'Team Clova', 204

'perth pathfinders', 203

'marzipancurtis', 166

'THE SMILEYS', 145

'siloans', 136

'thehaggishunter', 132

'wrighty', 118

'Go Pack Go', 116

Didn't realise Team Marzipan had hidden so many recently!

I did! I know I live closer, but of the one hundred and sixty odd cache TM have done, according to GSAK I've found 153 of the TM caches - there'll be some more soon!

I wonder how many of those I've actually published :grin: and I believe there is one or 2 in the pipeline at the moment :anibad:

All you folks out there that have 50 or more active caches.... Just how do you find the time to maintain them all? Are most of you retired or not working for one reason or another?

After archiving a series recently I'm down to less than 30 and it still takes a significant proportion of my available caching time to keep them in what I consider to be a reasonable state. OK... I'm not retired (yet) so I only have weekends available and they have to be divided up among my other interests and commitments as well as caching but I was spending at least a third of my caching time on checking out my caches. Some need a fair bit of looking after, others not so much but I still like to pay them a routine visit now and again even if nobody has logged a problem.

So... how do you schedule routine and emergency maintenance if you have a hundred or more to look after?

So... how do you schedule routine and emergency maintenance if you have a hundred or more to look after?

Valid question and I've approached it this way. I don't have anywhere near 100 caches but the caches that are within 10 - 15 minutes walk / cycle ride, I'll do small caches (maybe even micros!!) as I know they'll need more maintenance. The ones further away, all lok n loks and ammo boxes. But they are up on the mountains and I need them to be waterproof.

There has been one surprise though - I adopted one near Betws Garmon. Its a micro stuffed inside a split rubber chicken (lollybob influence) and that was one I was expecting to have to do maintenance on. Tempting fate and all that - but nothing so far!

All you folks out there that have 50 or more active caches.... Just how do you find the time to maintain them all? Are most of you retired or not working for one reason or another?

After archiving a series recently I'm down to less than 30 and it still takes a significant proportion of my available caching time to keep them in what I consider to be a reasonable state. OK... I'm not retired (yet) so I only have weekends available and they have to be divided up among my other interests and commitments as well as caching but I was spending at least a third of my caching time on checking out my caches. Some need a fair bit of looking after, others not so much but I still like to pay them a routine visit now and again even if nobody has logged a problem.

Our answer is to perform maintenance almost as soon as it is brought to our attention. I reckon things could soon get out of control if you let maintenance issues build up. Coupled with that, we always maintain our caches once every 6 months whether they need it or not. I suppose the other reason why we are pretty hot on maintenance is because we don't go caching as much as we used to :) Oh, and we don't have other commitments, kids or family to look after, so have plenty of free time.

Well done Bobblycache & Lolly :P .

Currently active caches (original placer) -- estimated

'Team Clova', 198

'snaik', 193

'LollyBob', 190

'Team Marzipan', 165

'perth pathfinders', 162

'THE SMILEYS', 145

'thehaggishunter', 132

'siloans aka daddy', 122

'Gowenhouse', 115

'PopUpPirate', 112

Currently active caches (current owner) -- estimated

'LollyBob', 208

'snaik', 205

'Team Clova', 204

'perth pathfinders', 203

'marzipancurtis', 166

'THE SMILEYS', 145

'siloans', 136

'thehaggishunter', 132

'wrighty', 118

'Go Pack Go', 116

We have 167 caches currently active.... two of which are adopted if I remember right... :roll eyes: If the number on the profile is to be trusted....

Edited by maxkim

I work around the country and the ones away from home are usually near to those areas, London, Chester, Norwich etc. The ones abroad have local people who maintain them for us. The local ones are all on running routes. The hardest bit is keeping tabs on what needs what where. I have a weekly PQ of my owned and needs maintenance tag but it never seems to work properly.... M

I tend to look in if I'm nearby, on a fairly random basis (unless there's cause for concern). Then I sometimes have a bit of a checking session, taking in quite a few in a sweep.

Some more remote caches that I checked early this year I'd not been to for more than 5 years and they still didn't need any maintenance. But I'm aware of a few that are a bit more delicate and problem-prone so I visit those more often.

I try to place caches using the most robust container possible (particularly if they're hard to get to) and often use a camo bag for good measure. The nylon ones are breathable so help prevent plastic boxes degrading and getting damp.

Oddly, ammo boxes tend to need more regular attention as they rust and the hinges seize up or break. It also helps a lot if caches are hidden in really suitable spots, where even the most slapdash cacher finds it easy to return the box to its hidey hole.

List of cachers that have more than 100 available caches (give or take a few I guess):

OwnerName	count(*) 
L E G E N D	605 
Flatcoat Walker	540 
poshrule	506 
perth pathfinders	439 
outforthehunt	415 
Team Marzipan	371 
snaik	362 
T A G	341 
Scottiedogz	325 
kevham1	320 
mikelevett	280 
Team Clova	279 
stanthews	259 
jaceyb99	243 
HUBBLEGARDNER	241 
LordOfTheCachers	238 
The Magna Defender	219 
Gowenhouse	214 
wrighty	213 
CaptainJack.	211 
RoobyDoo	206 
THE SMILEYS	200 
nozi parkerz	198 
martlakes	196 
Dair Mor	190 
LostInTheWoods!	184 
Schoolfrenz	180 
allieballie	180 
Sir Big Farmer Giles	179 
Barry'n'Shirley	178 
KnightFamily1980	177 
rodz	172 
sadexploration	163 
Woking Wonders	163 
tjapukai	160 
redirected male	158 
FantasyRaider	150 
The Webbies	148 
Us 4 and Jess	145 
Renegade Rabbit	145 
GeoCotch	142 
Hillgorilla	141 
Mr Truffles	141 
The Teddies	141 
MrCryptic	139 
jazzyjessups	135 
PopUpPirate	134 
maxkim	131 
helennbrian	131 
C-Kit	131 
frozboz	129 
Ailec Nor	128 
mrplenty	123 
PuReWaRRioR69	122 
darapotter	122 
dinglefoot	121 
Water Slider	119 
Wild Goosey	118 
TedsTeam	117 
Khoomfay	117 
The Cache Hoppers	117 
roger-rabbit	116 
drsolly	116 
groatiebuckies	115 
LollyBob	115 
bsh92673	115 
matt7159	114 
angellica	114 
grimmerscotting	113 
fat bloke	113 
PhilPamAndRob	112 
nobbyspiles	111 
Go Pack Go	111 
robertburns	110 
The Imp	110 
natterjacktoad	110 
Happy Landins	108 
fawnsy	107 
footsore & weary	106 
JOESMILE	105 
signyred	105 
cats-eyes	104 
Alibags	103 
undermanager	102 
Nutty & Evil	101 
DRUGHUNTER	101 
Team-SK	100 
poohtiggs	100

@Ant89 - I think it is more of a case that some of their caches are out of date! Well, archived at least :) The list is for "available" caches (not archived or temp disabled).

Team Marzipan have 525 caches linked to that account as per GC. According to my database 134 are archived, 5 temp disabled, 371 are active which leave 15 unaccounted for which will be some non-UK caches(Canary Islands, Antigua et al) and an odd missing archived UK cache/event. I hope that is more clear.

You're right that the stats perhaps don't do these guys justice but I have no reliable way of knowing which caches they have adopted out. I should also have said the above numbers relate to UK caches only.

And we all know what Winston said about stats! :lol:

THE SMILIES are certainly very active around here. Seemingly anywhere you go in Northumberland or the Lake District, if there's a cache to find chances are it'll be a Smilies cache. I don't mind because they are always well done with accurate coordinates and a decent container.

They must spend a lot of time maintaining all of those caches!

Flatcoat Walker has hidden around 575 caches and I would estimate that possible 500 of those are still active.

I have never come across one of hers that has had a NM on it and has not been visited, by her, within 7 days.

Yes I agree, most of the series down our way ( I do believe your in the Horsham area) are Flatcoat Walkers, and I they are all very well maintained. Had one DNF the other day, the next day she temporarily disabled it after confirming it wasn't there.