Tequila: 81 Proof

Tequila

BTW, you arriving by public transit?

Hah, no, assuming intrepidca is willing to hold off on his T81 find until the 21st, then he and I will be arriving together to sign the log :)

I can be there on the 21st .....

Awesome! The more the merrier :)

On August 21st, we must party with Tequila. ;)

Congratulations to Intrepidca and The Bruce0. It feels good to have it done.

I second my congratulations to you both. Nice seeing you sign in at the final. :P

Congratulations to Intrepidca and The Bruce0!!!! great work!!!....wondering how many more will sign in before the snow flies.

Finally got the log up. Man, hard to keep it under 4000 characters :D hehe

Thanks for the great time. Sorry I had to cut festivities short, it was a tight schedule.

Hope the Lime Diet Cokes weren't too warm or shook up :P the bottles were from Atlanta... haven't found them here at all, let alone 2L bottles. A worthy challenge my friend! But I think I may be drinking it occasionally now. It's not too bad =)

Great to see ye again Chuck. I'm sure we'll cross paths again many times in the future :lol:

We had another great signing event last night with the BFL gang.

Congratulations to northernpenguin on accepting and completing the challenge.

Looking forward to another great log relating all the adventures leading up to the signing.

Who is next?????

Hello Tequila and the 81 club.

I have just completed my requirements this week with the MMS Finale on Manitoulin Island and with that also the last Mini-Fizzy. I'm hoping to stop by and find the cache this evening Mon. Sept. 20.

Cheers, Norshley

London, ON.

Looking forward to another great log relating all the adventures leading up to the signing.

Who is next?????

I have just completed my requirements this week with the MMS Finale on Manitoulin Island and with that also the last Mini-Fizzy. I'm hoping to stop by and find the cache this evening Mon. Sept. 20.

Cheers, Norshley

London, ON.

Congratulations on completing this challenge. I would recommend wearing long pants to get to the cache but at least the mozzies should be dying off and not much of an issue LOL.

Who is next?????

Cheers, Norshley

London, ON.

Congratulations on completing this challenge. I would recommend wearing long pants to get to the cache but at least the mozzies should be dying off and not much of an issue LOL.

Thanks, Skyecat. Did wear long pants. Took a full-body wipeout in the meadow just south of the archery range, with invisible uneven ground. No mosquitoes, but serious ragweed bushwack. Glad to have the challenge done, and to join the 81 club.

Rob (Norshley)

;)

Thanks, Skyecat. Did wear long pants. Took a full-body wipeout in the meadow just south of the archery range, with invisible uneven ground. No mosquitoes, but serious ragweed bushwack. Glad to have the challenge done, and to join the 81 club.

Rob (Norshley)

;)

Congrats on completing T81 !

I seem to recall the CO took a similar dive in the ragweed on the way back from my signing in. There's a bunch of hidden spots just waiting to catch a wayward foot on that ground!

Can we get a ruling for GCGF14 ACT 277?

Old rating: 5/5

New rating: 5/4.5

Disqualified or treated as a 5/5?

Rule 4 states: No rating (D/T) changes to existing caches will be accepted as counting toward your goal.

Therefore it gets the rating it had when T:81 was published. 5/5

If it was me, I would ignore this cache and use another 5/5 but that is just me. You are free to use it as a 5/5.

Not sure why the rating was changed. My understanding is that a canoe cache had to have a terrain rating of 5.

why change it to 4.5? :ph34r:

there is no doubt this is really a T5, and the D/T guidelines suggest the same

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience

(boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc.) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p....page&id=82

i don't think such changes should be allowed upon adoption, especially on caches that have been around such a long time, and tbh quite pointless to adjust it half star

Edited by t4e

i don't think such changes should be allowed upon adoption, especially on caches that have been around such a long time, and tbh quite pointless to adjust it half star

The cache was adopted a year ago. The rating change happened sometime between Aug 15th and Sept 20th of this year.

The cache was adopted a year ago. The rating change happened sometime between Aug 15th and Sept 20th of this year.

that makes it even weirder and no note from the CO either

regardless i still think such changes should not be allowed after a set time after publication

i would really like to know what the logic was behind the change

off topic: how pretty we're all avatarless

Edited by t4e

Therefore it gets the rating it had when T:81 was published. 5/5

Thanks. Overriding it to a 5/5 in my macro.

If it was me, I would ignore this cache and use another 5/5 but that is just me. You are free to use it as a 5/5.

That's what my macro does with those. It allows them as a find but still suggests you find another one.

Ummm... anyone read the latest log for this particular cache? :D:ph34r::blink:

I thought it was a 5/5 and was thinking my eyesight had gone even wonkier! ;);)

can you walk over to it in the winter, does it freeze?

It will be interesting to find out why it was changed.

However, knowing the CO, I doubt there was any malicious intent associated with the change.

i don't think it was malicious either

hopefully he will reply to satisfy the curiosity

Snowshoeing might be possible, if the road to the access point is plowed in the winter (which I doubt it is).

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/campi...ccess-point.php

A very long snowshoe hike it would be:

Accessible by canoe or kayak, expect a trip of approximately 13km in from the Kiosk Access Point. The route includes 3 portages (265m, 275m & 1355m)

Snowshoeing might be possible, if the road to the access point is plowed in the winter (which I doubt it is).

A very long snowshoe hike it would be:

Accessible by canoe or kayak, expect a trip of approximately 13km in from the Kiosk Access Point. The route includes 3 portages (265m, 275m & 1355m)

we've been in Algonquin in the winter and none of the parking areas or side roads where plowed

13kms is not that long, the problem is we never used snowshoes

can perhaps dress in black and white and go with some scuba fins

next day's headline news: "penguins have been spotted in Algonquin" :blink:

It will be interesting to find out why it was changed.

However, knowing the CO, I doubt there was any malicious intent associated with the change.

Alright, since none of the cachers who contacted me directly for information posted an update to the forum, I'll just re-post my reply here for all to see:

I own a number of caches, almost all of which have been active for atleast 4 years, some as long as 7. From experience, I can tell you that the terrain and difficulty of a hide can and does change over the course of time. I do not view the D/T ratings as static, and I adjust them as required to better reflect the current challenge of the cache. As far as the geocaching "guidelines" and clayjar's rating system, all of my hides are within .5 to 1 star of what the script generates, and I'll adjust the rating to what I feel best reflects the challenge of the cache.

Again, guidelines are just that... guidelines. Personally, I don't care if specialized equipment is required, what really matters is if specialized training is required to operate that equipment. Anyone can rent a canoe and paddle to a cache, that does not automatically make it terrain 5 in my book. Heh, you could just wait until winter and snowshoe to the cache! (I winter camp at Kiosk and have walked to Manitou Lake on the ice) However, try going for a scuba cache or using rock climbing gear without proper training. You can, and probably would, kill yourself in the process. That merits 5 star. None of my other canoe accessible caches are rated at 5 stars, and ACT 277 is a pretty easy trip compared to some.

When I adopted the cache from the original owner last year, I received permission to fix up the hide and make any changes required. The original hide was a micro, and would not have been considered a 5 difficulty, maybe a 3. When I replaced the missing container with an ammo can, I did my best to hide it in such a way as to maintain the original 5 difficulty. (And, if you read the most recent log, I'm afraid I may have been too successful). However, it was pointed out to me on a maintenance trip through Algonquin in August, that none of my other canoe caches are 5 terrain. I think the person was hinting for me to raise the terrain of my other caches to 5, but it backfired.

No need to worry, NONE of the 7 successful finders of this cache have used it as a part of ANY challenge cache. Besides, there are far easier 5/5 caches for people to go after.

I hope that clears things up. If someone does not agree with my rating system, they are free to assign their own personal rating to any of my caches. :P

TOMTEC

Interesting discussion on the fairness of date restricted challenge caches in this forum thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=262700

For the record, I will not be removing the date restriction on Tequila: 81 Proof.

When it reaches the point where it is no longer possible due to a specific combo being totally archived, I will archive the cache.

When it reaches the point where it is no longer possible due to a specific combo being totally archived, I will archive the cache.

I suspect that at that point there will be some cachers still actively working on this challenge that already have the archived combo. You'll probably have to announce some future date for the archival to give them a fair chance to finish. I know I wouldn't want multiple contracts taken out on my life. :(

I suspect that at that point there will be some cachers still actively working on this challenge that already have the archived combo. You'll probably have to announce some future date for the archival to give them a fair chance to finish. I know I wouldn't want multiple contracts taken out on my life. :(

Good point.