Trackable Items? What will we be seeing?

tsunrisebey

Well now that Rothstafari mentioned a little tidbit about trackables in another thread and not wanting to take that thread off topic; thought I would start a new one just to see what people are thinking. I'm not starting this thread to start trouble or create a bashing session. I just honestly want to hear what the thoughts are.

I'm assuming that this thread will be fine where it is since all future trackable items will be posted here until a new area is dedicated to other than geocoins.

So, we have trackable pins, wooden nickels, and now geogems (all items trackable here on gc)...

Some people are more resistant to changes in the system and like the old way, some like the opportunity to watch a hobby grow and expand.

I'm curious about what the limitations, if any, will be for trackables. It's great for Groundspeak, another way to earn $$$, another opportunity for the creative types to capitalize, more options (cheaper?) for trackables for everyones tastes, etc.

Will there be limitations to what can and can't be trackable, should there be? What would you want to see trackable? Are we overloading caches with trackable items? At what point is too much? If I came out with trackable geoduckies would you quit collecting geocoins and move onto something else

Thoughts, ideas... (again, not singling anyone out but it's obvious that there is a slow movement that is spreading here and I think it's fair that we have an avenue to talk about it constructively).

I'm thinking trackable nutella jars (empty of course) :anibad:

To be honest I'm not sure what I think, I want to be open minded but I have to admit, I'm biased to geocoins or at least shiny metal objects. I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Edited by tsunrisebey

Not sure where everything is goin. I perfer the shiney pretty stuff. Some TB's are cute and the kids think they are neat, but, sometimes too much is enough. I think that this shows that the "sport" is growing and different people are looking for ways of expressing their interest in it.

Who knows what may come up.?Trackable hot hands? Where have your hands been? :anibad:

I think its kind of fun to see that there is room for growth with trackable items. Will have to where it goes. The fact that Brian indicates that these will be in their own category down the road seems fine to me, and will help them not to impinge on geocoins. Less confusion for all.

As somewhat mentioned in the other thread, their will be a learning curve for those who do not frequent the forums or the geocaching.com website and know of these types of changes. For example, we've seen those as swag often and the kids love them. Will need to look harder to see what is and isn't trackable. It will make going through the ammo can that much more interesting and longer, but maybe less fighting. :anibad::(

And those nutella jars - just send them in a box to my house. I'll take care of sending them out for you. We'll make sure they are empty first, of course. :grin:

Edited by GPX Navigators

We have had a new trackable collectors item approved by Rothstafari and it's in sample production. We've designed this for perhaps a different group of people. It will appeal to some of you but it will also likely appeal to folks who may not be coin collectors. It's metal... and for the first one Beaver Dude is on it. For us, we hope to create something that will be of interest to non-geocoin collectors and geocoin collectors alike. It's going to funny things to your coin albums - sorry bcrockcrawler :anibad:

I'm not sure what to think either. I like the idea of everyone having the freedom to be more creative, but one can do that with a travelbug - is it really necessary to start trackable swag? I don't want to sound negative, but it does just seem like another way for TPTB to rake in some more dollars. I would hate to see those furball things with ribbons on them end up trackable items in caches - where will it end? :anibad:

Available this summer:

GeoStarstm

Create your own Universe!

starting with:

Sun

Moon

Earth

Mercurius

Jupiter

Mars

Saturn

Uranus

Pluto

Venus

etc...

Followed by different types/sizes of stars, that can be linked to create your own constellations!*

Planets will be $6.00 , stars $2,50-$4,50 , starconnectors $1.00 (in bags of 10)**

COLLECT THEM ALL!!

(and make me RICH!!)

* all trackable of course

** for $2 more your teamname can be added.

:anibad::grin:

Edited by Twin Peaks

I'm Sorry ladies but i really don't see the point in trackable nutella jars unless they are full and automaticly refilling :anibad::grin:

Each to their own, some collect coins, other like to make up TB's, we have pathtag collectors, the gems sound cool, i'd maybe get a set to put in my collection just to have.

i do agree tho that more things will go missing as newbies will be confused and the nasties (coin theifs and cache spoilers) will sing ignorance.

and on the note of TPTB making money off it, in my understanding our premium membership fees, the TB Tags and code fees all goes in to running the system and office and considering the size of it all now that is no mean feat. I may be wrong (and i duck before someone throws the trackable brick) but i don't think they are making their millions from us.

Happy Caching, i'm off to see what other shiny things there is in the cache.

Ljay

but i don't think they are making their millions from us.

I am not accusing TPTB of trying to get rich, the money they derive from it, goes into the system and is meant to cover the costs, which must be huge, considering the size of the geocaching community.

I am just pointing out, that others will use it to make a quick buck (or two) ... :anibad:

which is bound to happen.

The general idea is not bad at all.

It would be so nice to see some beautifull trackable items, handcrafted by cachers.

I have already seen great examples in some cachers sig-items (non-trackable)

b53391c2-82b0-487e-b1c5-b70f1181bf9c.jpg

But things like my "GeoStars" example will happen!...Mark my words!

Edited by Twin Peaks

It is the creativity of the community that comes up with the ideas. Groundspeak gives them their outlet. And as Rothstafari said in the other thread:

At some point, we plan to have a category for generic trackable items (not limited to geocoins, for which there will remain a category) that will contain non-geocoin trackables (like trackable geopins).

For the time being, we're handling generic trackables in the same manner as we do geocoins for design approval, coin codes, icons, etc. They can be tracked on geocaching.com but they'll (for now) appear under the geocoin category.

Well now that Rothstafari mentioned a little tidbit about trackables in another thread and not wanting to take that thread off topic; thought I would start a new one just to see what people are thinking. I'm not starting this thread to start trouble or create a bashing session. I just honestly want to hear what the thoughts are.

I'm assuming that this thread will be fine where it is since all future trackable items will be posted here until a new area is dedicated to other than geocoins.

So, we have trackable pins, wooden nickels, and now geogems (all items trackable here on gc)...

Some people are more resistant to changes in the system and like the old way, some like the opportunity to watch a hobby grow and expand.

I'm curious about what the limitations, if any, will be for trackables. It's great for Groundspeak, another way to earn $$$, another opportunity for the creative types to capitalize, more options (cheaper?) for trackables for everyones tastes, etc.

Will there be limitations to what can and can't be trackable, should there be? What would you want to see trackable? Are we overloading caches with trackable items? At what point is too much? If I came out with trackable geoduckies would you quit collecting geocoins and move onto something else

Thoughts, ideas... (again, not singling anyone out but it's obvious that there is a slow movement that is spreading here and I think it's fair that we have an avenue to talk about it constructively).

To be honest I'm not sure what I think, I want to be open minded but I have to admit, I'm biased to geocoins or at least shiny metal objects. I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Trachable pins? Trackable wooden nickels? I didn't know that! :grin:

And...well I know that I sound stupid but...what is a geogem?? :(

Trachable pins? Trackable wooden nickels? I didn't know that! :grin:

And...well I know that I sound stupid but...what is a geogem?? :(

Gatoulis, look a couple forumpost behind this one, you see geogem.

There beautiful, a real diamant[ that is what woman wnat]

It is the creativity of the community that comes up with the ideas. Groundspeak gives them their outlet. And as Rothstafari said in the other thread:

At some point, we plan to have a category for generic trackable items (not limited to geocoins, for which there will remain a category) that will contain non-geocoin trackables (like trackable geopins).

For the time being, we're handling generic trackables in the same manner as we do geocoins for design approval, coin codes, icons, etc. They can be tracked on geocaching.com but they'll (for now) appear under the geocoin category.

To stimulate the creativity of the "cachers", instead of the "companies" it might be a good idea to make a rule, that these items may niot be sold to the public.

Cachers can have them made by a company of course, not everyone is good with his/her hands.

Made by cachers, spread by cachers, found by cachers,....just spreading some joy

a trackable sig-item, so to speak.

Just pay your tracking fees to GS, get your tracking codes and let your creativity run wild! (within some GS design rules, of course)

Not the "business" that geocoins have become over the years (and what made me stop buying them)

Edited by Twin Peaks

I am not sure how I feel anout a mirage of trackable items suddenly popping up.

I definitely don't think you can limit them to not be sold. It sounds like some may be cheaper than geocoins and for people who want to release a unique item into a cache to travel I imagine there will be a market for them. I like my shiny bobbles but if something comes out that I like I would probably get it.

Geocaching is a hobby/sport that will evolve. Some things will be good, some maybe not. Only time will tell. I do agree that there will be confusion as to what's a traveller and what is swag. I know if my daughter found a gem in a cache she would want to keep as as we have already found acrylic gems in caches, so it will be difficult to explain that some are to trade and some are to travel. But everything in life changes and this is no exception.

I'm all for cheap trackables, but i don't know, pins, wooden nickels gems,.. i just hope they don't get lost in the mix while out traveling. Travel bugs and coins are pretty distinctive. you can easily add a laminated goal sheet around a TB chain or drill a coin and add a travel buddy...but some of these I'm not sure how you'd identify them (i might not drill a gem) I'm not so sure I'd recognize some of these things as trackables?

I do sometimes trade sig items out of caches, but i dont know if i'd have any desire for trackable sig items? and now if theyre trackable anyhow, they're travelers, so i can't keep them! and need to pay more attention to whats trackable and not!

I guess if you're paying (what is it 2.50?) for the trackability and icon, you may as well spend another couple bucks and get the metal too?

If there's a market for em though, good. I'll happily move them from cache to cache (if i recognize them) and take photos, etc. :grin: and I'll agree with the need for a new category :anibad:

I've always seen geocoins as works of art, as expressions of beauty, reminders of places I've been or cached or things I've experienced, so "coins as travelers" has never really resonated with me.

I could see small statuettes, like the Tetley Tea figurines becoming an interesting item, but I think I'm a coin lover at heart.

Fuzzy, be-ribboned items as travelers.... :anibad:

I dunno.

....again, the talk of nutella, before I've had breakfast!!!

I'm not sure about trackable ..... things, for lack of a better word. Why not just attach a TB tag to any thing you have laying around and let 'er go. I would think that "stones, rocks, gems, shells.." are just going to get mistaken as swag.

I like the new Geogems assuming they are of quailty construction. The acrylic part worries me that they might feel/appear to be a cheap plastic toy. But I've seen quality acrylic items as well, its hard to tell from the photos. My son as a rock collector will love them, even if they aren't real gems. :anibad:

Personally, as long as our trackable items don't become geotrash, the more the merrier. I agree though it is definitely a problem that TBs and Geocoins alone are confusing enough to new geocachers. More trackables will just increase the confusion. We are only a few months into our geocaching hobby. When we joined a few months ago I tried and tried to figure out all the details but broke down and just posted questions in a forum or two here. Most new people won't post/ask questions. They either figure it out eventually and make mistakes along they way (i.e. take a geotrackable as swag) or potentially become overwhelmed and quit. I'm convinced better education can help, especially with the introduction of new geotrackables. Although no ideas at the moment of what kind of better education is needed.

Edited by The Horn Hunters
The general idea is not bad at all.

It would be so nice to see some beautifull trackable items, handcrafted by cachers.

I have already seen great examples in some cachers sig-items (non-trackable)

b53391c2-82b0-487e-b1c5-b70f1181bf9c.jpg

Those are trackable, just not trackable at Groundspeak.com. :anibad:

Having been away from the Geocaching game for 4 years and just recently starting Geocaching again, I was OVERWHELMED by the amount of trackable items that were in existence compared to when I started back in 2004. I don't think geocoins had been invented then, or at least I had never seen them before. It was travel bugs or nothing, and I was fine with that then.

Then when I started caching 2 months ago, I found out all these different things called Geocoins. Wow, what a bunch of stuff. I couldn't believe there were THAT MANY out there. I missed a lot while I was gone!

But I also found trackable pins, pathtags, even custom geocoins that people made at home with a TB # on them... Crazy.

Of course, now I've gotten into Pathtags, and trade like crazy. It's just amazing to see how much things can change here over the course of a couple years, so it wouldn't surprise me if more trackable items could be invented and the next new craze.

As Marky pointed out (ever so discreetly) there are plenty of trackable sig-items out there that are non-trackable on GC.com.

Does this open the door to track them on GC? Why not?

Does it mean that individual tracking #s will become available for that special trinket Joe/Jane Geocacher wants to send out into the world? Again why not if it saves having to buy a TB DogTag only to throw it away?

Could a custom icon be made or purchased for that individual tracking#? That'd be cool, huh?

I'm thinking trackable nutella jars (empty of course) :grin:

Why do they have to be empty :( ?

:anibad: I still think the world is flat...and so should geocoins stay from a collector's point of view....so I guess on that note I wouldn't be collecting little trackable knick knacks, I would be more likely to put them in caches...hey sorta like TB's!

I am starting to think that my trackable collection will come to a standstill. I was working towards getting the older HTF geocoins (personal or geocaching related). With the new possibilities, there will be such a flood onto the trackables market it will push some people like myself away.

I have been working on a hand made signature item for a while and am interested in other peoples sig items (hand made). So what would be the point of adding tracking to them? Just for the icon?

A lot of the current geocoins made even now are not personal and have nothing to do with geocaching other than being trackable.

Why doesn't TPTB just sell the icons (alot of people want on the profiles) for a set amount of $ and add the icons to their list?

I am just venting because the same thing happens in most collectable markets when businesses step in, flooding the market, and get away from the reason for the collectables and go for the money.

Is it really necessary to start trackable swag? I don't want to sound negative, but it does just seem like another way for TPTB to rake in some more dollars.

I am just venting because the same thing happens in most collectable markets when businesses step in, flooding the market, and get away from the reason for the collectables and go for the money.

Valid points. As somebody pointed out in the other thread, this is the way many of us that are referred to as "old schoolers" thought when coins exploded. I'm not claiming "We knew this was coming" or anything like that, just pointing out that things go through cycles.

It's going to be interesting to see who from the "new school" doesn't like these because they diminish coins/trackables, don't feel 'pure', or whatever the reason. And whatever you feel, it's your right to do so. Maybe, just maybe, some people will begin to realize that us "old schoolers" aren't just cranky people who don't like change. Or maybe you won't - that's ok, too.

I think many people that are hard-core coiners won't like anything else - and that is their right to do so. More power to you.

I don't have much interest in GeoGems for purchase or collecting, but I'll gladly help them move along if I come across them in a cache.

But, let it be known that I am claiming dibs on trackable collectors plates (think NASCAR or Elvis) AND trackable action figures. Heck, if I can't visit a cache myself, at least "mini-me" can!

As far as trackables go, I think this is positive thing. I don't think there will be the collectible market for them like there is for geocoins. Hopefully a higher percentage of them will be out traveling, and I think that's great. I mean, isn't that what the tracking number is for? B)

--Marky

As far as trackables go, I think this is positive thing. I don't think there will be the collectible market for them like there is for geocoins. Hopefully a higher percentage of them will be out traveling, and I think that's great. I mean, isn't that what the tracking number is for? B)

--Marky

That's a great point. I think the biggest concern for people right now is:

"How do we let the general caching public know that these are trackable and not swag?"

TBs are easy. They are a consistent 'brand' and image that people can easily identify. Once you've seen one, you know what they look like and can easily identify the next one by the tag.

Coins are harder since they all look different and some coins are trackable and some are not.

New items will be even harder because (within reason I'm sure) anything could be trackable. People may not know that a gem, rock, action figure, wooden totem pole (or festivus pole B) ) is trackable and may keep it as swag.

The best thing may be to add a tag to the trackable item, in which case you would come full circle to just using a TB tag. The only difference I can see in this scenario would be having a unique icon for your trackable swag. This is all speculation of course...

I don't see how this new breed of trackables is anything more than just another form of TB without having to buy the tags - and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I'm always losing travelers anyway. Maybe it's a bit strange right now because these new items are posted in the geocoin forum - maybe the TB forum would be a better place?

I will most likely buy some of these new items as they come up but they will never be part of my coin collection. I don't have a TB collection (other than to keep tags on hand) but I think it can be another aspect of my collection to go along with geocoins, pathtags, and sig items... more fun, more to collect but neither will take away from the other.

Sticking to the sport of geocaching, as I try to do with the items I create, GeoGems™ are another type of treasure that can be found. What else would one like to find when treasure hunting. Keeping it fun, and exciting since you don't know what might be in the cache is something I try to do when I place new caches out there. Many of us spend a good amount of money creating caches that keep the sport alive.

Everyone goes after those Jeeps when the see one close to home don't we?

Isn't geocaching, treasure hunting with a GPS?

I do have some other ideas to keep the kids interested and continue to grow the sport. I have introduced ~60 people to the sport in the last 2 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Sticking to the sport of geocaching, as I try to do with the items I create, GeoGems™ are another type of treasure that can be found. What else would one like to find when treasure hunting. Keeping it fun, and exciting since you don't know what might be in the cache is something I try to do when I place new caches out there. Many of us spend a good amount of money creating caches that keep the sport alive.

Everyone goes after those Jeeps when the see one close to home don't we?

Isn't geocaching, treasure hunting with a GPS?

I do have some other ideas to keep the kids interested and continue to grow the sport. I have introduced ~60 people to the sport in the last 2 years.

Just my 2 cents.

I am not sure what it is you are trying to explain here...

For your information:

I have trademarked the following items:

GeoStars™

GeoBeads™

GeoPencils™

GeoSmurfs™

GeoBlingBling™

GeoTrinkets™

GeoWacko's™

GeoBars™

GeoNuggets™

GeoFossils™

GeoTrilobites™

GeoShells™

GeoMarbles™

An application is running for 20 more, so be quick or beware....don't even get the idea of making money on those ideas.

I will sue you to the last nickle. B)

Edited by Twin Peaks

As far as trackables go, I think this is positive thing. I don't think there will be the collectible market for them like there is for geocoins. Hopefully a higher percentage of them will be out traveling, and I think that's great. I mean, isn't that what the tracking number is for? :D

--Marky

That's a great point. I think the biggest concern for people right now is:

"How do we let the general caching public know that these are trackable and not swag?"

TBs are easy. They are a consistent 'brand' and image that people can easily identify. Once you've seen one, you know what they look like and can easily identify the next one by the tag.

Coins are harder since they all look different and some coins are trackable and some are not.

New items will be even harder because (within reason I'm sure) anything could be trackable. People may not know that a gem, rock, action figure, wooden totem pole (or festivus pole B) ) is trackable and may keep it as swag.

The best thing may be to add a tag to the trackable item, in which case you would come full circle to just using a TB tag. The only difference I can see in this scenario would be having a unique icon for your trackable swag. This is all speculation of course...

I think you summed it quite nicely there! I'm not interested in this particular trackable, but other things are sure to catch my fancy eventually. The biggest issue, I agree, is making sure people know they're trackable. While I think the idea is unique and even kinda cool, I don't see the point in not just adding a TB tag to a similar item except for the icon. Makes me wonder what is in store for us down the trail. The public will decide what they like and time will tell what works and what doesn't. B)

For your information:

GeoStars™

GeoBeads™

GeoPencils™

GeoSmurfs™

GeoBlingBling™

GeoTrinkets™

GeoWacko's™

GeoBars™

GeoNuggets™

GeoFossils™

GeoShells™

An application is running for 20 more, so be quick or beware....don't even get the idea of making money on those ideas.

B)

And with that my interest in these items have waned considerably.

For your information:

GeoStars™

GeoBeads™

GeoPencils™

GeoSmurfs™

GeoBlingBling™

GeoTrinkets™

GeoWacko's™

GeoBars™

GeoNuggets™

GeoFossils™

GeoShells™

You're in Europe, you have no chance B)

I have been mulling over the trackable things idea for a while now, I guess I can see them as interesting travelers but that's about it... I guess I could be wrong since people collect everything under the sun. :D

Hogwildstuff will be debuting a new trackable item at Geowoodstock. It will fit on your album, but most definetly not in it. I have a adorable sample sitting right here in front of me and everyone who sees it just loves it. It will bring a smile to your face.

Now I think on some items the question ultimatley is: will people realease them to travel? That one is hard to answer.

Here is how you know ours is trackable. Like all trackable it says so.

87176524-3a57-45be-816c-6fec8a4484cd.jpg

Edited by Mama Cache