cyber6

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.51:

* Added ability to reposition waypoint to current location

* Added support for language-specific keyboards

* Added support for editing location in all position formats

* Added Spanner support

* Improved drawing of BlueChart tidal areas

* Improved performance when exiting mass storage mode

* Improved paperless goecaching (various)

* Improved Wherigo player (various)

* Corrected potential shutdown when selecting maps with a large variety of maps loaded

* Corrected potential shutdown when profiling a long route

* Corrected avoiding highways

* Corrected display of found geocaches

* Corrected issue preventing name of lakes and rivers from showing when highlighted

* Corrected display of bridge heights

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.51:

* Added ability to reposition waypoint to current location

* Added support for language-specific keyboards

* Added support for editing location in all position formats

* Added Spanner support

* Improved drawing of BlueChart tidal areas

* Improved performance when exiting mass storage mode

* Improved paperless goecaching (various)

* Improved Wherigo player (various)

* Corrected potential shutdown when selecting maps with a large variety of maps loaded

* Corrected potential shutdown when profiling a long route

* Corrected avoiding highways

* Corrected display of found geocaches

* Corrected issue preventing name of lakes and rivers from showing when highlighted

* Corrected display of bridge heights

w00t!

No noticeable added features (i.e. wish list), but it did seem to fix the lockups on some descriptions I was having.

Also, marking a cache as a DNF does NOT change the icon on the map.

FWIW, the update files for the 300 and 400t are exactly the same.

Edited by TheNash's

Spanner works and it offers an interesting side feature -- the ability to connect to a PC w/o going into Mass storage mode.

Goto Setup->System->Interface and select Garmin Spanner. When you connect to a USB cable you'll be asked if you want to go into USB storage mode or not. If you do, it works the same way as it always did if you don't you'll be connected to the PC with the GPS in an operational mode and it looks like you are getting power from the PC's USB cable (screen is really bright like the auto adapter). I ran Spanner and connected ExpertGPS to the virtual COM port and it started tracking.

GO$Rs

@Marky http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1627

I reloaded 10-12 geocaches that exhibited the show description hang. Good news: no hangs. Bad news: lots of garbled text. Better than before but some of the cache descriptions are still not readable. Little steps.

Like Catsware mentioned the long descriptions seemed to be fixed (at least they are longer!)

GO$Rs

I reloaded 10-12 geocaches that exhibited the show description hang. Good news: no hangs. Bad news: lots of garbled text. Better than before but some of the cache descriptions are still not readable. Little steps.

Like Catsware mentioned the long descriptions seemed to be fixed (at least they are longer!)

GO$Rs

Can you point me at one of the garbled text geocaches. I'm curious if it is because the HTML is illegal.

--Marky

GO$Rs

Can you point me at one of the garbled text geocaches. I'm curious if it is because the HTML is illegal.

--Marky

check the screenshot in THIS thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=187674

Great news! :D

They got one that was on my personal wants list: Repositioning a waypoint.

Still waiting for the "Top 2" on my list:

1. Display the name of the upcoming cross street on the map page (my #1 "want" by far -- for bicycle use)

2. Show multiple tracks on the map page at the same time (in different colors)

These are both features I use all the time on my 60CSx and Vista HCx, and I also appreciate having the upcoming cross streets displayed on my Nuvi. (in my car, of course)

Edited by Manatee87

Interesting, garmin did not address their track problems or features that are not included that should be for a field worthy unit such as waypoint averaging and getting headings to a point on the map page. Frankly I expected a lot more as it's been nearly 2 months since the last update. Looks like garmin intends this to be a cache toy and not a field worthy unit. I figured with all the complaints on tracks and waypoint averaging those items would be included, especially with how long it's been for this firmware update.

To reposition a waypoint.

Move to the new location, WhereTo?->Waypoints->[select waypoint]->Options->Edit Waypoint->Reposition Here.

GO$Rs

Question or maybe I'm having a moment. When I reposition a waypoint, it brings that waypoint to my current location. I was thinking that you could select a waypoint you "jump" to that waypoint then pan around that location instead of panning all they way to that waypoint from your current location.

Why would you want to do this?

Edited by BiT

Question or maybe I'm having a moment. When I reposition a waypoint, it brings that waypoint to my current location. I was thinking that you could select a waypoint you "jump" to that waypoint then pan around that location instead of panning all they way to that waypoint from your current location.

Why would you want to do this?

Example: I mark a waypoint using MapSource (or another program) while planning a trip. Maybe it's a trail junction. I go out into the field and it turns out that the waypoint is 200 feet off, so I stand at the trail junction and select "reposition here."

Still can't average a waypoint. What the h-e-double hockey sticks are they waiting for? I still take two GPS units out with me when I find/hide caches because I like to average my waypoints before placing. I would have thought that this would have been the first thing on their list.

I guess we''ll have to wait two more months for that one. :D

Still can't average a waypoint. What the h-e-double hockey sticks are they waiting for? I still take two GPS units out with me when I find/hide caches because I like to average my waypoints before placing. I would have thought that this would have been the first thing on their list.

I guess we''ll have to wait two more months for that one. :D

There is quite a bit of debate as to whether or not Averaging is any better than a single reading after the unit settles a bit.

If the current sat configuration is a bad one - all you are doing is averaging bad data. If it is a good one, multiple readings probably won't improve it by any significant margin. Either way - you have no idea what the configuration will look like for the hunters on any random day.

....just sayin........

New problem.

Put a GPX file on with tracks. Go to look at the tracks and the unit locks up. Anyone else?

edit: The track viewing utility is just locking up on me regardless. Will see what happens without any GPX files...

edit2: Soft reset the unit and now it works OK....

Edited by Red90

I guess we''ll have to wait two more months for that one. :laughing:

There is quite a bit of debate as to whether or not Averaging is any better than a single reading after the unit settles a bit.

If the current sat configuration is a bad one - all you are doing is averaging bad data. If it is a good one, multiple readings probably won't improve it by any significant margin. Either way - you have no idea what the configuration will look like for the hunters on any random day.

....just sayin........

I can't believe we're having this discussion again. :D

And again, those of us who DO average waypoints, are only looking to smooth out the jumps that CAN occurr in a single snapshot. Yeah, yeah, we get the fact that the array is a large factor.

Every major GPS manufacturer AND Garmin in every unit until now has been wasting their time providing us poor, misled accuracy nazi's with waypoint averaging, right? They'll include it in a future update, trust me :laughing: . Look how long it took them to compile the short list of improvements in this update (almost 2 mos.).

True, and I agree, the glass is half full. :laughing:

HOWEVER, like the typical american who's never satisfied, I was hoping for more with this long awaited update.

The glass is half full. :D

It would still be nice to view the text associated with my custom POI's. :laughing: POOR ME!!!!!

The glass is half full. :laughing:

Since 2.4 came out I have been leaving my 76C at home more and more often and the last 4 times I went out I have left it home. Looks like it might be time to sell. I can live without the averaging, knowing that I might have to mark the coordinate a few times to be sure its right...but it is still the last feature I really want. I am looking forward to trying out this new update tho...Thanks Garmin!

It would still be nice to view the text associated with my custom POI's. :anibad: POOR ME!!!!!

True, strange they haven't fixed that yet, but, you can fit 1023 character in the name, which for all intents and purposes is better than the "antique" GPS units.

nRoute works now and you can power from a normal USB cable.

Even though this was called Spanner support it looks like Garmin has added support for a protocol they call PVT on some of there other handhelds. Spanner talks PVT on one side and converts it to NMEA commands over a virtual COM port, this allows you to use tracking applications that understand NMEA (like ExpertGPS). Some programs like Ozi and Global Explorer (and nRoute) support PVT natively -- I'm guessing they would also work now.

Edit: Google Earth also supports Garmin PVT

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

Looks good so far. Sure did take a long time to boot up though. We'll see how she caches tomorrow.

Since 2.4 the Colorado has been a good unit -- I've found 57 caches so far since buying the unit. More than the 25 or so I found in the last couple of years with my old eMap and Lowrance iFinder Go2.

I'll try to resist 2.51, at least until the weekend, waiting for a full release.

Meanwhile, should I expect the 'Spanner' mode will show my position in MapSource, like my Vista and 76CS did?

Off topic, but BTW, the time at the bottom of the forum, and in the message timestamps shows 7:30 when my PC clock shows (correctly) 9:30 MDT. Is the forum on Yukon Daylight Time??

Ken Z

Boulder

I'll try to resist 2.51, at least until the weekend, waiting for a full release.

Meanwhile, should I expect the 'Spanner' mode will show my position in MapSource, like my Vista and 76CS did?

In nRoute, yes. Mapsource does not support tracking.

I suspect you will wait awhile for a full release. A month or two. This one seems to have gotten rid of the bugs that causes lock ups and crashes, so is worth doing.

Yes, it seems to communicate just like a 60Csx in that mode. The other big advantage is that you can use a regular USB cable for power in the car.

I didn't get it working with Mapsource yet, but I can confirm that a regular usb cable works with a cheap USB-12 volt car adaptor.

Barry