PDA & Mobile phone Access

Hi,

Just got a PDA from here. Can anybody reccommend a phone number for dial up connection to the internet free or low cost. I dont really need it as will do most jobs via my laptop.

Regards

TheWhoUK

Do you mean a PDA with a built in mobile phone or a PDA with a modem for a landline? For the former you would want to look at getting a data plan and setting up 3G/GPRS, for the latter I can't think what use you would have for it?

You can also use a mobile phone as a modem for a PDA or laptop if they both have a Bluetooth connection. I've done this in the past and it's handy in an emergency.

Hi

Thanks for the replys so far. I can connect pda to mobile via blue tooth but need a number to dial to access the net.

TheWhoUK

I can connect my HP ipaq via bluetooth using a bit of HP software (I'm sure there must be others available) called bluetooth Connect. Once set up I get an automatic connection without any dial-up. I don't know quite how this works but I assume it does it via 3's GPRS connection. I have only used it a couple of times to try it out and it was not a particularly fast connection and nor was it particularly cheep, although it was done on a Pay as You Go basis so probably much cheaper if I was to purchase on of 3's add on bundles.

You can also use a mobile phone as a modem for a PDA or laptop if they both have a Bluetooth connection. I've done this in the past and it's handy in an emergency.

Thanks for the replys so far. I can connect pda to mobile via blue tooth but need a number to dial to access the net.

Most internet providers have a no-strings PAYG option that isn't free but usually is a low-cost number. I used to use UTV Internet which has a UK and an Ireland number but if you do a Google search I'm sure you will find loads more

Hi

TheWhoUK

You'll be needing to set up a GPRS connection then (dialup over a mobile is so slow it's unusable for browsing the net.). The number you need is probably *99# and you may need a custom init string in your mobile configuration to tell it which GPRS gateway to use (possibly +CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet" replacing internet with the access point your mobile phone company uses) . This may depend on which mobile you are using to connect. This will connect you to the net via your mobile phones GPRS connection.

I have no idea about how to set up 3G I'm afraid.

Beware that it can all get very very very expensive if you haven't arranged a data plan with your mobile phone company. Did I remember to say it can get expensive?

We use Vodafone gprs with a laptop in the car (laptop is powered by an inverter)

PAYG it costs about £1 for the first 1mb and then no extra for the next 14mb (in that day)

The connection speed is not fantastic but if we use the webrowser with no images it's usable.

This phone replaced a Tesco one which is phenomenally expensive: - £4 per mb :anibad:

We don't use it much but we have used it in the past for logging FTFs while driving to the next location... :grin:

what mobile provider are you with?

Calling an 0845 number is usually not included in your free minutes so will cost a few ££. I'm on 3 and have 3g included in my price plan for £5 a month (1gb) limit. Can't use it as a data modem though but there is nothing styopping you sticking the sim in your PDA.

what mobile provider are you with?

Calling an 0845 number is usually not included in your free minutes so will cost a few ££. I'm on 3 and have 3g included in my price plan for £5 a month (1gb) limit. Can't use it as a data modem though but there is nothing styopping you sticking the sim in your PDA.

there is considering his pda won't take a sim