What is the most valuable object you've found in a cache?

who-me?

I can tell that what I have in mind for a treasure is much greater than any of these examples. The adventure I have in mind will be very difficult and deserves a big prize for those who can actually accomplish it.

Eternal life?

World peace?

Free Garmin maps?

A GPS with all the bells and whistles that does everything advertised, right out of the box, without any updates?

:rolleyes::D:D

Lol. Free Garmin maps. You're a dreamer.

I haven't been caching long, but the most valuable thing I've seen in a cache is a Susan B. Anthony dollar - seen in many caches in the south central area of the US. I have a backpack loaded with no longer used PS games that will be "donated"soon. I agree with previous posters...the most valuable find at any cache is the new-found satisfaction that I have actually located the cache! This hobby is so addicting that if there were no such things as TB's, GC's, or SWAG I would still be out there on my "tupperware hunt"...(yes, I do take a lot of ribbing from my non-caching friends and family...but it's all worth it...I have even converted a few!)

Our very first FTF prize was a light-up champagne glass...one of those plastic glasses that flash different colors when you turn on a switch. As soon as we got home from caching, we celebrated our FTF by both drinking Sprite out of it!!! It might not have been worth a lot of money, but the memories it brings back every time we get it out are priceless!!!

As a newb, I'm really enjoying this thread. I've got a question though.

I know FTF prizes are typical. I'm assuming that quite a few of these nice finds weren't FTF prizes though. I thought you are always supposed to trade up. If you find something worth $50 in a cache are you leaving something of the same value or is this just kinda outta the typical realm of trading items (like an exception to the rule)?

Edited by pirateRACE

I didn't found, nor left, anything with great value. Just some cheap toys... Don't really care about the trades, usually i just leave a toy from the cereal's box and take nothing :D

My brother though, he found a couple of pennies from 1917 and 1913 :( I still find it hard to believe!

Edited by Bioengineer

we haven't found anything of value.. but we have enjoyed the few that we have found that aren't micros.. I think it is just fun to try to figure out what people think sometimes when they are throwing that treasure in there.. on one in particular today there was a bent fork in it.. and for some reason my 16 year old just had to have it... but it is a blast and am enjoying the family time...

I've also found a lot of very useful and valuable (to me) items during my years of caching.

At one cache, deep in the woods on private property (their hunting spot), I found a cache with a second set of coordinates for a stash of ice cold Pepsi's nearby. Yes, stashed in the swamp in the cold water. I cleaned one off and drank it...and it was refreshing.

At another cache I hiked a few miles across a frozen lake to find a terrain 5 cache and was happy to trade for the brass Boatswain's whistle and chain, complete in a gift box (I am a Navy veteran).

While cleaning out the junky items in my personal caches I have come across soggy gift certificates to restaurants. After drying them out I have gotten a free Blooming Onion, free subway sub, and a free pizza. That reminds me...I completed the mission of a travel bug once. It was going from a sister in Tennessee to her brother who owned a Cottage Inn pizza store in Chelsea, Michigan. And he gave me a free large pizza when I delivered it. It was very nice. Anyway...this experience has taught me to be happy to find restaurant gift certificates in caches. I know they don't get picked up often and I really appreciate a free meal every now and then.

Of course I have found quite a few unactivated geocoins.

I always leave items in caches, whether I take something or not...I make chainmail keychains and have distributed well over 3000 of them so far. I even make micro chainmail keychains that are small enough to leave in most microcaches. I even make micro chainmail V-Man earrings. And I have my personal pathtag and geocoin that I leave in special caches.

I have to admit that every treasure I have ever gotten was most likely NOT a FTF. Yes, I have found about 70 FTFs since 2001, but I am not a FTF hog. I think the biggest FTF prize I ever got was $5. I prefer to wait for a few people to thit the caches first...that way there are likely to be a few new signature items for me to find when I seek out the cache. I really like signature items and cards and have a big collection.

Overall, however, I primarily enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

At one cache, deep in the woods on private property (their hunting spot), I found a cache with a second set of coordinates for a stash of ice cold Pepsi's nearby. Yes, stashed in the swamp in the cold water. I cleaned one off and drank it...and it was refreshing.

Now that is awesome! :unsure:

As a newb, I'm really enjoying this thread. I've got a question though.

I know FTF prizes are typical. I'm assuming that quite a few of these nice finds weren't FTF prizes though. I thought you are always supposed to trade up. If you find something worth $50 in a cache are you leaving something of the same value or is this just kinda outta the typical realm of trading items (like an exception to the rule)?

You could always leave your first born. :D

(Kidding, of course)

I can top those!!! Found a pair of diamond earrings today :lol: I'm one happy girl. Actually found a note for FTF to exchange a cheezy bracelet in the cache at the local jewelry store (of which a local cacher is the owner) for a pair of .25 ct diamond earrings. OMG was I excited! They are happily sitting in my earlobes right now! Thanks GoCoastal!

Today I found a full GPS system, granted it was an old school Magellan Roadmap 760 (discontinued model) without the cradle and cigarette lighter power adapter, but I can buy those on E-Bay for cheap. So now, instead of driving around with 2 operating GPS's in the truck I can drive around with 3, plus my satellite radio receiver on the dash. Can never too many electronics I guess.

Edited by dcmcveigh

Jamz found a pretty nice pocket knife in a newer cache in Wharton State Forest. But the nicest thing I've found is some awesome quality time with family and friends, and the competion to find the cache first when we got with team PineyJim. :rolleyes: Geocaching isn't meant to find things-it's more for the adventure and great times with people who you are close to.

Today I found a full GPS system, granted it was an old school Magellan Roadmap 760 (discontinued model) without the cradle and cigarette lighter power adapter, but I can buy those on E-Bay for cheap. So now, instead of driving around with 2 operating GPS's in the truck I can drive around with 3, plus my satellite radio receiver on the dash. Can never too many electronics I guess.

Kinda puzzled about why you would take the GPS when you stated that you could buy one for cheap and already have 2 Plus a satellite radio (why you mentioned this, i have no idea)?

Why not leave it for someone caching without one?

Did you trade up for it?

Even if you were FTF it seems a little greedy to me. I would have left it if I had no use for it.

But that's just me... :rolleyes:

Arriving first at a fairly remote cache, I found a beautiful hand-made set of earings and a necklace, made by the cache owner. Silver, turquoise, etc. I really wanted them for my wife, but I had noting even remotely comparable in value, so I left them in the cache. The next finder traded them for a "Burger King toy".

I'm new to caching and this just makes me sad.. I have had a few where I have read the discription and and tried to stick with the theme too and that makes me even sadder to see that there is nothing in the cache that is even close to the them and it's all very low quality items.

We recently went on a hunt for a cache near our home with newly activated geocoin to place on a journey.. and I had read that the theme was light themed. My husband asked why I was bringing another item if I was leaving a nice coin but I brought along a breast cancer whistle/flash light. It wasn't worth alot but to me the theme needed this piece.. and there wasn't anything else in the box of that theme...

The most valuable thing I've found was a free coffee coupon for Starbucks. I shouldn't call it a coupon because its one of those cards that say "We're sorry your visit wasn't the most pleasant! Please enjoy a free coffee, on us, next time you return." Oh well. I think its pretty cool. Still working on my "story" just in case they ask me what was wrong with my coffee "last time". LOL

We have a cacher in our area named Goldenace who leaves "Goldenaces" ,the gold dollars that were circulated a few years back, whenever he's a FTF on cache. Its a prize for STF! I have found and taken two of them. I have left unscratched lottery scratchits (I heard one was a $1 winner)and even an un-activated pathtag in resent caches I hid as FTF prizes. We also had a cacher hide a Star Trek themed cache in the area with a Capt. Kirk collectible he said was valued around 75$, unfortunetly the FTF was a bear! No word from the bear how Kirk tasted though!

Edited by grendel541

We're fairly new & are just tickeled (doing our touchdown dance) if/when we find a cache period, but we/I have 3 FTF's & only 1 of them had anything ($1.00)for the FTF except the pride of being the FTF (we have a lot of FTF vultures around here)& doing the touchdown dance on the side of the road at rush hour at 6:30am without looking suspicious. While I don't mind the nanos, my boyfriend prefers the traditionals so that there is something to trade. & we do, we have the geo-bag loaded up with "stuff". We did find a meal ticket from somewhere he lived for awhile, but we just assumed it was out of date, we took it, I'm not sure if it got moved along or not. Although I do enjoy seeing all the little trinkets & trading for something that is absolutely useless to me, but just strikes me, We're arguing about our first hide, definitely a traditional & since we live on a lake, Corps of Engineers has offered a bunch of water safety stuff to go in it. I was thinking the other night while I was on my hunt for a FTF that a fresh pack of batteries would be real nice. I reloaded the next morning, but think I'll grab a pack for the geo-bag to trade. While looking for our very first find, I was just saying "Well, this toilet paper is fresh, couldnt' have been here overnight" "found it" so maybe a roll of TP would be nice for a deep woods hunt. I'm pretty competitive, so it could be a penny, for me it's just the thrill of the hunt & the conquering.

I have left travel bug dog tags as FTF prize. Worth $5. If I had a really, really hard cache that I thought would merit something better, I might leave $10. I've also left home made cache containers with logs.

One of my fellow cachers left an invitation to go out to dinner with him as a FTF prize. LOL! He's a hoot, I'd love to win that prize.

Edited by FloridaFour

As we were searching GZ for a local cache my youngest found a diamond about the size of a pea in the grass. He was adamant it was real so I humoured him by telling him we would take it to show his mum when we got home so she could have a look. When we examined it at home it started to dawn on us that it did seem very realistic so I agreed to take him to the local jewellers to confirm it wasn't real. I started to sweat a bit when the jeweller examined it with his eye glass and he couldnt make up his mind. He fetched his boss and they decided that it warranted setting up the diamond checking machine where they send an electronic signal through the item to check that its real. They anounced that a diamond of this size could be worth in excess of £10,000 so by this time the kids were on the edge of their seats. Unfortunately it turned out to be a very realistic fake but it almost turned into our most 'valuable' find while caching.