A cache needing maintenance

I found a cache today that had been opened and scattered. It was the log book I saw first, with a few items scattered in the same area, but none of it was where it should have been. It was supposed to be inside a camoe'd bison tube, but unfortunately there was no sign of that. I logged it as needing maintenance, and wrote a longer explanation to the cache owner, but I didn't get credit for finding the cache. Is this the norm?

A "Needs Maintenance" log does not count as a "Found" one. They're 2 different things.

You can also log it as "Found" if you found and signed the log and feel that all is well. Many will argue what defines a "Find", but since you found the log and signed it, I would think you're free to log the "Find" as well.

~Ariel

EDITED to correct my stupid typo (forgot the word NOT!).

Edited by Ariel_PSU

I found a cache today that had been opened and scattered. It was the log book I saw first, with a few items scattered in the same area, but none of it was where it should have been. It was supposed to be inside a camoe'd bison tube, but unfortunately there was no sign of that. I logged it as needing maintenance, and wrote a longer explanation to the cache owner, but I didn't get credit for finding the cache. Is this the norm?

The needs maintenance log does not count as a find. You need to do 2 logs, one the found it log and the "needs maintenance" log.

A "Needs Maintenance" log does count as a "Found" one. They're 2 different things.

You can also log it as "Found" if you found and signed the log and feel that all is well. Many will argue what defines a "Find", but since you found the log and signed it, I would think you're free to log the "Find" as well.

~Ariel

I think I'll have to go back and sign the log book first before logging on the web as a find. We were so upset to see the state of this cache that we just forgot to write anything down. I made a note of the coordinates and took a picture of that location to send to the owner, so they could fix it up again, but I haven't heard back yet

Are you sure you found the log book for the cache, and not some other paper? I'm puzzled because you mentioned the cache "had been opened and scattered," and "a few items scattered in the same area," as though they were items from the cache, but a bison tube typically has no room for anything other than the log. ;)

Are you sure you found the log book for the cache, and not some other paper? I'm puzzled because you mentioned the cache "had been opened and scattered," and "a few items scattered in the same area," as though they were items from the cache, but a bison tube typically has no room for anything other than the log. ;)

Oops...Bison tube might be the wrong way to describe this cache. On the page it is described this way

The container is small to regular size plastic tube type, painted camo. It contains a log book and pen as well as several small items.

I know it was the log book I found as we looked at some previous entries and I recognised some of the names of local geocachers.

Oops...Bison tube might be the wrong way to describe this cache. On the page it is described this way

The container is small to regular size plastic tube type, painted camo. It contains a log book and pen as well as several small items.

I know it was the log book I found as we looked at some previous entries and I recognised some of the names of local geocachers.

Ahh, that makes sense. A tube, but not a bison tube. :grin:

It gets fuzzy.

I'd of logged a find and noted in the find log that the cache was all over the place and that I picked it up and put it back together as best as I could. I've done my civic duty, and I have find. The owner can check on the cache and post a note if they like.

To use the NM log you have to log a Find and then you have to log a NM log. That sets a Needs Maintenance flag. Then the owner can check on the cache and post a note, and then they also need to remember to clear the Needs Maintenance flag.

So what you have is 2 logging steps vs 4.

Edited by Renegade Knight