GeoCaching is more than a game.

So for those who will say "if you don't undersatand the groundrules for this ballpark, rather than ask for clarification, you're welcome to leave and go play at the sandlot sown the street, as we don't want you in our community".

That's not being realistic.

Anyway. Thanks Groundspeak for creating such a comprehensive and easy to use site, which has allowed the game to grow to the size it is today. If this site were not created, then many of the players here today would never have heard of the game, or would have found it too difficult to understand and navigate.

You've built a beautiful superhighway that get's many people to their destinations quickly and easily, but when some people ask for the speed limit to be increased, or to add an exit to X destination (or to not close an exit) then to tell them...

"If you don't like our speed limit, or the placement of our exits, then you're welcome to get off our highway. Maybe you should just go and use the slow and difficult to navigate city streets, (or all those dirt roads out in the desert) to get to your destination."

May not be the best response.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

So for those who will say "if you don't undersatand the groundrules for this ballpark, rather than ask for clarification, you're welcome to leave and go play at the sandlot sown the street, as we don't want you in our community". ...

You thread is based on the premise that this position is being taken by anyone. It's been my experience that a request for help is generally met with several replies offering assistance from various angles. Perhaps you could explain who is being told this and by whom. Edited by sbell111

So for those who will say "if you don't undersatand the groundrules for this ballpark, rather than ask for clarification, you're welcome to leave and go play at the sandlot sown the street, as we don't want you in our community".

That's not being realistic.

Anyway. Thanks Groundspeak for creating such a comprehensive and easy to use site, which has allowed the game to grow to the size it is today. If this site were not created, then many of the players here today would never have heard of the game, or would have found it too difficult to understand and navigate.

You've built a beautiful superhighway that get's many people to their destinations quickly and easily, but when some people ask for the speed limit to be increased, or to add an exit to X destination (or to not close an exit) then to tell them...

"If you don't like our speed limit, or the placement of our exits, then you're welcome to get off our highway. Maybe you should just go and use the slow and difficult to navigate city streets, (or all those dirt roads out in the desert) to get to your destination."

May not be the best response.

Another thread to cover the same stuff?

Don't they call that trolling?

So for those who will say "if you don't undersatand the groundrules for this ballpark, rather than ask for clarification, you're welcome to leave and go play at the sandlot sown the street, as we don't want you in our community". ...

You thread is based on the premise that this position is being taken by anyone. It's been my experience that a request for help is generally met with several replies offering assistance from various angles. Perhaps you could explain who is being told this and by whom.

I would have just posted in the original topic that has brought these things to the front of my mind, but they are all being closed. Is that trolling, I don't know, these are the only forums I participate in, and I'm not sure exactly what that means.

In the lively topic that was closed there were several who suggested "if you don't like it then , leave", I can't post my thoughts in reply to them on that thread, do I've brought that up as a seperate issue. This is not an argument for or against the rules themselves, just pointing out that to tell someone they are welcome to leave the community is not a reasonable reply.

Actually, I think that is exactly what most road systems do, especially tollways and expressways. I actually take the backroad here because the tollway charges too much, is slow, and lacks some access where I would like to have it. But I haven't seen a reason to get myself all bent out of shape and go make rants or demands to the tollway about it. That would be rather unproductive.

Anyway, my point is that it is a bad analogy.

Edited by carleenp

This is the whine that never ends... it just goes on and on, my friends...

To call my topic a "Whine"...is that the same as calling me a "Whiner"?

<snip>

*thinks about it*

I suppose it is. If the shoe fits... anyway, I'm done.

<snip>

*thinks about it*

Oh, I see...I didn't notice you were from Nebraska. I'm from California, so we are all Whiners out here. We weren't tough enough to cut it in NE, so we all came out this way.

In my career, there have always been employees that sit around and complain about how much they hate their job. On a few occasions, I've had the priviledge of telling said employees, "If you don't like your job, quit and find a new one... Noone is forcing you to work here"..

I think that applies to anyone that whines and complains about how much they hate Groundspeak and hate the volunteers and hate the employees.. If you hate it so much and are disgusted by everything Groundspeak related, then LEAVE and go find somewhere else to play.

Sounds good to me..

<snip>

*thinks about it*

Oh, I see...I didn't notice you were from Nebraska. I'm from California, so we are all Whiners out here. We weren't tough enough to cut it in NE, so we all came out this way.

I really don't think it has anything to do with being from California.

In my career, there have always been employees that sit around and complain about how much they hate their job. On a few occasions, I've had the priviledge of telling said employees, "If you don't like your job, quit and find a new one... Noone is forcing you to work here"..

I think that applies to anyone that whines and complains about how much they hate Groundspeak and hate the volunteers and hate the employees.. If you hate it so much and are disgusted by everything Groundspeak related, then LEAVE and go find somewhere else to play.

Sounds good to me..

There is something we agree on.

<snip>

*thinks about it*

:D:laughing:

Um, okay. If you say so. Actually, I'm from Vermont, so I must be extra tough. :laughing:

<snip>

*thinks about it*

:D:laughing::D:D:laughing::laughing:

Did I miss something. Or is the angst just building to point of lunacy here? :P:laughing:

:D:D:laughing:B):laughing::laughing:

Did I miss something. Or is the angst just building to point of lunacy here? :D:laughing:

Oh we're only in early stages of angsty lunacy....I've seen it go much higher, much faster. B)

BTW, I'm from Texas, so I'll just throw out that NONE of you are hardy enough to not be considered whiners. :D

(still trying to figure out where that whole thought train came from) :P

Another thread to cover the same stuff?

Don't they call that trolling?

If you used that in every case in these forums there would be a lot less topics to read. The countless micro/lame/etc threads that are created every week would be an automatic lock.

And that would be a bad thing?

Really though, this is a case of the same person launching multiple threads that are tightly related to the same topic...that was the troll description coming out.

:P:laughing::D:D:laughing::laughing:

Did I miss something. Or is the angst just building to point of lunacy here? B):laughing:

Oh we're only in early stages of angsty lunacy....I've seen it go much higher, much faster. :D

BTW, I'm from Texas, so I'll just throw out that NONE of you are hardy enough to not be considered whiners. :D

(still trying to figure out where that whole thought train came from) :D

Not sure, but I'm getting a good laugh out of it now. B)

You thread is based on the premise that this position is being taken by anyone. It's been my experience that a request for help is generally met with several replies offering assistance from various angles. Perhaps you could explain who is being told this and by whom.

This is a little off topic, but sbell111, I have a problem with your picture. Is your dog holding a cat that it just killed? I am sorry if you don't like cats but I do and I find that picture very disturbing. That poor cat, if it is still alive it looks terrified! Please tell me that that poor animal is okay. OMG, how aweful!

Sounds good to me..

I agree 100%. The fact is, "whine and complain" is all perspective. Example, I love what Groundspeak has done for us here. That being said, there's no reason I can't say "You guys rock, and I've got some suggestions to make it even better!". Taking the "you suck and and nothing works like it should" approach is a completely different thing.

I guess the message is be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

So there it is... I appreciate all the work that Groundspeak has put in for us to enjoy what we do. And on that note I should also say that I appreciate all the time that the volunteer reviewers put in so we can have all this wacky fun! And I also look forward to any improvements, upgrades or additions they might have for us in the future.

DCC

Maybe I'm missing something here.

The OP seems to me to be a collection of angsty statements without actually asking for any opinions or input.

However, I'll offer my take on that subject to get a conversation rolling.

I've been a member for just over a year now and lurked in the forums for a time before I joined to see what I was getting into.

From what I've seen in most threads, helpful advice is usually offered by a couple of folks to someone who has a valid complaint, combined with (usually) a bit of an axe to grind.

When all helpful advice is summarily rejected as being a non-working solution, posters realize that sometimes the OP is not so much actually asking for help about the complaint, as it is to grind the axe.

It's why we see so many posts looking for the other side of the story, I think.

That's usually about the time that someone comes in and posts a "if you don't like our game, you can play somewhere else" kind of a post.

I figure the posters here are not much good at axe grinding (me included). It's just human nature to tell someone to move along when they complain, reject any offers of help or assistance as being in the 'you just don't understand' category, and then continue with the complaint.

And there are a few that have been around a lot longer than I have, seen a lot more than I have, and have a lot less patience than I do for those kinds of posters. Some of them will reply back with those love it or leave it posts faster than a jackrabbit on a date. :D

This is a little off topic, but sbell111, I have a problem with your picture. Is your dog holding a cat that it just killed? I am sorry if you don't like cats but I do and I find that picture very disturbing. That poor cat, if it is still alive it looks terrified! Please tell me that that poor animal is okay. OMG, how aweful!

Fear not, Sbells avatar isn't as bad as it looks.

The OP seems to me to be a collection of angsty statements without actually asking for any opinions or input.

However, I'll offer my take on that subject to get a conversation rolling.

I've been a member for just over a year now and lurked in the forums for a time before I joined to see what I was getting into.

From what I've seen in most threads, helpful advice is usually offered by a couple of folks to someone who has a valid complaint, combined with (usually) a bit of an axe to grind.

When all helpful advice is summarily rejected as being a non-working solution, posters realize that sometimes the OP is not so much actually asking for help about the complaint, as it is to grind the axe.

It's why we see so many posts looking for the other side of the story, I think.

That's usually about the time that someone comes in and posts a "if you don't like our game, you can play somewhere else" kind of a post.

I figure the posters here are not much good at axe grinding (me included). It's just human nature to tell someone to move along when they complain, reject any offers of help or assistance as being in the 'you just don't understand' category, and then continue with the complaint.

And there are a few that have been around a lot longer than I have, seen a lot more than I have, and have a lot less patience than I do for those kinds of posters. Some of them will reply back with those love it or leave it posts faster than a jackrabbit on a date. :D

Some time it isn't how good you are at grinding an ax, but rather what you do with it once it has been ground.

The problem here is that the OP seems to be going out of his way to "stir the pot".

... This is a little off topic, but sbell111, I have a problem with your picture. Is your dog holding a cat that it just killed? I am sorry if you don't like cats but I do and I find that picture very disturbing. That poor cat, if it is still alive it looks terrified! Please tell me that that poor animal is okay. OMG, how aweful!

Reminds me of my sister, driving home in a thunderstorm, saw a German Shepard dog chained to a tree in someone's front yard.

Being an animal lover of the first order she stops her car, runs through the pouring rain, beats on these folk's door, and when they open it she lays into them with fire and brimstone about leaving that poor dog out in the storm.

The folks let her run on bit before gently explaining "Ma'm, that's a concrete statue!"

Some time it isn't how good you are at grinding an ax, but rather what you do with it once it has been ground.

The problem here is that the OP seems to be going out of his way to "stir the pot".

Yeah, I kinda got that.

That's always the trouble with grinding someone else's axe. They might start cutting down my favorite tree with it if I'm not careful.

Yeah, I kinda got that.

That's always the trouble with grinding someone else's axe. They might start cutting down my favorite tree with it if I'm not careful.

Which is why you should live in Nebraska!

There ARE no trees. :D

... This is a little off topic, but sbell111, I have a problem with your picture. Is your dog holding a cat that it just killed? I am sorry if you don't like cats but I do and I find that picture very disturbing. That poor cat, if it is still alive it looks terrified! Please tell me that that poor animal is okay. OMG, how aweful!

Reminds me of my sister, driving home in a thunderstorm, saw a German Shepard dog chained to a tree in someone's front yard.

Being an animal lover of the first order she stops her car, runs through the pouring rain, beats on these folk's door, and when they open it she lays into them with fire and brimstone about leaving that poor dog out in the storm.

The folks let her run on bit before gently explaining "Ma'm, that's a concrete statue!"

(wiping tear from eye) Thanks, you have NO idea how bad I needed a good laugh.

Oh, and please tell your sister I'm sorry for laughing at her.

I always thought it was a rabbit. Taking a closer look, it does look like a cat. I love kitties too. So Gof1 or sbell, WHAT is that?

That's not being realistic....

It is a community. Some members are more eager to banish their own over the trivial than others. I started because of the hunt. The community aspect was a pleasant suprise.

It's a statue (or maybe a stuffed animal toy)? Ohhhhh, poor animal still looks terrified, even if it is a statue or toy! Now I feel silly. It looks real!

What WSR is getting at is a standard sycophant responce to virtually any and all posts that are percieved as having even a hint of an anti geocaching.com agenda. You may not notice because you enjoy posting in the melee more than most.

I always thought it was a rabbit. Taking a closer look, it does look like a cat. I love kitties too. So Gof1 or sbell, WHAT is that?

Sbell really should field these questions. I'm working from memory of an old thread. As I recall it is a real cat, but they are buddies. The cat is sitting on the dogs paws and the dogs snout is in front of the cat. It only looks bad. Hard to see the details when it is cropped down to avatar size.

Or I could be wrong and the cat is lunch.

In my career, there have always been employees that sit around and complain about how much they hate their job. ...

In my career there have also been employees who offer up constructive critism that would actually make their job and the company better only to be shut down and be told to quit whining. If the employee had the power to make the change they would. They don't so all they can do is suggest. Strangly that's what happens a lot in the forums.

In my career, there have always been employees that sit around and complain about how much they hate their job. ...

In my career there have also been employees who offer up constructive critism that would actually make their job and the company better only to be shut down and be told to quit whining. If the employee had the power to make the change they would. They don't so all they can do is suggest. Strangly that's what happens a lot in the forums.

I don't mind constructive critisism... You aren't implying that the *other* thread was constructive are you? If so, perhaps we have a different definition of "constructive"... I found the part about calling Groundspeak employees "Idiots" to be rather UN-constructive (or destructive)... So I think the suggestion to pack up her ball and find somewhere else to go play was rather fitting.

It's the dog's pet cat. Since the pup has no hands, she only has the one way to carry the cat around.

Sbell really should field these questions. I'm working from memory of an old thread. As I recall it is a real cat, but they are buddies. The cat is sitting on the dogs paws and the dogs snout is in front of the cat. It only looks bad. Hard to see the details when it is cropped down to avatar size.

It is a cat.

The cat is real.

The cat is in the dog's mouth.

The cat is in no danger.

You are not missing anything to me.

The original post doesn't seem to relate much to the topic title, but it is interesting to see the community's response to the original post. I've been gone all day working out final details for our local CITO and just got back. All I could think was "Oh look, another 'bash Groundspeak' topic." Then I read the topic and read what community members had to say about the original post. Maybe the lesson in this topic is that some of those that bash Groundspeak should listen to the community. The people posting in this topic seem pretty supportive of Groundspeak. Perhaps some of those that just keep grinding their axes should listen to what the majority of the community have to say. I will let you draw your own conclusions based on the topics from the last couple of days.

Even I don't agree with everything Groundspeak does, but I support them for really putting 110 percent into the site and constantly trying to make it better. Weekends have been zippy for quite a long time now. I imagine the highway is still really crowded, but they are managing traffic well. Thanks guys. Keep up the good work.

In my career, I've learned that once I've tried to give constructive criticism and been shut down, I don't keep on about it over and over again. That type of behavior would most likely result in my being asked to leave.

It is a cat.

The cat is real.

The cat is in the dog's mouth.

The cat is in no danger.

See, I knew the cat was safe! I just had the details wrong.

Didn't mean to mislead anyone but didn't want the cat lovers all up in arms.

Actually, I think that is exactly what most road systems do, especially tollways and expressways. I actually take the backroad here because the tollway charges too much, is slow, and lacks some access where I would like to have it. But I haven't seen a reason to get myself all bent out of shape and go make rants or demands to the tollway about it. That would be rather unproductive.

Anyway, my point is that it is a bad analogy.

My point was that if you ask your city to add or remove a stop sign, and they tell you that you are welcome to move to a new city if you don't like...That's not a valid solution to rour request.

This thread is not directed at GS.com, it is simply some thoughts that I would have posted in another topic, but that conversation has been shut down. So I come here to bring up the idea that it is not a valid solution just to tell people to leave.

If you don't like that some with differing opinions than yours are here, you're welcome to leave the thread, and start your own GeoCaching blog on some other site.

If you have some valid point to make I'm glad to hear it, if you wand just to call me a whiner and attack my computer skills, then you're welcome to keep it to yourself. I have not done these things to you.

This thread is not directed at GS.com, it is simply some thoughts that I would have posted in another topic, but that conversation has been shut down. So I come here to bring up the idea that it is not a valid solution just to tell people to leave.

If you don't like that some with differing opinions than yours are here, you're welcome to leave the thread, and start your own GeoCaching blog on some other site.

If you have some valid point to make I'm glad to hear it, if you wand just to call me a whiner and attack my computer skills, then you're welcome to keep it to yourself. I have not done these things to you.

So you are allowed to shoot of your mouth but we have to shut up?

You are not missing anything to me.

The original post doesn't seem to relate much to the topic title, but it is interesting to see the community's response to the original post. I've been gone all day working out final details for our local CITO and just got back. All I could think was "Oh look, another 'bash Groundspeak' topic." Then I read the topic and read what community members had to say about the original post. Maybe the lesson in this topic is that some of those that bash Groundspeak should listen to the community. The people posting in this topic seem pretty supportive of Groundspeak. Perhaps some of those that just keep grinding their axes should listen to what the majority of the community have to say. I will let you draw your own conclusions based on the topics from the last couple of days.

Even I don't agree with everything Groundspeak does, but I support them for really putting 110 percent into the site and constantly trying to make it better. Weekends have been zippy for quite a long time now. I imagine the highway is still really crowded, but they are managing traffic well. Thanks guys. Keep up the good work.

How is this not related to the topic title. I've seen many statements in various threads lately where posters seem to be of the opinion that if you are at all unhappy with anything at this site or these forums, then you should just pack up and leave. They have said, if you don't like it go play somewhere else.

My point is that this is not just a game. It is a community, and it's not a constructive or practical solition to tell people that it they want anything in the community changed that they should just leave. Maybe for some this is just a game, and it goes no further in their lives. For others (myself included) this is more than just a game, and is a community I belong to.

If all you have to say is that I am whining, or to accuse me of some malicious activity because you're not understanding the space of time between my posts, then yes you're welcome to shut up. If you actually have anything to say, then you're welcome to say it.

I'm simply applying the same logic used by others to this thread. I'm not telling anyone to shut up, I'm not a moderator and have no ability to do that, I'm only saying that you are welcome to.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT
For others (myself included) this is more than just a game, and is a community I belong to.

Ahhh. Perhaps you should listen to the community.

The community as a whole isn't really happy with your topic. Have you considered that maybe you are not in step with the community?

My point was that if you ask your city to add or remove a stop sign, and they tell you that you are welcome to move to a new city if you don't like...That's not a valid solution to rour request.

That's true, if you were pleasant and polite and went through the proper channels. But if you slammed open the door to a city hall meeting and came in rambling about how everyone was a bunch of idiots and that everyone hated octagons because they were removing the stop sign, what would you do?

That's true, if you were pleasant and polite and went through the proper channels. But if you slammed open the door to a city hall meeting and came in rambling about how everyone was a bunch of idiots and that everyone hated octagons because they were removing the stop sign, what would you do?

I fail to see how I have slammed the door open. I'm simply trying to keep the door from being slammed shut.