going paperless

Team BurnEasy

I was wondering if anyone has found a primer on how to go paperless. Looks like the way to go for us this summer.

Currently my family use a Garmin GPSmap76 which we got for free (thanks dad!) and I load the caches that we are going to that day using my desk top PC. But we will be going on a vacation up in northern Michigan this summer and will not have access to my PC.

I'm sure that someone has started a thread on this before but I just can't seem to find it

I have been caching for the last few years, but I am new to the forums.

Correct me if I am wrong but are you actually saying that people print out the page of every cache they are going to hunt for?

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

Lets Go Caching A Vidoe Podcast About Geocaching

Yes, that is what we are doing at this time. Crazy isn't it? But we are starting out slow and learning as we go.

I have been caching for the last few years, but I am new to the forums.

Correct me if I am wrong but are you actually saying that people print out the page of every cache they are going to hunt for?

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

Lets Go Caching A Vidoe Podcast About Geocaching

I did when I started. After about three months, I went the paperless route. I guess that makes me paper trained. :unsure:

Edited by arthurat

Here is a good walk-through.

Swap out iSilo for Plucker IMO and you're good to go.

Also, as others have mentioned, if you SEARCH these forums for "paperless" you'll get a good sample of opinions on which programs people like. I think there have been about a dozen opened in the last two weeks - did somebody knock off a Palm delivery truck? :)

I just got cacheberry for my blackberry curve and am very happy with it so far.

I just got Cacheberry for a Blackberry but cannot figure out how to transfer caches to the phone. I put my pocket queries into GSAK, which is a snap to use with Garmin, etc. Am I wrong to try to use GSAK? How do you transfer your pocket query information onto your Blackberry?

Perfect timing this question was..

I'm tired of PAPER. I''m on vacation now, and hand writting every cache is a PIA.

Don't have a pda... so I was looking on line for a cheapie... found one from overstock...

Palm z22 heldheld pda

Will this work? Or am I wasting money. The gps tapped me out of hidden money...

THANKS

Punch

Perfect timing this question was..

I'm tired of PAPER. I''m on vacation now, and hand writting every cache is a PIA.

Don't have a pda... so I was looking on line for a cheapie... found one from overstock...

Palm z22 heldheld pda

Will this work? Or am I wasting money. The gps tapped me out of hidden money...

THANKS

Punch

I used an old Palm M100 before upgrading to my Blackberry. Now I use wap.geocaching.com on my phone :huh:

I got an inexpensive palm on eBay ($20) and use GSAK program with my bookmarked caches and pocket queries. I love it as compared to lugging around pieces of paper while caching. I found that there are video tutorials on going paperless on YouTube. I tried the "Plucker" program and had difficulty using it, but GSAK has been problem free for me. Good Luck to you! Once you go paperless, you'll wonder how you ever cached any other way!