - how many cache have I found?

Personally, I'm closer to the obsessed player (of course, my wife says I'm over the line...).

I would say that it is an important aspect of my life. I mean seriously, I schedule vacations around caching, I spend a lot of money on caching equipment, I spend a significant part of my family time out Geocaching with the wife and boys. I include friends and co-workers when I can. I have taught Geocaching/GPS technology classes to kids and adults. I spend time here in the forums and time reading cache listing pages and logs - lots of logs. Geocaching keeps me active - both physically and mentally.

So yes - it is more than just a pastime or hobby or game to me. I am indeed - heavily vested in it.

However, if it all ended tommorrow, I'd get by. I'd miss it but there are far more important elements to my life. God, Wife, kids etc......

Ditto. Starbrand, sometimes I think you and I share the same brain. :anitongue:

It's become a journey that we're abscessed with sorta, kinda...well let's see...We used to fish and shrimp all the time and I can't really remember the last time we did that since we started caching a year ago. :anitongue: Yes it has changed our lives, we look at things differently now. I can't even go food shopping without thinking...hmm that would make a great hide or wonder if there's a cache under that skirt..lol ;) Yesterday as a matter of fact we went to Epcot and I'm standing there looking at this gray box thing and I said to my husband..."Dang, wonder if it's a ammo in plain view" ;) My son was like.."Mom, you got it bad, real bad" :anitongue:

It's become a journey that we're abscessed with sorta, kinda...well let's see...We used to fish and shrimp all the time and I can't really remember the last time we did that since we started caching a year ago. ;) Yes it has changed our lives, we look at things differently now. I can't even go food shopping without thinking...hmm that would make a great hide or wonder if there's a cache under that skirt..lol :anitongue: Yesterday as a matter of fact we went to Epcot and I'm standing there looking at this gray box thing and I said to my husband..."Dang, wonder if it's a ammo in plain view" :) My son was like.."Mom, you got it bad, real bad" :anitongue:

I'm not one to point out typos, I make them all the time - but this time I'm a bit nervous about one ;) . An abcess is a pus filled infection :D . I tend to think it may be an obsession. Other than that, I agree with your post. We are often the same way.

It's become a journey that we're abscessed with sorta, kinda...well let's see...We used to fish and shrimp all the time and I can't really remember the last time we did that since we started caching a year ago. ;) Yes it has changed our lives, we look at things differently now. I can't even go food shopping without thinking...hmm that would make a great hide or wonder if there's a cache under that skirt..lol :anitongue: Yesterday as a matter of fact we went to Epcot and I'm standing there looking at this gray box thing and I said to my husband..."Dang, wonder if it's a ammo in plain view" :D My son was like.."Mom, you got it bad, real bad" :anitongue:

I'm not one to point out typos, I make them all the time - but this time I'm a bit nervous about one :) . An abcess is a pus filled infection :lol: . I tend to think it may be an obsession. Other than that, I agree with your post. We are often the same way.

;) Your right, squeeze the abcess...it's an obsession. Either way, I think we need help!!! :lol:

I'd be lying if I tried to say it wasn't MORE than just a game to me.

It gave me a creative and social outlet I never had before. That goes wellll beyond an activity.

As a result I have a second family of sorts in my local community and even some in the global caching continuum. <_<

I met my wife because of geocaching in a roundabout way and now I have a son. :huh:

Geocaching has changed my life for the better, but it was more the geocaching community than the tupperware in the woods that made the difference. ;)

4209052d-50f3-48c5-8b9d-eb163c22566c.jpga735ad7e-962b-4cd2-a232-a8929f8c3a4d.jpg

To clarify: The activity is just that. Something I like to do when I have time. But the community, geocachers are MY people. Well, mostly. ;)

<_<

I'm sorry, but what an asinine statement. :laughing:<_<

Edited by Snoogans

I'd be lying if I tried to say it wasn't MORE than just a game to me.

It gave me a creative and social outlet I never had before. That goes wellll beyond an activity.

As a result I have a second family of sorts in my local community and even some in the global caching continuum. <_<

I met my wife because of geocaching in a roundabout way and now I have a son. :huh:

Geocaching has changed my life for the better, but it was more the geocaching community than the tupperware in the woods that made the difference. ;)

To clarify: The activity is just that. Something I like to do when I have time. But the community, geocachers are MY people. Well, mostly. ;)

<_<

I'm sorry, but what an asinine statement. :laughing:<_<

Thanks, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one with that thought. I was not really looking forward to being the one to point that out as I've done plenty of argueing lately. I may put it a little more mildly though. I was very disappointed to see such a preemptive attack on anyone who might place more value on the activity than that poster. I hope that post did not cause anyone to not add a reply, who has let this game play a larger role in their lives than that poster has.

If this is just a game to you, that's totally cool, but it doesn't mean anything is wrong with those who are different.

Some hypothetical, but very real possibilities...

"I home school my kids and we use Geocaching weekly in our lessons, to teach creative writing, research and communication skills, as well as navigation, social interaction, and geography/history"

"I got married about a year ago, and at first had a lot of trouble bonding with my new stepkids, but we discovered Geocaching and have used it as "Our Thing" to build a stronger relationship"

"For years my brother and I have been seperated by the various interest that we each have, but have used Geocaching to spend time together and step away from the things that kept us apart"

"I came out of a war zone, and had a lot of trouble getting used to a social environment again, but have used this as a therary to coax me back into public"

"We have monthly outings at work to keep a sense of teamwork, and more relaxed interaction. It's really helped the whole team be more productive"

"I saw a unique opportunity to start a business based on Geocaching, so for me and those who work for me, it's also a job"

"When I moved to a new city I used Geocaching to learn my way around, and when I go on a vacation I use it to delve deeper into a place than I might be able to if I stuck with the regular tourist things"

While these exact examples are hypothecital, and I made them up, you should be able to see from peoples Cache hides and find logs that many of these examples probabaly fit pretty closely to some real world players. It would be quite an insult to tell them that they "need help" if this game means anything more to them.

---------------------------------

OK, now for me...This IS more than just a game. A portion of my network of friends are rooted in this game. This game has helped my get back to my habit of writing, and helped me to learn to do it more creatively, and when needed more technically. This game led me to another game, which has spurred me back into one of my long favorite hobbies of photography, and given me an outlet to share it. At least three of my previous relationships were taken to a new level through Geocaching. Geocaching has helped me to see a new perspective on some things that I blew off before.

My hope is that by better understanding what geocaching means to a person, it may help each of us to understand their perspectives on other issues where we do not agree.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Funny really...if I said on my CV that my hobbies include "appreciating the countryside and exploring", it wouldn't raise an eyebrow, nor would I have to debate whether I regard that as "just a game" or whether it's bad if your life revolves around the next weekend away.

But to me at least, that's the most important aspect of geocaching, and the hide is just a focus. Something to hang your natural curiosity on.

As soon as I "log" something, though, particularly if it involves a silly little plastic box, it's as if the whole purpose is to play some internet-based role-playing game which happens to have the inconvenience of requiring some outdoors duties. So then I have to "justify" such a waste of time.

Yes, there are other elements than simply exploring the outdoors, but I'd hazard that most geocachers wouldn't bother with the game at all if it was simply computer-based.

My main hobby for the last 6-7 years have been sailing. Navigation has been, and is, a big part of this, I have taken several courses about sailing and navigation, and my understanding of maps, coordinates and navigation have become rather good. On the other hand, my job requires a lot of travelling, and I have seen enough of hotel rooms to dislike them.. :laughing: The next few weeks I will be travelling 2000 km north and 3000 south, visiting at least 4 different countries.......

So for quite some time I have been thinking of starting geocaching, and some weeks ago I went of and got me a Colorado. My goal is to see less of the hotel rooms and more of the nature around me. So far it has been a success! Is it more than a game? Yes I would say so - it is a way of getting more physical training and it sure is a way of seeing more of the beautiful nature around me.

And right now I get some training in writing English, which I don’t do too often.... Please excuse me misspellings and grammar errors... <_<

It's a wonderful motivation for getting exercise on a short notice basis. Mostly I use it for, a take me where I have never been before, that is really neat! So needless to say I do spend more time now weeding out urban, mini, park and Grab. I want the hike and a neat place to go to in addition to the exercise. After all this time, I still love the GPS and what it can do. Still impressed with it and the Map software too. I love to tract my voyage and see it on the map. Guess at the mileage and use GPS to see if I am right. Urban wise, it will show you some really neat parks that are fun to hike around in. Great to learn your way around in a new place. Seen some really neat stuff. Great Pics! I often explore alot more than finding the cache. I love to bushwack my way back using the Map page. That is really fun. I am not addicted to the hunt itself but very much enjoy a clever hide. Totally bored to death with the easy ones. Way too many pointless placements.

So Yes it is alot more than just a game - its alot of outdoor fun.

P.S. Even with all the research I do before I go - I still have no idea what I am doing! And I love not knowing what I will find between home and the cache.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

My main hobby for the last 6-7 years have been sailing. Navigation has been, and is, a big part of this, I have taken several courses about sailing and navigation, and my understanding of maps, coordinates and navigation have become rather good. On the other hand, my job requires a lot of travelling, and I have seen enough of hotel rooms to dislike them.. :) The next few weeks I will be travelling 2000 km north and 3000 south, visiting at least 4 different countries.......

So for quite some time I have been thinking of starting geocaching, and some weeks ago I went of and got me a Colorado. My goal is to see less of the hotel rooms and more of the nature around me. So far it has been a success! Is it more than a game? Yes I would say so - it is a way of getting more physical training and it sure is a way of seeing more of the beautiful nature around me.

And right now I get some training in writing English, which I don’t do too often.... Please excuse me misspellings and grammar errors... :)

I didn't even notice any.

I was hoping this thread would not be a "Debate" but just a place to share your own views.

"What's your favorite color" should not be a question that needs to be debated. I am looking for each individuals response, not someone elses opinion on what the game is or isn't to that other guy.

If someone says their favorite color is red, I'm not interested in hearing someone else tell them that it's actually crimson.