Vista HCx and tide tables

Hi all,

I was playing with the tide prediction on my new Vista HCx and noticed that when I bring up the tide screen it defaults to the date of the last time I checked tides for a particular area. For example if I checked the tide schedule back on Feb 17, 2008 and today I open up that screen it defaults to the February date instead of todays date. I don't remember my 60CSx doing that, I am pretty sure it always defaulted to the current date and time. Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Hi all,

I was playing with the tide prediction on my new Vista HCx and noticed that when I bring up the tide screen it defaults to the date of the last time I checked tides for a particular area. For example if I checked the tide schedule back on Feb 17, 2008 and today I open up that screen it defaults to the February date instead of todays date. I don't remember my 60CSx doing that, I am pretty sure it always defaulted to the current date and time. Can anyone confirm this behavior?

I tried it on a Vista HCx and a Vista C. This is the way mine both work:

In Find -> Marine Points -> Tide Tables -> (location), the displayed date was today.

I changed the date to some time last year.

I exited back to the main menu, and then went back to look at the tide table again.

The date was still at the one I had set it to from last year.

I shut the unit off, and then turned it back on, and went to look at the tide table again.

It was no longer on my selected last year's date; it was back to today's date.

If you're seeing it retain the old date even after a power cycle, then yours is behaving differently from mine.

As a follow up, I'm curious as to how you loaded the tide tables. I believe mine came from when I loaded the Topo 2008 maps. Did you happen to specifically download and install the tide tables from the Garmin website. I wonder if they are implemented differently depending on where they got loaded from.

And yes, I'm on 2.60/2.60

Edited by moonpup

As a follow up, I'm curious as to how you loaded the tide tables. I believe mine came from when I loaded the Topo 2008 maps. Did you happen to specifically download and install the tide tables from the Garmin website. I wonder if they are implemented differently depending on where they got loaded from.

I'd guess mine must be from Topo 2008 too; I didn't get them from the Garmin website.

I have Topo 2008 and CN NA 2008 (non-NT) maps loaded.

I have a Vista HCx fairly New, 2.60/2.60 and it is just as the Crab described. I also get my data from the Topo 2008.

Interesting that it's working correctly for both of you. I'm confident in my original statement that the old date continues to stick even after a power cycle. Maybe when I get home tonight I will do a reset and see what happens and if that doesn't work, I'll try a reinstall of the maps... Other than that the unit is great and has no issues :unsure:

Maybe it's not necessarily a bug but a difference in expected behavior. I can see how that might be something useful, if you were planning a future fishing/boating trip and you wanted to check several tide stations for that day. It would save you from having to change the date for each one you check. I agree it shouldn't persist after a power cycle, though.

Interestingly enough, a master reset has fixed my issue. Now when I power cycle the unit, the tide table will default to the current date and time. So if anyone happens to run into this problem, a reset appears to fix it. Just remember to backup your waypoints first :)