Introducing GeoGems™

CacheHunters42

Introducing a new trackable item to the game

GeoGems™

They are Trackable at Geocaching.com and will have their own Icon and Custom Tracking code prefix.

They will initially be available in

Diamond

Ruby

Saphire

Emerald

Each stone will come in it's own velvet pouch.

Here's a sneek peak at the Diamond and Emerald versions.

Geogems.jpg

They will become available in May 2008, check back here for links to the sales.

As of Feb 26, 2008, Groundspeak changed the guidelines for trackable items. Specifically, we removed design consideration #4 which read "All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat."

We made the change to allow for unique concepts like GeoJems and some others that have been suggested to us over the past couple of years (coming soonish)...

At some point, we plan to have a category for generic trackable items (not limited to geocoins, for which there will remain a category) that will contain non-geocoin trackables (like trackable geopins).

For the time being, we're handling generic trackables in the same manner as we do geocoins for design approval, coin codes, icons, etc. They can be tracked on geocaching.com but they'll (for now) appear under the geocoin category.

As of Feb 26, 2008, Groundspeak changed the guidelines for trackable items. Specifically, we removed design consideration #4 which read "All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat."

We made the change to allow for unique concepts like GeoJems and some others that have been suggested to us over the past couple of years (coming soonish)...

At some point, we plan to have a category for generic trackable items (not limited to geocoins, for which there will remain a category) that will contain non-geocoin trackables (like trackable geopins).

For the time being, we're handling generic trackables in the same manner as we do geocoins for design approval, coin codes, icons, etc. They can be tracked on geocaching.com but they'll (for now) appear under the geocoin category.

Well this should be interesting to see what develops in the future as far as trackables go.

How hard would it be to drill a hole in one so someone could add a tag to it letting people know it's trackable and not swag. Any chance that maybe they could already come with a hole for this purpose? It's a great price for a trackable and would pick up a few but would be afraid they would all disappear as people would think they were swag.

I guess this would lead to an empty pouch with a tag and a gem without a pouch and without a tag after a few caches. I guess this would happen anyway after a few caches. I have seen this with trade items many times which first came in pouches and after a while there were empty pouches and things without pouches which should have one :anibad:

I DO think that it is a great idea that these gems come in a pouch, but to be honest, I don't believe that they will stay inside that pouch forever when you put them in a cache to let it travel...

So, am I the only one who tried to see if that tracking number was activated? :anibad:

heehee, you're such a trouble maker :(:) Both of the numbers are the same, i would assume they are a sample number but NO I didn't try. :grin:

I've got mixed feelings about these...they are shiny now,but I do think they will lose luster as they travel. How deep is the engraving, is it going to wear off? They also could easily be mistaken for swag. How the heck do they fit into a collection binder?

I guess this would lead to an empty pouch with a tag and a gem without a pouch and without a tag after a few caches. I guess this would happen anyway after a few caches. I have seen this with trade items many times which first came in pouches and after a while there were empty pouches and things without pouches which should have one :anibad:

I DO think that it is a great idea that these gems come in a pouch, but to be honest, I don't believe that they will stay inside that pouch forever when you put them in a cache to let it travel...

First I've seen this thread. Cool idea!

Perhaps if a small hole were to be drilled through the gem, it could be tied off (or gold chained) to the pouch. It would still look good and it would still be possible to place and remove to gem to and from the pouch. :grin:

My only concern would be with a light colored tracking number - will non-coiners recognize them as trackable items, or think they are swag at first glance.

Looks nice but Ive seen swag that looks just like it (Dont want them to go missing.

It's a great price for a trackable and would pick up a few but would be afraid they would all disappear as people would think they were swag.

They also could easily be mistaken for swag.

While these are valid points, let's not forget two things:

1) We ran up against the same concerns when coins started

2) There are still plenty of people who don't recognize coins as trackable items

How hard would it be to drill a hole in one so someone could add a tag to it letting people know it's trackable and not swag. Any chance that maybe they could already come with a hole for this purpose? It's a great price for a trackable and would pick up a few but would be afraid they would all disappear as people would think they were swag.

Thanks for asking because this was my first thought, are they able to be drilled??

I'm surprised Groundspeak gave the ok as its not a "geocoin".

Looks nice but Ive seen swag that looks just like it (Dont want them to go missing.

It's amazing how much Groundspeak is wiling to bend their rules.A little less than a year ago when i was developing my Painting for Cache geotrackable item,I wanted the airbrush to be completely 3-d.In esessence a miniture airbrush.I suppose i should count my lucky stars let me do one side of it dimensional....Honestly,i would have to say that a coin is not a coin unless it's round. :laughing:

They do look neat however.....

Edited by JIMBOBWE

Time to play devil's advocate, but my guess is that these little 'gems' are going to 'wander off' at a MUCH higher rate than normal geocoins or travel bugs, as kids are going to snatch them up before parents even see them, and it is unlikely most parents would have a clue they are trackable until these things have been out in the field in mass quantity for months on end.

Hopefully the price of "well below $6.00" will make these more like non-trackable signature items that you toss in a cache and turn your back on without any expectation of every seeing a log tracking their movement. :laughing:

They are acrylic. Pricing will be well below $6.00.

Interesting idea. It will be fun to see how they develop as trackable items. :laughing:

I would hope that being made of acrylic, that "well below $6.00" means $3.50 or lower, since you can now buy personalized aluminum trackable coins/tokens for less than $3.00.

Are these limited production (ie only 500 or so made) or are they going to be mass produced, like tavel bugs?

I think it's "typical" to see, how some questions / answers, are "avoided".(read: not answered)

My guess: mass-production

Why would you "trade-mark" an idea, and then limit your profits (i.e. every cent above app. $2,00) to an edition of say "a mere 500"

:o

These will not be limited in production. We may do a limited run of a specific color at some point but the initial colors will always be available.

We are currently designing the velvet pouch they will come in. It will be labeled as Trackable GeoGems. We decided to do this based on some of the questions and concerns we have received about them.

These will not be limited in production. We may do a limited run of a specific color at some point but the initial colors will always be available.

We are currently designing the velvet pouch they will come in. It will be labeled as Trackable GeoGems. We decided to do this based on some of the questions and concerns we have received about them.

well they sound great! hopefully inexpensive enough to leave a swag in special caches.

lara