Torn betwwen the 60CSx and Co.400t

Non Nt on a sd card,, I made the mistake of loading it before i had the unlock code to the internal memory and now when i turn the 400t on , the first thing that pops up is "can't unlock maps" and i can't figure out how to delete it from the memory, but it works fine on the sd card

I set a waypoint in another city and and when i go there from my location, the only option it gives me is "Done" and it sends me back to my location on the map...Is there a certian profile i need to be in?

Edited by space_weaseal

Non Nt on a sd card,, I made the mistake of loading it before i had the unlock code to the internal memory and now when i turn the 400t on , the first thing that pops up is "can't unlock maps" and i can't figure out how to delete it from the memory, but it works fine on the sd card

I set a waypoint in another city and and when i go there from my location, the only option it gives me is "Done" and it sends me back to my location on the map...Is there a certian profile i need to be in?

If you look in [drive]:\Garmin\ there is probably a file called gmapsupp.img which is the CN map file. Copy this to your computer and delete it from the Colorado. Reboot the Colorado and verify all your maps are okay, if so you can remove the file from your computer.

After you create the new waypoint. Got to Where To?->Options->Search Near->... A Waypoint and select the waypoint you just created. This will center a search around your new waypoint.

GO$Rs

Ok.. I have been playing with the 400t for about 9 1/2 hrs and im getting fustrated with it.. The map draw time is slow, and i cant use the pointer to go to another city in a diff state and find locations in that city, like with the 60CSx.The profile is set on Recreational. Is there a profile and settings that will alow me to do this? The manual does not explain the profiles and what they do so im lost and reconsidering the 400..

It works for me, or am I missing something? Just pan where you want to go with the rocker, press the center button and press again to go.

The profiles allow you to customize some of the settings to use for different modes. I don’t use the Recreational, only Automotive and Geocaching. My Automotive profile is set to autoroute on road for time. I park and switch to Geocaching mode where it is set to off road guidance. Eventually we hope that Garmin will tie the map selection to the Profile Change so you don’t have to manually switch from street maps to topo maps.

Accuracy and sensitity are as good as anything out there and much better than a 60C.

How did you determine that the accuracy of the Colorado was much better than a 60C?

Sorry, that was phrased a little wrong. Let's try again...

Accuracy is as good as anything out there. Sensitivity is much better than a 60C.

Accuracy and sensitity are as good as anything out there and much better than a 60C.

How did you determine that the accuracy of the Colorado was much better than a 60C?

Sorry, that was phrased a little wrong. Let's try again...

Accuracy is as good as anything out there. Sensitivity is much better than a 60C.

Ah. If I had been thinking, I might have realized that was what you meant. Thanks for the clarification.

It works for me, or am I missing something? Just pan where you want to go with the rocker, press the center button and press again to go.

Ok i ment to say, find POI's in that city ...

The profiles allow you to customize some of the settings to use for different modes. I don’t use the Recreational, only Automotive and Geocaching. My Automotive profile is set to autoroute on road for time. I park and switch to Geocaching mode where it is set to off road guidance. Eventually we hope that Garmin will tie the map selection to the Profile Change so you don’t have to manually switch from street maps to topo maps.

I try the automotive profile.. and play around with it..

Try this.

Where To->Cities and select the city you want to search, then hit Go.

Where To->Options->Search Near->...A Recent Find->select the city you just found, should be on the top of the list.

You should now be able to search for waypoints, tracks, routes, POIs, etc that are near that city.

GO$Rs

Thank you all, my brain caught up and i finally got it..

The only thing i cant figure out is when i check the waypoints in any profile there are alot in there that i did not put there.(i erased them but they keep popping up)..Like in Kansas and outher places....

.Is this normal?

Edited by space_weaseal
I think i would perfer that method becuse i wont misstakenly delete everything at once.."I do love to push buttons and dont always pay attention to what im doing"
To do it on the 60 you have to get to the status screen, then toggle up and click on SELECT ALL, then toggle down to RESET, the when prompted CANCEL(default)/OK you have to toggle over to commit to doing it. It's not a one click and it's done sort of deal, there are confirmations.
I go even further with the "smart names" in GSAK for my PDA and GPS unit.
We do similar things but we also include "last date found" in the notes section so if we start heading for a GC that has a last date found of 1/6/2005 then we probably want to look at it closer before putting a lot of effort into it.
Umm, just put them there. 1023 characters max in the name. The comment field does not work at this time.
You type all that in manually for every cache?!?!?! :lol: I can load up my GPSr and my PDA with GSAK and Cachemate and hardly touch my keyboard while holding every letter of the descriptions, hints and the last 5 logs regardless of how long. And if you snagged the first 1023 of the description you might not grab anything but some comments about the area the cache is hidden in. Here's the first 1023 characters of Where The Green Fern Grows (the #1 rated cache in this area) :

ATTENTION: There's some delicate plants in some of the areas of this series,PLEASE tread lightly and step around them to avoid damage,it doesn't require much effort.....And PLEASE beware of muggles and hide the caches back well, making sure the containers are tightly closed,this doesn't take much effort either,but cache maintenance on a series this size requires alot of effort/mileage and your cooperation will be greatly appreciated!

The list of names below are the Geocachers who have completed the entire multi series and been confirmed,...this list will end with the 50th placement,.....from there on, any unconfirmed logged "finds" will be deleted.If you haven't found all parts of the entire series and e-mailed the required info., then post a note or DNF ,not a "find/smiley" .....

(1)Varren66,(2)Conanman,(3) South Tampa, (4)TheHobos,(5)TBBuck,(6)Reef Rats,(7)TheBoonieman,(8)Smiling Little Perch & Old Bass Cacher,(9)(Team Burgi)- Yuzawa Kat,Burgi Dad, ChuckSar & Cache Scene Investigator(CSI CRUE),(10)Freef

That wouldn't help much.

You type all that in manually for every cache?!?!?! :lol: I can load up my GPSr and my PDA with GSAK and Cachemate and hardly touch my keyboard while holding every letter of the descriptions, hints and the last 5 logs regardless of how long. And if you snagged the first 1023 of the description you might not grab anything but some comments about the area the cache is hidden in. Here's the first 1023 characters of Where The Green Fern Grows (the #1 rated cache in this area) :

Ummm, no....

With the Geocaching feature, all of the information goes into and is viewable on the unit. You simply copy a GPX file to theunit and it is all there.

I was talking about custom POIs. IN the previous units they had a limit of 44 characters for the name and 88 for the comment. The Colorado can fit 1023 character. I load found and placed caches that way, in case I need to know the coordinates. I use a GSAK macro with custom icons. It is all automatic.

Thank you...

Im all set now......(I think im going to love the 400t)

Hey space_weaseal,

I would love to hear an update on your 400t and how it has turned out compared to the 60. I have been going through the same thought process as you on rathr to get the 60 or the 400t. It has been almost a month since your last post so I am wondering if you love your 400t still.

I have yet to own a GPS device so I am not going to be a super techincal user at first but I am a technical person. Looking to use it mostly for geocaching - hiking/backbacking and off-roading.

I have a question for someone who has a Colorado and another newer unit that averages. I was wondering if anyone had marked a spot with both using the averaging feature on the one to see how much difference there was between the two units? I have read here that many believe with the newer more powerful receivers there should not be any difference.

I had a 60CSx that did the averaging and I watched it go through 100 cycles on more than one occasion and not once did I see the actual coordinates change.

After placing caches with the Colorado that does not do averaging, I started getting comments in my cache logs about the coordinates being spot on.

As far as I can tell, it's not as effective as it used to be but there are plenty of people that will tell you otherwise. :blink:

Returned my second 400 t today and re-bought a 60scx. My 400 Ts had terrible accuracy (and yes I know that some of you out there have no problems.) One thing I finally noticed today is that the 400T said I was 100 ft. off the road and that previous tracks varied as much as 100 ft -on a 10 ft. bike trail !!!

If the 60scx does the same thing, I'll go re-buy a 400t and just resign to the fact that I'll never get to within 50 feet accuracy to a cache.

One thing I can't help wondering is that I have bought both of mine from REI and both were "1" series Serial numbers. I wonder is the "2" series have the same problems ?

I should mention that my caching is under relatively heavy tree-cover. Maybe this is the problem.

It will be hard going back to non-paperless caching , though. I deep down love the 400t's. The only way I know to see what is going on to go back and see what the 60scx does.

I will be comparing the 60scx later on today to see how it does on the same two caches.