achived caches...

GATOULIS

Hello to all!

I would like to know something about achived caches!

when a cache is achived is not activated any more, for a reason, right?

That means that the cache is still there or that someone took it? If the geocacher is far away from the cache, that doesn't mean that the cache is still there but it is not in the game anynore?

Now, if I accidently find an achived cache, that it is still there, can I log it as found? Will the find count?

I do not think I will ever find one, I do not know if there are any close to me, but I am just asking! B)

They get archived for a variety of reasons but the most common is that they turn up missing and the owner does not replace it but instead chooses to archive the listing. The other semi-common reason is for a violation of the guidelines, in theory - those should be removed by the owner or other responsible Geocacher but experience says some of them remain in place.

If you stumble across a container and discover its listing to be archived - I have no heartache over logging a find so long as you have some evidence of having actually found a container out there. Also the responsible thing to do would be to go back and clean it up as it is little more than trash at that point.

If you do happen to find a container that is no longer listed on this site, there is the remote possibility it could be listed on another Site. That happened to us one time when one of the people I was with had "stale" data in their GPS unit. Before removing a container, make sure it isn't listed elsewhere.

If you do happen to find a container that is no longer listed on this site, there is the remote possibility it could be listed on another Site. That happened to us one time when one of the people I was with had "stale" data in their GPS unit. Before removing a container, make sure it isn't listed elsewhere.

good point

Make sure it is not listed elsewhere?? Isn't only geocaching.com that you can see caches? How I can find if this is listed in an other site or something?

Oh! Are you talking that there is a posibility that there is an other game, not geocaching but something like a treasure hunt?