Plucker for Palm

I got a new laptop and tried to get plucker to go on so I can put the caches in my palm and plucker won't work. Is it not compatible with Vista? Is there something I need to download to make it work?

Or another program I have always used plucker so I am a little confused on what I should do. But I went out caching with out my palm and it was irritating not having it.

Can anyone please help.

Thanks.

Tigereyes & Gang

Thanks I just downloaded the vista compatable with palm I hope this might help my problem. .

I also downloaded cachemate.

I have spinner and plucker but when I bring up plucker it gives me a error. So I will try these out see what I can do.

I am taking it that cachemate and sunrise is a replacement for plucker?

Thanks I just downloaded the vista compatable with palm I hope this might help my problem. .

I have spinner and plucker but when I bring up plucker it gives me a error. So I will try these out see what I can do.

Cachemate is a completely different program than Plucker. Some people like it better. I don't.

Sunrise XP replaces your desktop Plucker application to get your data into the Plucker application on your pda. You will find that it sets up almost exactly the same as the Plucker desktop application, but it runs faster and crashes less. It also allows you to easily sync any pics from the cache pages to the Plucker pages on your pda.

Cachemate is a totally different program that replaces the Spinner, Plucker and Sunrise Desktop combo. I like the Spinner, Plucker and Sunrise Desktop combo looks like a cache page, has nearest caches down at the bottom of the cache page and has great cross-references built in.

You would run Spinner as before, but then you run Sunrise Desktop instead of Plucker. It configures roughly the same way. After it is done, when you sync your Palm, Plucker takes the file generated by Sunrise Desktop and loads that on your PDA. You then use Plucker on your PDA to view the file/caches.

Another option is to replace Plucker altogether with iSilo. It has a desktop application and it's own PDA application (iSiloX). They set up almost exactly the same as Plucker, but doesn't crash, runs WAY faster and is extremely reliable.

You can try it for free for 30 days, then it's $19.99.

If you're used to the pages in Plucker, I can't see you liking CacheMate. Those that start with CM love it, but it feels like going backward after getting full HTML pages.

FWIW, Plucker keep giving me errors on Vista as well. I had to uninstall and reinstall each time I wanted to sync it using VISTA - weird. That was the final straw after a fe years of putting up with the rest of the issues.

Cachemate is a totally different program that replaces the Spinner, Plucker and Sunrise Desktop combo. I like the Spinner, Plucker and Sunrise Desktop combo looks like a cache page, has nearest caches down at the bottom of the cache page and has great cross-references built in.

You would run Spinner as before, but then you run Sunrise Desktop instead of Plucker. It configures roughly the same way. After it is done, when you sync your Palm, Plucker takes the file generated by Sunrise Desktop and loads that on your PDA. You then use Plucker on your PDA to view the file/caches.

You can also export your data from GSAK as html. This allows you to get rid of Spinner.

I started out using GSAK-Spinner-Plucker(desktop)-Plucker(pda), now I use GSAK-Sunrise-Plucker(pda).

As others have said, Cachemate is a completely different program. I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to filter the caches in this area, then Export the .pdb file for Cachemate and transfer that file right to the SD card in the card slot on my computer, which I then put back in the PDA. If HotSync would work on this Dell "Media Edition" laptop, which it doesn't :unsure:, I could just HotSync the Palm m515 to get the data that way.

Plucker sounds like a good program, but apparently the Sunrise Desktop is the better intermediate program to use.

Anythime a program does not runn under Viata you can try the following to get it to work it will not work all the time but it may help.

1) Right-Click the program icon on the desktop.

2) Select Properties,

3) Click the 'Compatibility' tab,

4) Check the box to 'Run this program in Compatibility mode for',

5) Select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)',

6) Select the option to 'Run as Administrator',

7) Select OK and re-open a new session.

You can also export your data from GSAK as html. This allows you to get rid of Spinner.

I started out using GSAK-Spinner-Plucker(desktop)-Plucker(pda), now I use GSAK-Sunrise-Plucker(pda).

Do you get nearest caches within five miles down at the bottom of each cache page though, sorted by distance? I love that feature. I also love the main screen that allows sorting by GC number, cache name, hidden by or cache type. Does GSAK do that too?

Do you get nearest caches within five miles down at the bottom of each cache page though, sorted by distance? I love that feature. I also love the main screen that allows sorting by GC number, cache name, hidden by or cache type. Does GSAK do that too?

You get that, and you are able to have seperate indexes for direction and bearing from your home (or whatever ground zero you choose and have a listing by most caches in x miles.

I use to use a program I wrote that is equivalent to Spinner and Plucker. But once I tried GSAK I use it and plucker. I even wrote GSAK macro that triggers a filter, creates a Mapsource file, then converts the cache data to HTML then calls the command line version of the Plucker distiller to get the data ready for my Palm. I can then load my GPS and palm with the same data. Quick and easy.

I use to use a program I wrote that is equivalent to Spinner and Plucker. But once I tried GSAK I use it and plucker. I even wrote GSAK macro that triggers a filter, creates a Mapsource file, then converts the cache data to HTML then calls the command line version of the Plucker distiller to get the data ready for my Palm. I can then load my GPS and palm with the same data. Quick and easy.

Quick and easy? :P You lost me at 'wrote'.