Connecting Garmin using a USB/Serial cable.

I have an etrex legend. Everything was working fine as far as uploading coordinates from the cache pages.

I bought a laptop without the serial port. I tried to connect using a converter cable but I couldn't get it to connect to my gps.

Are there any known issues to cause this that I can fix?

My thoughts so far are...

1. The converter cable didn't work. I did take it back and plan on picking a different one up on the way home from work.

2. The converter cable won't work with the garmin unit? (This is my biggest concern because there would be no fix)

3. There is a problem with the garmin website for downloading the driver.

4. I did read about trying Firefox instead of IE7, I will try that when I get home.

Anything else? Thanks for your help.

Angie

I did get the converter cable working as a COM port. But it couldn't detect the GPS unit once I plugged it in from there.

COM3? Do I need to be connected to/as a COM3? Now that I'm thinking about that I don't think the cable registered as a COM3.

Thanks Red90.

I was using an eTrex Legend with my laptop. Here are a few ideas:

You have to be aware of the interface selection in the Garmin Setup Menu. As far as stuff I used went, M$ Streets & Trips requires the NIMEA In/NIMEA Out Interface and GSAK uses the Garmin Interface ('Main' - 'Setup' - 'Interface').

Which COM Port your USB adapter is using and which the computer is expecting. I have three USB ports on my laptop and each has a different COM Port address. The COM Ports that are indicated as available vary depending which one I'm plugged into. You may want to plug your USB adapter into one port and then cycle through the COM Port selections that your software gives you. Find out which Com Port is being assigned to each of the different USB Ports. It may not be one selection solves all.

This may seem like a "DOH" suggestion, but make sure your Garmin is 'ON'.

Cache On!

JohnTee

Edited by JohnTee

I also have a little trouble connecting my legend but it is more of a problem with the Data cable than the USB converter. I have to wiggle the cable where it slides into the GPS several times before it will transfer data.

Edited by gkrone

I have been trying to find a mod for USB. I have a Foretrex 101 from Garmin but it uses the 9 pin d-sub connection. Seems like most of the computers in the house does not have that. If someone knows of anything, let me know. I have tried a site called www.pinouts.ru that had some info but not sure. All the USB connections were mini-USB.

I have an etrex legend. Everything was working fine as far as uploading coordinates from the cache pages.

I bought a laptop without the serial port. I tried to connect using a converter cable but I couldn't get it to connect to my gps.

1. The converter cable didn't work. I did take it back and plan on picking a different one up on the way home from work.

2. The converter cable won't work with the garmin unit? (This is my biggest concern because there would be no fix)

4. I did read about trying Firefox instead of IE7, I will try that when I get home.

I found a generic driver that works . I can probably help you if you let me know . I had the same problems. Even the driver that came with the converter didnt work. You can try here to get the driver I used . http://www.usb-drivers.com/drivers/125/125442.htm

Edited by LECTRAGLIDE

There should be software within the USB/serial converter. You need to get that working to setup a "virtual" serial (COM) port. Then use whatever software you are using to look for that COM port.

yep, that was my problem also, didn't know i needed it or that it was stuck in the back of the packaging when i couldn't get it to work, but all is well now

Angie

:) Try this link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VYJRY

This is the only adapter I've used for years on our old Garmin Legend, etrex yellows and a foreTrex101...it's the only one that has worked consistently, hope this helps!

See ya'

Edited by robertlipe