Topo 2008 update?

When I called Garmin about this last week, I was told that there are no plans that he (the guy on the phone) knows of (and he SAID he had the schedule of releases until "the end of next year")

He could have been giving me a line....but the Garmin CS folks seem pretty solid so far.

Uh . . . YES, as we type there are mountains moving.

As a Mac user I'd like to at least see a native MapSource Topo release; that, would make my transition to

Garmin IMMEDIATE! CNNA 2009 although nice to have, is of the lesser importance for me, for others

maybe not the same.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

My thought when I first read the OP was "What's to update since last year? Did a mountain move?"

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Apparently,lots of them are moving. According to Topo 2008, several of the 54 Fourteeners (Mtns over 14,000 ft elev) in Colorado are now less than 14,000 ft. due to inaccurate elevation information.

Older Topo is correct and BM elevations and USGS Topos all show correctly but I guess that Topo2008 is smarter........

I'm not trying to argue with you, but alot of land has changed since last year when the current version was released?

And I don't think that that the road data has ever been very accurate in the topo maps due to the source of data.

Most people, I would think, do not rely on the road data in the topo maps as being very accurate or up to date. The detail street maps are needed for that.

It was a long time between updates for the topo maps so I would guess that it will be a long time again.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

I still think National Geographic has way better topos. It's not that hard to print out a map with the caches on it. In some ways it's better to have something larger to look at.

I couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact almost anything is better than Topo 2008. As far as I can tell the road information is closer to 1998, and as others have said the topographic information is not all that accurate either. Yesterday I went on a short hike and Topo 2008 showed me crossing a road that in reality I never got within a 1/3 of a mile of. Just for the heck of it I copied the track to my old Magellan Topo 3d program (circa 2004) and everything was dead on. Honestly, I feel like I was ripped off for the 80 bucks I spent on this product.