Were we in the wrong?

Not sure what exactly whether someone may or may not be my partner or whether we are just caching buddies, which is a PRIVATE matter, has anything to do with this thread, especially as you dont know me.......

With regards to two sides to the story as I was there on the day I am aware of comments made by various event attendees, not just who chose to log their comments, rightly or wrongly. Its neither my place nor serves any purpose to go into any details.

If the OP feels so strongly then perhaps they should contact all the relevant cachers and discuss directly with them why they have put their comments or ask for the cache owner to remove them?

Schnarff

[nit pick] That's hoist by their own petard, as a petard is a bomb designed to blow the doors of beseiged castles, etc. The phrase means to be blow up by your own bomb [/nit pick] :)

Of course it's hoist, I was obviously having a funny 5 minutes. :)

To nit pick slightly further, is the petard not just the launching equipment for the bomb, and thus, if you did not get out of the way on putting it in place, you were "launched" or hoist(ed) with it. I haven't googled it so I am relying on a very old brain to remember! :)

I hope your old brain does not remember back that far, as the petard is a 17th Century item (probably earlier). It was a container, often bell shaped, containing an explosive charge, that was attached to the fortress door and the then the explosion all went out of the open end and into the door. It was not launched. Luckily, I only have to remember back to last summer for full recall of the 17th C :)

I'm obviously thinking of something else, and before this turns into a new strand of the pub quiz I know I'm sort of describing a trebuchet. Better get this back on topic or TPTB will be hoisting me by more than a petard! :):)

Bu@@er! I was travelling all day yesterday to Romania and missed this post, didn't get a chance to add my twopennyworth when it was really hotting up. :P

I can actually see both sides of the arguement, although only one side has been given :D

Anyway it seems as if the offending logs have been removed.

There are more important things to worry about in life chaps....like.....where do I get a decent beer in this God foresaken country?

I have one question - when your actions have clearly upset people that you would like to regard as your 'caching friends' why ruin things even more by opening up a very public debate here? You know how this type of discussion blows up out of all proportion here. Maybe it would have been better to contact those people - or maybe even discuss it over lunch on the day.

I admire the people on 'the other side' of this discussion for not getting involved here - it would have achieved nothing.

I have one question - when your actions have clearly upset people that you would like to regard as your 'caching friends' why ruin things even more by opening up a very public debate here? You know how this type of discussion blows up out of all proportion here. Maybe it would have been better to contact those people - or maybe even discuss it over lunch on the day.

I admire the people on 'the other side' of this discussion for not getting involved here - it would have achieved nothing.

Actually it does help to discuss things here. Opinions have been sought and received so others now know what the appropriate action in the future may be.

As for putting it in the public arena, that was done the moment the logs were made on the caches. Discussing it over lunch may not have been possible until the logs were made unless the OP was approached by the person or persons making those logs.

So lets here the other side :P

The trouble is with the 'written' (or 'typed') word is that it can be taken the wrong way and people often get upset. This applies to logs and comments posted here. I see no point in dragging it all up here.

Yes, it was all in the public domain before the OP here, but not quite as public as it became.

I cannot understand why you all want to 'hear' the other side - you are just waiting to attack like piranhas.

I guess that it could be regarded as an educational 'discussion' - I am sure everybody involved has learnt a lot.

Edit: to fix typo and add second thoughts

Edited by Midnight Ramblers

:D I'd leave my own logbook! :D

B.T.D.T :P at GC18RZG. Must admit since no log book was present I was worried I'd found a decoy and continued looking, but after a futher 10 minute search and no success added log book to original and signed FTF!

Jon

Rather than dwelling on an argument, I have a solution - take the logbook on the next walk like this.

People arriving before the logbook will be unable to claim FTF :P

When you submit a cache for publishing you tick the box that says it's active, i.e. available to log. If the caches were not available to be logged then they should have been submitted for publishing after the event, not the night before.

It's pretty simple really - a cache gets published then anyone is entitled to assume it's there with logbook and available to be found.

Can I nominate this as the silliest thread of the year? Apparently the cache was published and therefore ready to be found. Delta got there first endof.

Possibly, but only 'cos it's just gone April. Wait a bit and there'll be worse to come.

Now onto a more serious subject...............has anyone any idea where I can get a Guinness out here?

.....just as a matter of interest look at the secon review :DB)

"Best Romanian Beer. Great taste, perfect dark colour, strong as a mountain man B) Almost same quality as Guiness or Kilkenny, but at a Romanian price. A beer to have in your refrigerator :D"

:D:P:D

Now onto a more serious subject...............has anyone any idea where I can get a Guinness out here?

.....just as a matter of interest look at the secon review :D:)

"Best Romanian Beer. Great taste, perfect dark colour, strong as a mountain man :D Almost same quality as Guiness or Kilkenny, but at a Romanian price. A beer to have in your refrigerator :D"

B):P:D

Thanks for that.

Actually Ursus, which is a Romanian brand, do a dark beer which isn't too bad but it aint the same as 'The Black Stuff; B)

no sour grapes on my part at all HazelS - my event but not my logs or opinons questioned here hence my statement not wanting to get involved with the debate.

Maby we should hear from bikermel76

what realy intrests me is that that they placed it in a seperate note not a part of their main logg

for those intrested

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

this is the cache with the logg.

no sour grapes on my part at all HazelS - my event but not my logs or opinons questioned here hence my statement not wanting to get involved with the debate.

Maby we should hear from bikermel76 ...

Why hear from her? She only typed what a lot of people thought, let's leave it at that. Anyway, she doesn't visit this forum since the last time everybody laid into her. She probably has more self-respect than to join in this discussion.

And, I think it should be pointed out that she has put a lot of effort into bringing local cachers together over the past few months - she has made a huge difference to caching locally and has built up a nice friendly caching community.

It would be shame if that was all ruined by this fuss, and therefore I think this thread should be closed now.

For those people who are complaining but for some reason either refuse to or can't justify their complaints, get up to Fife this weekend. There is going to be 135 new caches published for an event. Guess what anyone is allowed to have the FTF!!

Delta congratulations on your finds :anibad:

Last year Edinburgh Walker placed 6 caches for my CITO event, I went out and bagged 3 of them as FTF's, no one complained or made any insulting remarks in their logs. It's all for fun, get a life go and find some boxes. :grin:

For those people who are complaining but for some reason either refuse to or can't justify their complaints, get up to Fife this weekend. There is going to be 135 new caches published for an event. Guess what anyone is allowed to have the FTF!!

Last year Edinburgh Walker placed 6 caches for my CITO event, I went out and bagged 3 of them as FTF's, no one complained or made any insulting remarks in their logs. It's all for fun, get a life go and find some boxes. :grin:

Wow! Thats some going. Is the event loggable for those who can't make friday?

>< snipped

Why hear from her? She only typed what a lot of people thought, let's leave it at that.

And, I think it should be pointed out that she has put a lot of effort into bringing local cachers together over the past few months - she has made a huge difference to caching locally and has built up a nice friendly caching community.

Others may have thought it. But didn't have a pop publicly on the cache page.

The Delta's DID attend the event at the pub -could something not have been said 'face to face' or the matter sorted by email or PM after the event?

It would be a shame if that was all ruined by this fuss, and therefore I think this thread should be closed now.

Seconded!

G

Wow! Thats some going. Is the event loggable for those who can't make friday?

The event runs from Friday to Sunday, I will only be turning up the Saturday which is the main part I think. You can view the event here

It's a tupperware box! - Does it really matter in the great scheme of things?

Absolutely agree. It's a plastic box, who cares, move on, get a life, close the thread.

I think that's right. The thread has run its original course so now is the time to draw it to a close.