Why do you love to geocache?

I love to geocache because of the thrill of the find, it is a good feeling to find the cache that I have searched for. And definately for the excercise. But also for the photo opportunities, and I love the way geocaching takes me to places I didn't know existed, sometimes those places are really beautiful places. You should have seen some of the ones I found in Alaska...OMG.

Why do you love it?

I love the avatars of cute little kittens being eaten by big bad dogs.

Sorry, sometime I just can't help myself. It's a personality flaw.

I love the places it takes me in my own home area that I never knew existed. I love the friends I have made. I'll admit it, I even love being "in on the secret". It's kinda cool when you get to watch a "muggle" walk right past a cache without a clue.

Just gives me a good excuse to get out and about and explore around.

Part of it is the "thrill of the find".

Besides, I like to waste gas and get terribly frustrated while scratching up my hands and muddying my shoes in some God Forsaken landscape while blindly following the mesmorizing arrow on the GPS.

Just gives me a good excuse to get out and about and explore around.

Part of it is the "thrill of the find".

Besides, I like to waste gas and get terribly frustrated while scratching up my hands and muddying my shoes in some God Forsaken landscape while blindly following the mesmorizing arrow on the GPS.

"MUST, FOLLOW, ARROW!"

"I don't understand it. I woke up this morning with dirt under my nails and the batteries in my GPSr are dead."

The thrill of the find as well as getting some

exercize and spending some quality time with

my 13 y.o. daughter she is ADDICTED to geocaching.

She is a great "finder" and failure is NOT an option

when we are out looking.

I have gone out a few times w/o her and she always

says "DAAaaaAAD, why didn't you come home and get me first??!!"

I think it must appeal to some deep basic instinct inside. I enjoy sitting at home on my computer and figuring out which caches I am going to do the next day. Reading all the logs and looking for the extra little clues as to how to find it. I tend to pick ones with nice walks in nice areas so I actually enjoy the adventure. Then topping it with the self satisfaction when I find the cache. My teenage son says I am mad and there is absolutely no logic in it. However, I think if I just got him out to find one with me he would be just as hooked!

I love to share my caching points of view with the friendly people in these forums.

Hehe...

I love the photo opportunites and the "reason" to explore new areas. I love it when I can log a find with a comment like "I've lived here for 10 years and never knew.....".

And yeah, there's still a bit of a rush when I actually find it.

I love to geocache because of the thrill of the find, it is a good feeling to find the cache that I have searched for. And definately for the excercise. But also for the photo opportunities, and I love the way geocaching takes me to places I didn't know existed, sometimes those places are really beautiful places. You should have seen some of the ones I found in Alaska...OMG.

Why do you love it?

I have always been a hider. I started hiding things at a very early age. When I became old enough to explore more remote areas and wilderness hike on my own, I started hiding caches of useful items in my favorite spots. Several of those spots are now geocaches.

Being a hider also made me an excellent finder of things others had hidden.

As a result, I had a natural aptitude for geocaching. :D When I discovered geocaching.com I immediately printed the cache pages for all of the caches that were nearest to me. I was hunting my first cache less than 12 hours after finding this site.

Still, I'm more of a hider than a finder. My hide to find ratio is greater than 1:10. I hid my first cache after finding 5 caches. That cache is still up and running. :laughing:

Why do you love it?

I love the places it takes me in my own home area that I never knew existed. I love the friends I have made. I'll admit it, I even love being "in on the secret". It's kinda cool when you get to watch a "muggle" walk right past a cache without a clue.

You folks covered it quite well.

It keeps me off the couch.

Amen!

It's a physical, outdoor activity that's fun. And it's better than just going out for a walk/bike ride because.. you have something to do. :D

And besides that, it gave me an excuse to buy an expensive toy :laughing:

The reason changes all the time, but mostly because it gives me an excuse to be outside, a valid excuse to take random road trips when gas is $3.25..or higher, gives me feelings of accomplishment when I find some of the harder ones, takes me to places I would have missed if not for the sport, gives me something to do with my dad when we go together, introduces me to some interesting people (most of them nice and friendly...only a couple crazy ones), and a reason to challenge myself physically on some of the ones with high terrain ratings. It's a multifaceted kind of love... :anibad:

Pretty much the same reasons everybody else already said. It's the only exercise I get, and takes me to locations I would have otherwise never known about, even in my own town. I also like the variety. An easy park and grab at wal-mart, a long hike, a complicated puzzle, a challenging hide, pretty much whatever you're up for, there's a geocache for that.

For several years my wife and I have been so wrapped up in the animal shelter we run that we seldom took time to get away from it. As we are now pushing 60 years old we are making a commitment to spend more time together away from the shelter. We both love the outdoors and we wanted to do more with our photography so when we discovered Geocaching it was the perfect activity to help enhance the thing we are doing for ourselves. It may sound selfish but our Geocaching is just for my wife and I. it is our time to be alone outdoors in this beautiful country we love.

OMG, I about died laughing at this. I am in my office, I cant crack up, my neighbors will think I've gone insane!

For those of you who don't know, in another thread there was this avatar of a dog, who LOOKS like it is killing a cat, but really it isn't. I got upset about it and said how much it disturbed me. That is why I thought this was so funny.

I just wish I would have gotten more of a chance to do some geocaching when I was in Alaska. I want to geocache in Canada. Are there a lot of caches there.

Living in Texas I am closer to Mexico now, but I have no interest in going to Mexico, I don't think it is safe. Besides, I looked for caches in Mexico and I didn't see any.

Also, does anybody else think that their GPS is sitting there lauphing at you, or getting mad at you. I mean, you are following this arrow, but it is impossible to go in a straight line most of the time, sometimes I think, my GPS has to be saying, NO, THAT WAY STUPID. But I have to remind myself that it is just a machine, it cant' think, but I still can't help but feel it is telling me "THAT WAY STUPID".

Not a whole lot different than most other replies. I always have enjoyed hikes in the woods, observing nature, photographing, etc. Geocaching has given me an excuse to do more hiking than ever before. Now there is goal to my hikes. I also have discovered several nice parks in my area that I never knew existed and parts of other parks that I didn't know about.

Living in Texas I am closer to Mexico now, but I have no interest in going to Mexico, I don't think it is safe. Besides, I looked for caches in Mexico and I didn't see any.

There are LOTS of caches in Mexico at major tourist destinations. I did one in Plya del Carmen and the location was beautiful. The Snoogstress and I plan to go back there.

Cozumel has quite a few caches as does Cancun.

I enjoy getting out and doing "nature walks", I enjoy doing something besides sitting home and watching tv or playing video games, I really enjoy the fact that it is something my husband and our son enjoy also.

We took time out of our last minute prep to go caching Sun. We moved along a TB and I got to try out my new gps. Probably won't get the Dr's OK to do anything more than park & grabs for few months but as I improve (and the Dr OKs it) I want to take up hiking and try some caches with more than a 2 rated terrain.

I love it because I then dont have to do laundry, clean the house, wash the dishes, get groceries, clean out the fridge, pull weeds, cut the grass, take out the trash, bathe the dogs, talk to tele marketers..........oh Im sorry the question was what?????

I love it because its fun & the people are great & Im outside for something other than chores. MW

1 - I love the friends I have made and the people I have met. We are a unique group of people. Honestly, I have not met a geocacher I didn't like.... Two of my closest friends I met while geocaching. And my dearest and bestest friend is my favorite geo-partner, although we live two hours apart. One hour each direction is nothing when it comes down to a great puzzle or a FTF!

2 - The places that I have been so close to, but have never seen. I cannot count the times that I have been places that I know, but never knew! Places where I was born and raised. Go to them caching and it is a whole new experience! I have found ruins and learned history because I never really LOOKED before!

3 - Experiences. If you told this city chick that she would be four wheeling in mud pits, climbing up and down mountains, trudging through swamps and spending perfectly good leisure time working on puzzles that she previously thought impossible, she would have said, "NO WAY!" Yet here I am, enjoying every minute of it...

4. History. When I started this, I never realized the places it would take me.....I have learned more about our past and seen places I never dreamed possible!

I been thinking.. this has to be said:

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and peripherals: $250

Palm M515 and charger: $33

GSAK: $25

Premium membership to Groundspeak: $30

Cachemate: $8

The realization that you've spent $346 on tech gizmos to get you out of the house:

Priceless

I can't explain why this game has kept me engaged for over four years and no end in sight. I just enjoy finding caches regardless of the size, type, quality, etc.

Sure there is exercise and experiencing the outdoors and all that, but I can get those things any time I want to. It is just FUN. I wish I could be more active but life keeps getting in the way.

Last week I was in in the Boston area with my wife and daughter and we were able to find a few caches. I had a great time and the game helped us see a few spots that we never would have visited otherwise. I think that is the real atraction for me.

I just wish I would have gotten more of a chance to do some geocaching when I was in Alaska. I want to geocache in Canada. Are there a lot of caches there.

Also, does anybody else think that their GPS is sitting there lauphing at you, or getting mad at you. I mean, you are following this arrow, but it is impossible to go in a straight line most of the time, sometimes I think, my GPS has to be saying, NO, THAT WAY STUPID. But I have to remind myself that it is just a machine, it cant' think, but I still can't help but feel it is telling me "THAT WAY STUPID".

May I suggest Los Ebanos Ferry for a cache in Mexico?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...96c11&log=y

The only hand operated ferry crossing of an international border. Tons of fun and I felt completely safe and comfortable walking the .3 miles to the cache from the ferry.

Those darned government sats are always taunting me.