Torn betwwen the 60CSx and Co.400t

If you want all Topo US 2008 maps and all City Navigator North America (any version) on a Colorado you better buy the 400t. You can not do it on the 300. I found it out the hard way and now wish I would have stayed with my first order for a 400t.

I agree with Red on the forum issue. The forums are a place to vent frustration for many. My opinion is that many times it is operator ignorance. There are still issues with the Colorado but then again there are issues with PC’s that have been out for decades. The next firmware is way over due and is a growing, festering infection that is about to plaque Garmin. I’m just tickled that I didn’t buy a Trinaton!

If you want all Topo US 2008 maps and all City Navigator North America (any version) on a Colorado you better buy the 400t. You can not do it on the 300. I found it out the hard way and now wish I would have stayed with my first order for a 400t.

I agree with Red on the forum issue. The forums are a place to vent frustration for many. My opinion is that many times it is operator ignorance. There are still issues with the Colorado but then again there are issues with PC’s that have been out for decades. The next firmware is way over due and is a growing, festering infection that is about to plaque Garmin. I’m just tickled that I didn’t buy a Trinaton!

Yeah... i just called Garmin and they told me the same thing, so i Ordered the 400t... The Big Brown truck is dropping off the 60CSx today, and the 400t will be here Turesday...Than i have to call and get a second unlock code for the 400t for the NA City Nav... I cant wait to get my hands on both to do a side by side comparison on them.

:P

I have been researching GPS's for the last week and have decied on the 400t or the 60CSx.. I have read just about every post here regarding the two and all the reviews i could find on both...

Im still confused.....

I realy like the 400t becuse of the visual's of the screen but everything i have found is, that the 400t does not have as many features as the 60CSx and is about $150. more, (why is that) I know it has the paperless geochace, but is it worth the money to not have as many features as the 60CSx... The main thing is, i would like the back tracking and read different things here regarding the 400t. Some say you can and some say you cant. So whats the deal? Can you or cant you? Its a pretty cut and dry question..

For thoes that have both pelase give me yalls honest opinings on wich one you over all like the best and why. ( the one you would pick if you needed just on GPS)

Thank You

Get the 300/400t. Since you've never had the 60csx, you won't know about any of the features which you don't have on the 300/400t. :P In addition, the 300/400t will probably get better with time as new firmware versions come out. You can't beat it for paperless caching, which is important for this sport. Although I must say Garmin sometimes reminds me of Microsoft with their beta release of products.

Red90 my friend, I didn't notice your signature as you have not noticed my Geocaching history - 446 total and 83 FTF's so I may have a little experience at this game. I have used the Colorado 400t for three weeks next to the 60CSx and it is not in my opinion, up to the same standard, as the 60CSx! If new to GPS and not knowing what you are missing, the Colorado would probably do now at version 2.4. That said, I cannot speak to 2.51 just released on 4/7/08. I know the Colorado will be the "GPS to have" when finally rev'd to it full potential but for now, it is 2nd to the 60CSx in my opinion. Please enjoy and have fun, my like yours are only opinions!

Red90 my friend, I didn't notice your signature as you have not noticed my Geocaching history - 446 total and 83 FTF's so I may have a little experience at this game. I have used the Colorado 400t for three weeks next to the 60CSx and it is not in my opinion, up to the same standard, as the 60CSx! If new to GPS and not knowing what you are missing, the Colorado would probably do now at version 2.4. That said, I cannot speak to 2.51 just released on 4/7/08. I know the Colorado will be the "GPS to have" when finally rev'd to it full potential but for now, it is 2nd to the 60CSx in my opinion. Please enjoy and have fun, my like yours are only opinions!

No problem at all Red90. I see you are a very accomplished cacher and am certain it would be good to meet you. I hope you don't take offense to any of my comments, they are not meant to be taken personally - just my opinion and hopefully just one piece of data for those trying to make purchase decisions.

Have fun and the very best to you on the trails!

I hope you don't take offense to any of my comments, they are not meant to be taken personally - just my opinion and hopefully just one piece of data for those trying to make purchase decisions.

Nope, not at all. I enjoy the discussions :D Hope to see you on the trails as well.

know the Colorado will be the "GPS to have" when finally rev'd to it full potential but for now, it is 2nd to the 60CSx in my opinion. Please enjoy and have fun, my like yours are only opinions!
I have a similar discussion going on and I am in a similar situation wishing to upgrade from my MAP60C and debating the 400t or the 60CSx. From the sounds of things (accuracy, battery life, trail displays, etc) I think I'm leaning to stick with my plan on stepping up to the 60CSx (with my City Navigator) and stick with my Palm Tungsten TX which has a lot of other uses then just geocaching. Sounds like the 400t is cool but has it's limitations and doesn't do everything my Palm can do. In fact we take our memory card from the camera and pop it in the Palm and view a slideshow of the pictures we took while caching on a decent sized screen... don't think we'd be doing that with the 400t.

In fact we take our memory card from the camera and pop it in the Palm and view a slideshow of the pictures we took while caching on a decent sized screen... don't think we'd be doing that with the 400t.

Yes, actually you CAN do that on a Colorado......

Sounds like the 400t is cool but has it's limitations and doesn't do everything my Palm can do.

One of the greatest features I love about the Colorado is I don’t have to bounce back and forth from GPS to a Palm or PPC trying to search for the Geocache then the details of the Geocache I’m at. Then I have to find some shade to read the Palm or PPC. Then I worry about dropping, smashing, getting the Palm or PPC wet. The Colorado is super slick to show the cache info, logs, hints etc.

One of the greatest features I love about the Colorado is I don’t have to bounce back and forth from GPS to a Palm or PPC trying to search for the Geocache then the details of the Geocache I’m at. Then I have to find some shade to read the Palm or PPC. Then I worry about dropping, smashing, getting the Palm or PPC wet. The Colorado is super slick to show the cache info, logs, hints etc.
Definitely sounds promising but what about the things that are floating around about battery life and accuracy? We have an old eTrex and the MAP60C will run the whole day on one set of batteries while we change out the eTrax batteries a couple times. Not fun in the field (or if you forget the extra batteries).

And for displaying trails when we're hiking and we loose signal (heavy tree cover, etc) the MAP60C often breaks the trail waymark string and starts a new one when it regains signal. If I am reading this right with the 400t only displaying one trail does that mean I wouldn't be able to display the segments at the same time because they are stored as two seperate paths????

Posted this in another thread but applicable here, too. I found a few comparison sites and this one was direct between the Colorado and the 60CSx :

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx

A few things that caught my attention :

- For internal and SD memory Colorado beats 60CSx hands down

- For battery life the 60CSx minimum is 12 hrs (max 14) while the maximum on the Colorado is 10hrs (min 5). Kind of yucky as 5 hours isn't a lot for us.

- No direct lanyard attachment on the Colorado (that's how I carry my 60C)

- No single way to reset everything at once on the Colorado (used immediately after downloading my current GPSr stuff daily, before I upload all new stuff)

- Colorado reboots when you disconnect from computer. We use the Toughbook in the field to push stuff back and forth to the GPSr. This sounds flaky.

- Map files and segments a lot higher in the Colorado

- No accuracy ring displayed on mapping pages in the Colorado

- Can't pan/zoom maps in preview mode for routes on the Colorado

- Can't switch between track UP or north UP on the Colorado (we like this feature!)

- Can't customize waypoint symbols on the Colorado

- No POI descriptions on the Colorado

- No proximity alarms on the Colorado

- 20 saved track logs can be displayed at once on the 60CSx and only 1 on the Colorado

- Change change track color on the Colorado

- Can't recalculate the route on the Colorado

- No indication of upcoming cross street on the Colorado

- No prompted recalulation if off route on the Colorado

- Turn information pops up on the 60CSx when you're on any page, not on the Colorado

- Colorado can hold twice the geocaches as the 60CSx (but you need more then 1,000 loaded at once?)

- Colorado can mark cache in need of maintenance or DNF (we add it to notes on the 60C)

- Alarm clock on the Colorado

- Tide data/graph for date available on the 60CSx

- Current outdoor temp available on the Colorado but stated it's basically useless and reads wrong

- Other additions to Colorado is picture viewer, wireless data transfer, heart rate monitor, cadense sensor, but the 60CSx has built in games which the Colorado doesn't

Don't want to rain on anything but I am now leaning towards the 60CSx and hang on to my Palm for data (and everything else).

Edited by infiniteMPG

Definitely sounds promising but what about the things that are floating around about battery life and accuracy? We have an old eTrex and the MAP60C will run the whole day on one set of batteries while we change out the eTrax batteries a couple times. Not fun in the field (or if you forget the extra batteries).

And for displaying trails when we're hiking and we loose signal (heavy tree cover, etc) the MAP60C often breaks the trail waymark string and starts a new one when it regains signal. If I am reading this right with the 400t only displaying one trail does that mean I wouldn't be able to display the segments at the same time because they are stored as two seperate paths????

Personally, I get 13 to 14 hours from a pair of Ni0MH batteries.

Accuracy and sensitity are as good as anything out there and much better than a 60C.

Yes, view one saved track at a time, however, you can ave as many stored on the unit as you want and they can be whetever length you want. The older units are limited to 20 track at 500 points each.

1) No direct lanyard attachment on the Colorado (that's how I carry my 60C)

2) No single way to reset everything at once on the Colorado (used immediately after downloading my current GPSr stuff daily, before I upload all new stuff)

3) Colorado reboots when you disconnect from computer. We use the Toughbook in the field to push stuff back and forth to the GPSr. This sounds flaky.

4) Can't switch between track UP or north UP on the Colorado (we like this feature!)

5) No POI descriptions on the Colorado

6) 20 saved track logs can be displayed at once on the 60CSx and only 1 on the Colorado

7) Colorado can mark cache in need of maintenance or DNF (we add it to notes on the 60C)

I'll clartify a bit.

1) Yes, but you can put a lanyard on the supplied carabiner attachement.

2) I don't understand....

3) Not anymore. Fixed in the latest firmware.

4) Of course you can.... That is crazy. In fact there are three views, north up, track up and automotive.

5) True, but the names hold 1023 characters verus a total of 132 in a 60 csx....

6) See above.

7) Yes, plus, when you get back, the logs can be uploaded directly to Groundspeak for quick and easy logging using the Field Note feature.

Hey again Space Weasel - You may want to keep a tight grip on that Wife as she sounds like a keeper...

Buy both cooool, however watch her at the HD store or around the Vettes.....

Well reading all of this I am further lost as to which unit to buy the 60Csx, the Rhino 530HCx, or the Colorado 400T. Going with past experience the bleeding edge is best even if there are some bumps on the way.....

I did not know about using a Palm foer the paperless, anyone have additional information as I have a Vx, and an M515 gathering dust as well as my LifeDrive which I use daily.

Again I am using my car Nuvi 750 and an old GPs from my Brother-in-Law to Cache, but with the kids lovig what we have done so far and wanting to do more, more, more well a better GPS or multiple GPS units, Hello Mrs Sapce Weasel, looks to be in my future, like many of the features in both but like the radio in the 530HCx as well that can broadcast location, you know one kid here, one kid there, Dad is lost well you get the point.

Is there a GPS for Dummies, or a Geocaching for Dummies so that I can sit and evaulate waht is important to me/my family as for features, or should I just go for the Colorado 400T since I have no base line?

Currently we carry SWAG, paper, camera, water, radios etc.. so taking a Palm would not hurt but leaving much behind would be great so a Colorado 400TRC (R being radio, C being Camera) would be niceer yet.

Garmin send my check to:

The Finding Irish 4...

If any one has a similar situ to mine let me know what you did and you satisifiaction level...

Thanks in advance.

<snip>

I did not know about using a Palm foer the paperless, anyone have additional information as I have a Vx, and an M515 gathering dust as well as my LifeDrive which I use daily.

<snip>

I already had a Palm m500 when I started caching, so I downloaded and registered Cachemate right away. It took me a little while to figure out GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), but that program soon became invaluable.

I now have a Palm m515 with a 256 MB SD card. On the card, I have all my past finds, in different databases by year. I also have all the Unfound caches in this area, divided by regions, to have the number of caches in each list be more manageable. On my Vista HCx, I Export Custom POIs, so I also have extra information there.

Cachemate is a great program that gives you the cache description, Past Logs, the Hint, and a page on which you can write about your experience at the cache. Other people use Plucker on their PDAs. That is a free program that displays the cache page as it is seen on GC.com. If you choose to use that program, Sunrise Desktop works better for getting the data to the PDA.

I have been playing with the 60CSx the last two day and love it..The 400t will be here tomorrow so i can not tell you which one i like the best..I can tell you the 60CSx will do everything you need but paperless cacheing.. And i did think about going the route of the palm as well but i do not want to have to look at two or three things when im out.. I cant wait to try out the 400t, and like the idea of the paperless feature, "not becuse i want to save trees but becuse it is convenient".

Personally I have a 60cx and a colorado. I thought that I continue to use my 60cx for a while until my colorado updated to be at the same level as my old unit. But in fact I didnt use my 60 anymore! You have to get use to the rock'n Roller menu but after awile its great!

2) No single way to reset everything at once on the Colorado (used immediately after downloading my current GPSr stuff daily, before I upload all new stuff)
2) I don't understand....
On the 60C (which I am stepping up FROM) you can go to a reset screen and you can delete all waymarks, geocaches, tracks and everything with one "reset all". From what the review said you have no way to clear everything on the Colorado all at once, as if you have to clear each type of loaded data each one at a time. Is this true or can you reset all on a Colorado???
I agree with Miragee on this. I have a Palm Tungsten Tx and a 2Gb SD card on the side. I use CacheMate and GSAK and this allows me to totally customize the way things load to both my Palm and my 60C, including customized waypoint symbols (I like to have all caches loaded and not just unfound ones as I like hiding caches as much as finding so I like to know where everything is). I use a different symbol for my caches and I strip the "GC" out of the names (EVERY cache starts with GC so this is useless on a GPSr).

Yes, was the point I was trying to make in the comparison.

You can accomplish the same thing on the Colorado but you have to goto 4 different places (tracks, routes, waypoints and the altimeter) to delete/reset everything. On the 60cs(x) it was all under one roof.

GO$Rs

I think i would perfer that method becuse i wont misstakenly delete everything at once.."I do love to push buttons and dont always pay attention to what im doing"

I agree with Miragee on this. I have a Palm Tungsten Tx and a 2Gb SD card on the side. I use CacheMate and GSAK and this allows me to totally customize the way things load to both my Palm and my 60C, including customized waypoint symbols (I like to have all caches loaded and not just unfound ones as I like hiding caches as much as finding so I like to know where everything is). I use a different symbol for my caches and I strip the "GC" out of the names (EVERY cache starts with GC so this is useless on a GPSr).

I go even further with the "smart names" in GSAK for my PDA and GPS unit. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name on my Vista HCx and Palm m515:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box:

%Name=8 %hint

For the Custom POIs, I Export a .gpx file with the same Waypoint name, but in the Description I get the name of the cache owner (sometimes as good as a detailed hint), the Hint, and the GC code, since some people I cache with use that for reference. The code for that is: %By %Hint %Code

Umm, just put them there. 1023 characters max in the name. The comment field does not work at this time.

Are you using GSAK to create a .gpx POI file? So far I've been using a GSAK macro and put %hint at the end of the name field. I sure don't get 1023 characters. Could you briefly outline how, or what you use, to create your POI file?

Are you using GSAK to create a .gpx POI file? So far I've been using a GSAK macro and put %hint at the end of the name field. I sure don't get 1023 characters. Could you briefly outline how, or what you use, to create your POI file?

I'm using a GSAK Macro to create CSV files. It is on teh GSAK forums. I don't have my unit with me, but I'll confirm that it is displaying more than 256 and get back to you. I have not really checked the 1023 limit. There was another thread were someone figured it out. It is certainly larger than 256 as that is only about a page and I know that I've looked at multiple page text.

I love the Colorado...The screen is clear and the shading rocks...The colorado is instintive to use for me..(i love the rocker)

I put a SD card in and just wanted to know when you send info to the unit where does the info go? (the SD or internal memory).

The only thing i dont like is that you cant operate the unit when conected to the usb, and it shuts off every time its disconected...

I love the Colorado...The screen is clear and the shading rocks...The colorado is instintive to use for me..(i love the rocker)

I put a SD card in and just wanted to know when you send info to the unit where does the info go? (the SD or internal memory).

The only thing i dont like is that you cant operate the unit when conected to the usb, and it shuts off every time its disconected...

Depending on the software you are using you will see two drives for the Colorado one for internal memory one for the SD card.

If you upgrade to 2.51 beta there is a way to get the Colorado to work as a GPS when it is connected but you can't transfer files to/from it. See the FAQ and/or the 2.51 thread for more details.

GO$Rs

I'm just going to run a new test to see when it runs out of space.

Yep 1023 characters not including carriage returns.

As an aside, I just verified that POI loader runs with the unit in "GPS" mode.

Cool, I actually tried xImage yesterday but that didn't work, I was hoping for custom waypoint symbols. Forgot about the POI loader. Mapsource can't transfer to/from the CO in GPS but it can seem to get the time. It looked like you could set the unit name but it doesn't get saved.

GO$Rs

Ok.. I have been playing with the 400t for about 9 1/2 hrs and im getting fustrated with it.. The map draw time is slow, and i cant use the pointer to go to another city in a diff state and find locations in that city, like with the 60CSx.The profile is set on Recreational. Is there a profile and settings that will alow me to do this? The manual does not explain the profiles and what they do so im lost and reconsidering the 400..

To go to another city you have to pan to the city and create a waypoint there by pressing the center of the rock and roller button. Then do a search and select the options button and it will give you the option to search near a waypoint or recent find. Select that and you will be able to do the search.

This is the thing I miss the most and have feed back the most input to the Garmin technician that I have been working with.

Just out of curiosity what map do you have loaded? NT or non-NT?