Geocache Repair Kit

We are looking for items to place in our Geocache repair kit.

When we are out caching we take a few items to help mend broken caches, or replace a log that is trashed. Here are some of the items we take in our bag. Please ad anything to the list that you would find helpful.

• Zip lock baggies
  • Tape
  • Pins and pencils
  • Spare Container - Small - Glad Tupperware like
  • Spare Container - Regular - coffee can

The spare containers we take out are not meant for permanent cache. We do this as a temporary fix until we can notify the cache owner and they can replace the cache.

Let us know

Derrick & Kendra Perrin

Lets Go Caching - A Video Podcast About Geocaching

Edited by deeperrin

I'm pretty new to the hobby but...

Towel to dry a cache to help until it can be replaced.

Spare pencils.

Pencil sharpener ( battery operated :unsure: )

Thinking about some duct tape if I can find a small roll of it because it could be used to temporarily fix a cracked cache.

Also some spare gaskets/o-rings for the matchbook type caches - it seems those are almost always missing by the second or third find.

When we are out caching we take a few items to help mend broken caches, or replace a log that is trashed. Here are some of the items we take in our bag. Please ad anything to the list that you would find helpful.

• Zip lock baggies
  • Tape
  • Pins and pencils

The spare containers we take out are not meant for permanent cache. We do this as a temporary fix until we can notify the cache owner and they can replace the cache.

You take all this with you, and you want to carry more?? Just how big of a backback do you have? :unsure:

Personally, I carry a few extra pencils, a pencil sharpener (hand operated :( ), and a few spare zip-seal bags in my cache-pack. I usually have a scrap of paper or two what will serve as a temporary replacement log.

Also, I usually have a roll of duct-tape and I think I currently have a few orange waterproof $0.99 match holders in my truck, which I guess would be useful for repairing/replacing park-n-grabs.

Finally, you should NEVER EVER go anywhere without a towel. It's the most useful object in the known universe. :)

Edited by J-Way

......"You take all this with you, and you want to carry more?? Just how big of a backback do you have? :unsure: "

I don't want to carry more. I just would like to know what some people find useful. I figure one item might be used a lot in a colder climate as another might be used better in a wet, or a very hot climate.

It seems that geocaching is the same in a lot of ways and very deferent in others when you look at where people cache. If I travel three hours away from my home you can see a totally deferent mindset in what people use for containers and how they hide them.

In our area there are just a few caches that are over a 1/2 mile hike. So for the most part are cache repair kit stays in the car. We do carry a few small items with us but as for replacement containers they stay in the car.

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

That's actually not all that much to carry. Although, we carry lock n lock containers for replacement versus temporary containers.

Items I'll carry or have in the truck:

- towel, blow dryer

- camo tape

- gorilla glue, epoxy packets

- pocket knife, utility multi-tool

- log book, pen/pencil

- baggies

I know we have a bunch of other little things I am not thinking about.

The one thing I ALWAYS keep in my pack for cache repairs is a micro with log. If you find a wet/damaged cache you can sign the log in the micro and toss it in almost any other cache. I used to carry the match safes but am switching over to preforms. I'm gonna give 'em a try and see how it works out.

The one thing I ALWAYS keep in my pack for cache repairs is a micro with log. If you find a wet/damaged cache you can sign the log in the micro and toss it in almost any other cache. I used to carry the match safes but am switching over to preforms. I'm gonna give 'em a try and see how it works out.

Before today I had never seen the PREFORMS. They look like they would be great and at a good value. How well do they work in the field?

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

Before today I had never seen the PREFORMS. They look like they would be great and at a good value. How well do they work in the field?

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

I'm just now making the switch. So, to answer your question, I don't know.

I wouldn't include the spare containers. The Glad containers don't hold up very well. Same with coffee can. My repair kit includes duct tape. I carry large Ziploc bags in case I need to put the entire container into a waterproof bag. Ultimately, it's the cache owner's responsibility to maintain the cache and my repairs should only be short-term. I carry a towel to dry out the cache and silica gel packets to help keep the cache dry.

I have just started to carry small Ziploc-type bag for micros. I found them at Michael's Crafts.

The Glad containers don't hold up very well.

Yea, that is why they are good for temp containers. These are just quick fixes untill we can log the cache needs to be worked on. We don't go out looking to replace broken caches. It is just nice to keep a cache alive and hold them over untill the owner can make it out to the cache.

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

www.LetsGoCaching.com

You know, for my very first cache, I didn't have anything to use but a old, cleaned out yogurt container, one of the big ones that hold like a quart of yogurt. That has been out there for a year and everything in it is still dry. I totally intended to replace the container eventually, but that yogurt container has worked very well. Why replace something that works?

But I agree that sometimes it is a good idea to bring things as repair. I started carrying a little notebook with me and have used it once. A cache log was too wet to sign, so I just signed a piece of paper and put that in there. I can't imagine how some of these caches get wet, they look so water tight, but then again, who expected my yogurt container to work better than these fancy camoed tubes that other people place?

But nothing beats an ammo can, I rearely come across a ammo can with it's contents damp.

"But nothing beats an ammo can, I rearely come across a ammo can with it's contents damp."

I generally agree with you except a couple I have found wet inside. One of four that were tied down and had been under about 4 feet of water for several months was full of water to me that was puzzeling, if the water got in why did it not get out? The ground was semi-dry when I did the caches. It was laying on it's side the only thing I can think of is it leaked on the top side so the water did not leak out. But I knew it was full when I picked it up by the weight and I turned it over and no water came out until I opened it. The other three were dry inside though.

I carry around ziplocs and extra notepads in my Geo-bag, and carry extra containers in the back of my car. I think I've got a couple ready-made caches as well, in different sizes, in case I find a location that would be perfect for a cache whilst out on my travels.

I find that I use the baggies the most, as there are many cachers who will report that a bag is ripped or unsealable but don't replace it because they didn't have a spare.

I need to stock up my supplies as well. Time to walk away with a few extra golf pencils at the school library! B)

If you replace a log (for example in a micro where there is not room to just add paper), what do you do with the old one? I saw one yesterday where there was barely room to squeeze initials on. I didn't have any paper on me or I would have replaced it, then I wondered about the old log.

Just curious.

If you replace a log (for example in a micro where there is not room to just add paper), what do you do with the old one? I saw one yesterday where there was barely room to squeeze initials on. I didn't have any paper on me or I would have replaced it, then I wondered about the old log.

Just curious.

I amlost always have new logs and when I find a wet or full one if there is not room for them both I take the old one with me and when I log my find I state that I have the old log and if the cache owner wants it I will get it to them. I will let it set around for about a month then throw it out.

Sorry, have to add my opinion that these are such bad choices even for temporary containers that you shouldn't bother. Remember that when a cache is in bad shape, often the owner is not taking care of it, so don't assume that a "temporary" container will be replaced soon. Coffee can will rust and the top will crack in a few months. All Tupperware will crack in a couple of years when exposed to the sun, and will usually allow moisture in despite the appearance of waterproof-ness.

The problem with both the coffee can lid and the Tupperware is that they are polyethylene, which breaks down quickly when exposed to sunlight. Luckily there are better choices for lightweight temp use. Plastic peanut butter jars are popular, and should last pretty well because they are made of PET, which holds up well in sunlight. As long as the residual odor doesn't attract wildlife which carries it off, it should hold up. I forget which recycling number means PET, but there are other food containers made of PET. (Soda bottles are PET, but for obvious reasons aren't good cache containers.) It can be hard to tell what the lids are made of, but I don't think I've seen PET bottles with polyethylene lids.

Edward