Treo 755p, good smartphone for internet?

I am planning on getting a Treo 755p, with Verizon broadband access plan, so that I can take the phone on the trail and use the web, and also use it as the modem for my laptop when on the road, I will also be using it for paperless caching and other stuff. Does anyone have any experience with this. I have read a couple of negative reviews, and also a couple of positive ones. Hoping to get some advice here.

Thanks

I am planning on getting a Treo 755p, with Verizon broadband access plan, so that I can take the phone on the trail and use the web, and also use it as the modem for my laptop when on the road, I will also be using it for paperless caching and other stuff. Does anyone have any experience with this. I have read a couple of negative reviews, and also a couple of positive ones. Hoping to get some advice here.

Thanks

I just got my 755p a week ago. I love it. I had the 700w previously and while I liked it, I much prefer the palm interface. I don't have cachemate loaded on the 755p yet, but plan to add it. The broadband access works great for accessing the mobile site, and googlemaps works great for helping me locate the general area of the cache.

Don't know if any of the geocaching applications are written in java, but I recently heard that Palm is no longer providing the IBM J9 java virtual machine for the Palm OS based phones. They no longer have the rights to distribute it. However, if the applications are written natively, they should be OK. Just an FYI...

The one thing to watch is the durability of the unit -- the touch-screen is particularly suceptible to damage (my wife is on her third). Not that they are badly made, just not necessarily rugged enough for back-country. No idea if the Treo is moisture-resistant or waterproof, but suspect it is not.

I have had a 755p for almost a month, following years with a 650. It seems a little buggy, resetting several times a day (but rarely losing any data). Cachenav seems to have problems communicating with a bluetooth GPS - I have 2, and both lag 10-15 seconds behind the actual data. I use Tom Tom 5, and it works fine, on time. Cachemate seems to work ok. Google maps is cool, and has helped me find a bunch.

Anyone else with the 755p see this cachenav problem? I am on my second 755p, because I decided that I was going to see if it was just the phone - turns out it wasn't - same problem with #2.

I upgraded from a Treo 650p to a 755p and absolutely love it. The EVDO bandwith is much higher than the 1xWhatever on the 650. Using the 755 as a modem for my laptop is almost as fast as the DSL I have at home. I put a good screen protector on it so I don't have to worry about scratches and a good rubber case around it to protect it when I drop it.

I use the Treo only to read cache data using Plucker, and to record voice notes about the caches I find. Oh and Google Maps is sometimes helpful too. I use a separate Garmin for actually finding the caches.

I put TomTom Navigator 6 on my Treo 700P. I use a GlobalSat BT GPSr. It is more sensitive than the GPSr that came with TomTom. I also use GeoNiche - great software for a Palm. You can put PQ results in the TomTom maps (and have John Clease give you directions) and in GeoNiche. It all works great. As prior posters have said, get protection for your palm. Military stores sell waterproof stuff. They also sell a bag that hangs around your neck so you don't drop it.

Thanks for all the great responses. I thought I would add that I will still be using my garmin 76csx for the actual navigation. As well as planning on getting the garmin colorado when the bugs are worked out. My primary issue is that I plan to use it for the internet. I plan to get rid of the home phone and internet when I make sure this one picks up well in the house. We are going to be doing a lot of traveling to complete the NC Delorme Challenge this year and want mobile internet. Any more response are welcome.

Thanks

Well, we got the treo 755p and love it. We can make clear calls from it even when it has no bars. That is great. The internet is very quick and it easily connects to the VZ manager from verizon for fast broadband access for our laptop. Next week we will be taking a backpacking trip so cant wait to see how well it does in the forest. It picks up great in our place of business, which is a large industrial building.