Tequila: 81 Proof

Tequila

Love the originality of your cache, Tequila. Great job! Looking forward to the challenge of completing it...might even qualify to be able to do it this weekend, but it'll be awhile before I am in that part of town again.

I can't take credit for the originality. Mine is patterned after one in Kentucky (GC code is mentioned in my listing) and it is patterned after another cache in California:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc11e8n

I will be curious to see how many, if any, Ontario cachers have the combination. I am short by about 11.

Chuck

Edited by Tequila

Question: Does one have to hit all the D/T combinations for all the listed cache types?

I'm not sure I know of any 5/5 earthcaches, but then again I haven't looked it up yet either.

Definately an interesting concept here!

No. You have to hit all 81 combinations using any type of cache you wish. In addition, those 81 must include 1 of each of the types specified. So it would be possible to do this cache with 74 Traditionals and 1 each of the other 7 types. As long as you have covered the 81 D/T combos

Hmmm, we'll be out that way this summer but I haven't a clue how to create this data to see where we're at on the way to 81. Probably not too far off.

Is there anyone who would like to trade some GSAK knowledge of macros and this FindStatGen thingy for some geocoins or something :laughing::D ? Maybe we'll be in the running as well as in the neighbourhood this summer.

This would be a good time for me to comment on the valuable assistance of Cache Drone in helping me put together this cache.

I have been somewhat critical of the local cache approvers recently. So, I decided to take a different approach with this cache, AND I highly recommend future owners do this if you are doing something out of the ordinary.

I worked with Cache Drone prior to submitting the cache to come up with a good description etc. C/D was very helpful with logging suggestions (you can thank him for not needing a webcam :D ) He also gets credit with coming up with the final name. And my friend, Brook22, had a lot of input into the name.

Tequila

Hey no fair omitting APE and Webcam caches (but I'm glad you missed out the Wherigo ones). Can I trade my 2 APE (must take a trip to Brazil!!) and 5 webcam finds for a CITO? I did pick up some empty chip packets off the ground once. :laughing:

I like the fact that you feel 82 caches can be found in one hour or less :D

Hmmm, we'll be out that way this summer but I haven't a clue how to create this data to see where we're at on the way to 81. Probably not too far off.

Is there anyone who would like to trade some GSAK knowledge of macros and this FindStatGen thingy for some geocoins or something :laughing::D ? Maybe we'll be in the running as well as in the neighbourhood this summer.

I will email you the macro.

# Caches hidden but never intended to meet their D/T rating are ineligible. They're pretty obvious. Specifically, liar caches are not eligible.

# All caches logged as FOUND on Tequila: 81 Proof must have been placed by the owner with genuine intent to meet the requirements of their D/T (Difficulty/Terrain) rating as outlined on geocaching.com.

Good lock policing that. 90% of the caches I've found are rated incorrectly.

Hey no fair omitting APE and Webcam caches (but I'm glad you missed out the Wherigo ones). Can I trade my 2 APE (must take a trip to Brazil!!) and 5 webcam finds for a CITO? I did pick up some empty chip packets off the ground once. :D

I like the fact that you feel 82 caches can be found in one hour or less :laughing:

At least the 82 are Winter Friendly. :laughing:

# Caches hidden but never intended to meet their D/T rating are ineligible. They're pretty obvious. Specifically, liar caches are not eligible.

# All caches logged as FOUND on Tequila: 81 Proof must have been placed by the owner with genuine intent to meet the requirements of their D/T (Difficulty/Terrain) rating as outlined on geocaching.com.

Good lock policing that. 90% of the caches I've found are rated incorrectly.

If you read the entire cache description, I am not going to "police" it to that extent. If someone wants to "cheat" and still be able to sleep at night, let them. This is meant to be a fun cache. And I did put a rule where caches published after this one are not eligible.

Hopefully everyone will respect the intent and have a good time with it. I know that most of the cachers I have met will.

The forum banter, to date, has made it all worthwhile.

I just went to post a reply and got a "Forum Flooded" response. How cool is that.

Mine is patterned after one in Kentucky

California actually

Kentucky is where they invented the toothbrush :D

Mine was copied from the Kentucky version which was copied from the California version. Working its way east. NFLD will have one next.

Is there anyone who would like to trade some GSAK knowledge of macros and this FindStatGen thingy for some geocoins or something :laughing::laughing: ? Maybe we'll be in the running as well as in the neighbourhood this summer.

I will email you the macro.

We have 21 to go :laughing: . I bet these are going to be the hardest 21 :D

Thanks to another geocacher, I was able to figure it out WITHOUT purchasing the software *cough* - I have a bookmark list of 13 to-dos.. 2 combinations of which contain caches I put out (so i technically did them)

Rule 6 prohibits you from making finds on your own caches to qualify but you should probably mention the two caches here. If you are missing those combos chances are pretty good that other cachers are as well.

BTW, you can't claim finds on your piglet's caches either. :anibad:

Edited by Tequila

Rule 6 prohibits you from making finds on your own caches to qualify but you should probably mention the two caches here. ...

BTW, you can't claim finds on your piglet's caches either. :anibad:

ya, i figured you probably wouldn't let me get away with that :grin:

It is easy enough to find the right combinations by generating pocket queries. The furthest I have to drive is Ottawa, and I have plans to do that in the next few months (although the caches are not looking to be easy finds)

If you read the entire cache description, I am not going to "police" it to that extent. If someone wants to "cheat" and still be able to sleep at night, let them. This is meant to be a fun cache. And I did put a rule where caches published after this one are not eligible.

Hopefully everyone will respect the intent and have a good time with it. I know that most of the cachers I have met will.

So everyone needs to go through all 81 caches and check to make sure that the are rated correctly and that they did not get published after yours? A lot of work. I need 18 BTW, but it is actually probably more as many are not rated correctly.

So everyone needs to go through all 81 caches and check to make sure that the are rated correctly and that they did not get published after yours? A lot of work. I need 18 BTW, but it is actually probably more as many are not rated correctly.

You seem to be looking for a problem where there isn't one.

First of all, if it is "a lot of work" for you, just hit the Ignore button. That is what it is there for. Geocaching, and this cache, is supposed to be fun, not work. So far, this forum has been extremely positive as has the individual feedback I have received. And it has got all of the area cachers searching around for challenging caches. Suddenly, no one cares about drive up micros.

Second of all, "not rated correctly" is totally immaterial unless it is a liar cache which typically is a 5/5. I am not interested in dis-allowing someone because they found a 3.5/3.0 that should have been 3.5/2.5 or whatever. I have enough faith in humankind to go with the assumption that the cache owner made a best effort to put an appropriate rating on his/her cache and if it is wrong, then it was an honest mistake. I do have a rule that excludes all future caches to prevent "fake" ratings. That is satisfactory enough for me. Therefore, it should be satisfactory enough for you as well.

Second of all, "not rated correctly" is totally immaterial unless it is a liar cache which typically is a 5/5. I am not interested in dis-allowing someone because they found a 3.5/3.0 that should have been 3.5/2.5 or whatever. I have enough faith in humankind to go with the assumption that the cache owner made a best effort to put an appropriate rating on his/her cache and if it is wrong, then it was an honest mistake. I do have a rule that excludes all future caches to prevent "fake" ratings. That is satisfactory enough for me. Therefore, it should be satisfactory enough for you as well.

This forum thread is for the discussion of any aspects of the following cache:

There is no need to get all excited. I'm just discussing your cache, because you said that was the purpose of the thread. You didn't say it all had to be "praise to Tequila" comments. If you did not want both "praise" comments and "constructive" comments, then maybe putting out a thread was not a great plan.

This is the problem, I personally doubt there are really any 5/5 caches out there. There is only one in Alberta. It was found within the first day. That automatically makes it not a 5/5. The hardest (rated) one I've done is a 4/5, but it was not rated properly. So, in order to fulfill your cache requirements, I need to keep finding 4/5 caches until I find one that I'm happy is close to the rating guidelines.

As I said, very rarely do cache owners put the correct rating on the cache....

The rules on the original cache of this type made more sense:

- All finds (except the Event and CITO Events) must be on caches that were published BEFORE this cache (to avoid "dummy caches" being listed just to meet the requirements)

- No rating changes of existing caches will be accepted as counting towards your goal

Edited by Red90

Tell me if you still think that after you have found GC2B27

Good example of a Terrain 5. It does not look like a difficulty 5, though. People don't see the difference and that is the problem.

A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

You see a difficulty 5 means extremely hard to FIND or SOLVE the cache, not difficult to get to. The getting to part is all in the terrain rating.

I've done many caches that are days into the bush, they are normally a low difficulty as the find is straightforward. And most of these are still not listed as a terrain 5. Heck, that one you link to, people are doing in a day trip, that is nothing.

I personally doubt there are really any 5/5 caches out there.

Tell me if you still think that after you have found GC2B27

I'm not quite as worried about locating the 5/5 caches as I am finding the 5/2.5 2/5 and so on. I find the caches tend to jump right from 4/4 to 5/5 B) . Think it's gonna be a while before I nab this one, but I'm also pretty sure I'll call this a badge of honour once I get it. Always like those caches that feel like a reward (kind reminds me of the days almost five years ago when I was running around for the GHMCMC series - THAT was fun B) )

Good example of a Terrain 5. It does not look like a difficulty 5, though. People don't see the difference and that is the problem.

A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

You see a difficulty 5 means extremely hard to FIND or SOLVE the cache, not difficult to get to. The getting to part is all in the terrain rating.

Part of this problem is the rating system most people use will produce 5/5 if special equipment is required for terrain OR difficulty rating. A true 5/5 is a real whopper to actually set up. (Picturing hanging on the side of Kelso mountain with one of those cable-box repairman screwdriver sets to open the cache, that I had to use that special monocle to find).

The problem is most people don't separate the "terrain" rating from the "difficulty". They are completly separate. I can put a cache on the top of Everest. It can still be a 1/5. A 5/5 means I've made you travel 2 days into the bush and even then your chances of finding it are low... A "difficulty" 5 should have many DNFs. The only "nice" way to set one up is to make a very hard puzzle then put the cache at a hard to get to location.