Tequila: 81 Proof

Tequila

(2) Scent article sealed inside two Zip-Loc bags.

Dirty underwear from each team member FedEx'ed to northernpenguin....

Something tells me to ignore that FedEx "Sorry we missed you" sticker on my front door tomorrow...

This has the makings of an "epic" adventure so I too am looking forward to reading the logs (and finding out where Avernar got stuck/broke the Jeep this time around......

(2) Scent article sealed inside two Zip-Loc bags.

Dirty underwear from each team member FedEx'ed to northernpenguin....

We have worked off worse scent articles. My favourite is chewed up bacon. Tricky getting the hound to smell and not eat.

If you want Tequila and I to come find you,

Alternatively, you could just walk the 100 metres to the road, stick out your thumb and hope a bus load of Tropicana girls stops to pick you up <_< Good luck on your quest, can't wait to read the logs!!!

Hmmmm. Tropicana girls?? Bloodhound?? Tough decision. ;)

This has the makings of an "epic" adventure so I too am looking forward to reading the logs (and finding out where Avernar got stuck/broke the Jeep this time around......

Oh please, please, please let Avernar have an epic (mis)adventure for all to read! <_<

Somehow I still don't think Avernar will let you off the hook even if he sinks his jeep. The canoe story will live on.

Looking forward to reading about the adventures of the great northern trek and crossing the finish line in Markham.

Oh please, please, please let Avernar have an epic (mis)adventure for all to read! :)

Sorry geek, no misadventures. The Jeep is still in one piece.

I did slide backwards down the hill at Air is Thin for about 5 meters or so.

Oh please, please, please let Avernar have an epic (mis)adventure for all to read! :D

Sorry geek, no misadventures. The Jeep is still in one piece.

I did slide backwards down the hill at Air is Thin for about 5 meters or so.

Looking forward to the video of that one! :)

Now I just have to drag Chuck out to the cache... :blink:

Mission accomplished! :anibad:

I'm looking forward to the Reunion Event!

And a fine mission it was!!!!! :blink:

Another fun signing. Great to see a bunch of your friends come out to share in your achievement.

Thank you for the Anejo. It will be added to the growing collection and form a cornerstone of the celebration at the Tequila:81 Proof Reunion Event scheduled for 2011.

And, welcome to the growing iPhone 4 army. Keep sharing info on the cool apps you find. :)

As 2010 draws to a close, I thought I would take this opportunity to thank the 19 cachers who successfully completed the Tequila:81Proof Challenge over the past 12 months. The logs make for great reading.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we plan to have an event around a Finder's Reunion sometime in 2011. Details to follow.

Also, thanks to the various cachers who selected T:81 as one of their favourites. Obviously the cache itself is nothing special but the adventure getting there is.

All the best of the new year to the 19 and everyone else in the caching community.

As 2010 draws to a close, I thought I would take this opportunity to thank the 19 cachers who successfully completed the Tequila:81Proof Challenge over the past 12 months. The logs make for great reading.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we plan to have an event around a Finder's Reunion sometime in 2011. Details to follow.

Also, thanks to the various cachers who selected T:81 as one of their favourites. Obviously the cache itself is nothing special but the adventure getting there is.

All the best of the new year to the 19 and everyone else in the caching community.

I concur - with one statement in particular. I'll leave it up to the CO to figure out to which one I am referring. :P

I concur - with one statement in particular. I'll leave it up to the CO to figure out to which one I am referring. :P

Well, it can't be the third paragraph because it was pretty special watching the mosquitoes feast on geek flesh on the way to the cache.

So I am guessing your liver agrees that Tequila is 81 Proof.

The new year is off to a fast start. Heading out shortly to meet our first signee of the new year.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I know who you are meeting today and I am so very happy for them. Congratulate them for me ;)

I will make a dogged :) attempt to do so.

Completion # 28: dawgpound23

Congratulations. Nice to meet you at the final. Loved the stories of peril completing the last two caches. And kudos from them to Ara K for inspiring them to complete the challenge.

CONGRATULATIONS TEAM DAWGPOUND!!! I am so happy that you made it and so early in the new year to boot. These two have to be the most intense geocachers that I've ever met. If enough hours existed in a day to get all 81 done they would have. Welcome to the club you deserve it! We will need to celebrate for sure next time I see you.

Quoted from cachedrone posted here

As far as I know and how the Ontario reviewers understand it is that we will be applying the updated language for any new reviews of unpublished listings only. Already existing challenge caches are grandfathered, as is the standard procedure with other updates. While some may point to the removal of Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) based caches, and their conversion back in 2009, that was an exceptional case. Groundspeak, with the exception of the ALR based caches, uses the grandfathered approach.

If my understanding is correct then this cache, which many of us have worked hard to achieve is still valid as it stands and the ALR's are still required.

Bottom line;

If you have nothing good to say about this cache please log your find and your ALR which is still required and try not to down play the fun and enjoyment that other have had.

There is nothing that any cacher can do or say that will minimize my meeting the requirements of this challenge cache - particularly when one considers that it was done in the company of some amazing friends leading to some very memorable experiences. While the update does prohibit date restrictions, it is my reading that existing challenges are grandparented, and that cachers must still demonstrate to the CO's satisfaction that they have met the challenge. As the owner of a number of challenge caches, if the proof was not provided I would consider it to be a bogus log and delete it as per the challenge cache guidelines. If my requirements are that you must provide a detailed list of caches to meet my challenge and this requirement has been approved by the reviewer, then simply telling me that the caches can be found in your profile does not meet that particular requirement. I do try to make my logging requirements as easy as possible and thanks to one cacher in particular, ky.m.guy, some of my caches have macros created specifically by him - now how cool is that! He is the kind of cacher that I strive to be - always willing to help out a fellow cacher - yet here I am posting a note like this - sigh.

But that is just me.

Completing this challenge with my friends or on my own opened up a whole new world of what was possible. Finding caches that qualified was a big part of the challenge and made the experience so much more memorable to me. Recently a friend of mine was describing an advanced educational and leadership program he had helped develop as a "hurdle" intended to challenge people to move out of their comfort level and I think that this challenge presented a hurdel for me to leave my comfort level occasionally and see what was possible. Now here I am almost two years later, planning a solo trip to Florida and back and stopping to find 6 state "Fizzy" challenges that I qualify for, along with a few unique caches that will take me to some beautiful locations. I just want to thank Tequila for creating this challenge, and to my friends for helping me jump those hurdles from time to time. :)

In the last 24 hours I’ve heard several times “its just a cache” “it doesn’t matter” “its just a game” “it doesn’t matter” but to me it does. It isn’t JUST A CACHE, for me it’s a personal journey, a journey of pride, a journey of friendships, of grief and accomplishments. I’ll never forget how proud I was the day Ara ‘K” finished Tequila 81 proof and I got to see her log the find. This was a feat at the time I wasn’t sure could even be done and here she was not only proving to me that it could be, but encouraging me to take it on. Soon after that day tragedy struck our family it was a time of great anger and grief, the push to complete this challenge brought me through a very rough time in our lives. It gave me a reason to look past our own self-pity and find something beyond it to strive for. Those few months in 2010 went from the worst of times to the best of times. The challenge taught me a lot about pushing myself, it taught me a whole lot about friendships and has given me the most incredible memories during a time when other memories were fading. So when I see someone log a find that doesn’t qualify and throws it in our faces because of an interpretation on a set of rules I get quite upset and because of my strong personality I also get vocal. I don’t care who thinks what of me but I do care that I let the likes of someone bring me down to this level. I don’t apologize for my actions I firmly stand behind what I say. It may be JUST A CACHE to some of you but to me this was a life changing journey it may sound silly and you may not get it but you don’t really need to, this is my journey and its time for me to start the next phase of it.

Mrs T.

This cache has been listed as our "All Time Favourite" cache since Jan.3/11, the day we logged it, and we are still very proud of the accomplishments.

We concur with Entogeek's comment "There is nothing that any cacher can do or say that will minimize my meeting the requirements of this challenge cache".

Team Dawgpound

P.S - Nicely put Treknschmidt...Nicely put!!

Can I have another amen brothers and sisters. This looks so much like a love fest I am expecting a rendition of kumbaya to break out. I didn't realize I could cause such a volume of emotion and rage over one log. For a lot personal quests, it amazes me how much actions of one individual can cause such grief. I have decided it is not worth all the hassle, though the attention I seem to be getting is reassuring I am still very popular, and deleted the possibly offending log. I have almost 5,000 finds and will be celebrating my 5,000th with fiends so one smiley doesn't mean anything to me. You may return to paying homage to your alter.

By the way, along the line of the recent posts. My advice to you is to remember that life is the ultimate personal journey. If you are getting bogged down with what other people do or think, you are wasting part of that journey. You are entitled to your path just as much as others are entitled to theirs. Keep that in mind before condemning others.

While I was initially irked, I do believe the whole thing has become a bit overblown (particularly over on Facebook).

The current challenge is "grandfathered" so it is as it always was.

As others have pointed out, even if the challenge is changed later, or archived, or people post things about the challenge that upset me, this cache still represents one of the higher points in my geocaching career, and I'll still look back on the adventures I partook in when I'm much older.

I was going to post a long winded reply, but seriously, what for? Your right, life is too short to waste on those that don't matter!

You deleted your T81 log because "it's not worth the hassle"? No you deleted it because you knew you were in the wrong! You don`t qualify!

Order has now been restored to the universe and we can all continue worshiping OUR altar.

Congrats on your 5000th find, hope you and your friend have fun.

Mr. T.

I think it is time to bring this thread back into line of discussion of this challenge and within the forum posting guidelines. Further discussion on Challenge caches in general should be taken offline or in the challenge cache thread. Further, unproductive postings will result in the closure of the thread. Thank you.

Several people have made statements about Tequila: 81 Proof having an ALR in it. I've looked it over again very carefully and I just don't see any.

Due to strange accident in the multiverse, it was published by the Groundspeak Lackey "OpinioNate" while Tequila and I were still fine tuning it but it was pretty much ready for public consumption. But I can assure you that certain requirements for challenge-based caches were not yet carved in stone, hence why "Challenge" is not in the title, but at the time it met every requirement for publication.

When Groundspeak made the decision to remove ALR-based components and require conversions, this listing was automatically on my list to check. I saw nothing needing attention then or now. If there is something in the gray zone about it please feel free to let me know so I can work with the CO.

Personal disclaimer: This cache is also very personal to me as a reviewer because working with Tequila on it was a pivotal point in our relationship. I am, of course, able to act as a reviewer about this or any listing. I merely raise this so diffuse any conflict of interest. If that makes some uncomfortable, I will defer to any other reviewer... likely Cache-Tech.

I normally would remain silent in this issue and be thought a fool rather than open myopathy and remove all doubt. However I must addy perspective on this.

At the moment I am writing this from India. It's a wonderful country and I've met many people on personal journeys. I've seen many poor and desperate people too. They are on journeys. I've seen a man with no legs and one hand missing, simple walk up and down the street with flip flops tied to his knees. He doesn't ask for money yet receives gifts regularly from tourists. Another man has withered legs and scootches along the ground dragging his feet and begging for food or money. I was told by a savvy traveller that the local "Mafia" will govern his gifts and expect money from him for protection and permission to "walk" and beg on the tourists. These two story's are not unique. I could go on with similar scenarios.

When I cached for 366 days in a row and hit cache #1000 and T81 on the same day I thought that was a journey. I was mistaken. If waking up and down trails with 2 good legs and a GPSr that is the equivalent of 1-years salary in India for just a game is a journey then "Baby, you haven't had a journey yet".

I have also seen how the lest fortunate live. I was a little put pack by it with such a drastic change in class and life style only separated by a few hundred meters. It does give one a true respect for what we have and what others don't. I agree with your gg and you have put it so well.

As per CacheDrone's post about this cache not containing any ALR's. If I understand stand correctly that ALR stands for additional logging requirement the this cache definitely has them. The minimum required to log a find on almost any cache is to sign the log book. Some cache types have been given an exemption so that they mast ask for additional requirements to be met before logging a find is permitted. That would be additional logging requirements. Just because it is permitted to have additional logging requirements on a cache does not mean an ALR does not exists. They are just accepted forms of additional logging requirements.

With all due respect a person's "journey" is a personal thing. We all define it differently.

Some people go geocaching.

Some people will go for a month long hike in the woods.

Some people volunteer.

This site is about geocaching, so it's only natural we're going to celebrate our geocaching "journeys" on this site.

But, we really need to make a separate thread for this sort of talk. We've been told by the reviewers to go back to the original concept of this thread, which is to discuss particulars about 81 Proof, things like does this cache qualify, or "yay" we've got another person completing it. The thing that kicked off this latest bout of "drama" has been corrected for a few days now.

As per CacheDrone's post about this cache not containing any ALR's. If I understand stand correctly that ALR stands for additional logging requirement the this cache definitely has them. The minimum required to log a find on almost any cache is to sign the log book. Some cache types have been given an exemption so that they mast ask for additional requirements to be met before logging a find is permitted. That would be additional logging requirements. Just because it is permitted to have additional logging requirements on a cache does not mean an ALR does not exists. They are just accepted forms of additional logging requirements.

I agree with you that the current solution that allows for Groundspeak Listing-Based Prerequisites could still be considered by some as "Additional Logging Requirements". And we see what others also would be viewed as "ALRs" in Virtual Caches since many of those have photo requirements and/or email me the answer to questions that under the current LR&G would not pass muster. Heck, even EarthCaches still on a basic level have ALRs but as a subset of Virtuals at least it is consistent.

Yes when it comes to physical geocaches with logbooks, a compilation of Groundspeak Listings to validate completion after signing the log is the only extra activity permitted. If some believe this is an ALR, that is a personal choice. For me, I find it more logistically viable than the previous options.

edit to add: so when it comes to T81, I don't see any ALR. I see the same sort of validation common on all other challenge caches.

:cool: CD

Edited by CacheDrone