Unlock codes

I bought City Navigator 2007 when I bought my 60CSX 18 months ago. I recently bought a Vista HCx and was able to obtain a 2nd unlock coade for it from Garmin.

Im not nearly as happy with the HCx as the 60CSX. Im thinking about selling the HCx and getting another 60CSX for my wife.

Does anyone know whether or not Garmin will allow me to retreive the unlock code from the Vista and put in on a new machine?

I have a feeling that they wont but thought Id ask anyway.

Thanks

Nick

That is too bad you do not like the HCx, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for a 60CSx. Why don't you like it? Have you updated the firmware?

Garmin won't let you get the Unlock Code back, as I understand it, but you could call them and check for sure.

If you are going to sell the HCx, how much do you want for it . . . ? I could use a spare. :unsure:

I bought City Navigator 2007 when I bought my 60CSX 18 months ago. I recently bought a Vista HCx and was able to obtain a 2nd unlock coade for it from Garmin.

Im not nearly as happy with the HCx as the 60CSX. Im thinking about selling the HCx and getting another 60CSX for my wife.

Does anyone know whether or not Garmin will allow me to retreive the unlock code from the Vista and put in on a new machine?

I have a feeling that they wont but thought Id ask anyway.

Thanks

Nick

You'd have to call Garmin and ask them. If you told them that you were unhappy with the HCX they might do it.

We just had a weekend of serious caching where we found 56 caches and there were times when her machine, the Vista would show completely different directions than my 60. I know that she needs to learn how to hold it more vertically when walking and then flat when close to the cache. I do know that I have the update that cleared up the foggy screen when cold. Not sure if any more have been released. Perhaps since, we've had the 60 for so long and gotten used to its accuracy etc, it just seems to be better for us. I'll see how it goes the next couple of trips and if she's still not happy, then maybe another 60 will come our way. I just hate the idea of having to drop another 100 bucks for CN. Even though she doesnt do any autorouting. All she wants to see is the screen that shows how far and what direction she is from the cache.

I bought some older Topo maps on eBay and those are better than no maps at all on the map screen.

It depends on the terrain, but sometimes my Vista HCx will take a little while to get me to GZ, but it works very well, and I honestly wouldn't trade it for the larger 60CSx. I really prefer the way the buttons and click-stick work.

We just had a weekend of serious caching where we found 56 caches and there were times when her machine, the Vista would show completely different directions than my 60. I know that she needs to learn how to hold it more vertically when walking and then flat when close to the cache. I do know that I have the update that cleared up the foggy screen when cold. Not sure if any more have been released. Perhaps since, we've had the 60 for so long and gotten used to its accuracy etc, it just seems to be better for us. I'll see how it goes the next couple of trips and if she's still not happy, then maybe another 60 will come our way. I just hate the idea of having to drop another 100 bucks for CN. Even though she doesnt do any autorouting. All she wants to see is the screen that shows how far and what direction she is from the cache.

Be certain you calibrate the builtin compass every time you swap batteries! I noticed a similar irregularity in a HCx and, after calibrating the compass the arrow pointed the correct way!

I know that she needs to learn how to hold it more vertically when walking and then flat when close to the cache.

The VistaHCx uses a patch antenna and needs to be held horizontal(screen toward the sky) all the time. Your 60CSx uses a quad helix antenna and needs to be held vertical for best signal, yet flat when you need to use the compass.

If I were you I would run garmins webupdater and make sure you have the most current unit and chipset updates installed.