Torn betwwen the 60CSx and Co.400t

I have been researching GPS's for the last week and have decied on the 400t or the 60CSx.. I have read just about every post here regarding the two and all the reviews i could find on both...

Im still confused.....

I realy like the 400t becuse of the visual's of the screen but everything i have found is, that the 400t does not have as many features as the 60CSx and is about $150. more, (why is that) I know it has the paperless geochace, but is it worth the money to not have as many features as the 60CSx... The main thing is, i would like the back tracking and read different things here regarding the 400t. Some say you can and some say you cant. So whats the deal? Can you or cant you? Its a pretty cut and dry question..

For thoes that have both pelase give me yalls honest opinings on wich one you over all like the best and why. ( the one you would pick if you needed just on GPS)

Thank You

I can't comment much but I have the 60CSx and have the 400t on order... I just couldn't pass up paperless caching. ;)

I don't know about one having more features than the other, I think it's more like what one has the other one may not, or may not do the same way.

The biggest complaint market seems to be from die hard 60CSx fans because the Colorado is different and not like other Garmin devices in the way you use it.

I have had the 60CSx and currently have a 300 with City Navigator maps.

Asking for a comparison at this point is really an unfair request. The 60CSx has a stable firmware revision that has had the time to evolve into a great unit. The Colorado still has some bugs and hinted at future revisions.

If you wanted to know what unit I like to cache with RIGHT NOW the 60CSx wins hands down.

If you want to know what GPS I will want to be using in a year or so after firmware updates I would tell you that my expectation is that the Colorado will be the unit I want with me.

In the end I decided that I am keeping the Colorado and will endure the growing pains to end up with the unit I really want.

Easy there sport... you also made statements that weren't necessarily true, plus you asked people with both which they prefer and why... not just one thing to comment on in your post.

You can always just call Garmin if you're not satisfied with the answers you get on a forum.

the 400t does not have as many features as the 60CSx and is about $150. more

I'd like to see the supporting documentation to verify this... but I guess you don't want people to comment on this part.

For thoes that have both pelase give me yalls honest opinings on wich one you over all like the best and why. ( the one you would pick if you needed just on GPS)

I'd like to hear this myself... but I guess you don't?

i would like the back tracking and read different things here regarding the 400t. Some say you can and some say you cant. So whats the deal? Can you or cant you?

So this is the ONE thing you wanted to know in your thread... gotcha.

Glad you got the info you were looking for. ;)

Edited by XopherN71

Easy there sport... you also made statements that weren't necessarily true, plus you asked people with both which they prefer and why... not just one thing to comment on in your post.

You can always just call Garmin if you're not satisfied with the answers you get on a forum.

the 400t does not have as many features as the 60CSx and is about $150. more

I'd like to see the supporting documentation to verify this... but I guess you don't want people to comment on this part.

Read the whole sentence, becuse i said this what i found from the reviews and info on the net.

I'd like to hear this myself... but I guess you don't?

i would like the back tracking and read different things here regarding the 400t. Some say you can and some say you cant. So whats the deal? Can you or cant you?

So this is the ONE thing you wanted to know in your thread... gotcha.

Glad you got the info you were looking for. ;)

Read into it what you will, but you dont have to be a jack-a** about it...

At no point was i rude or out of line, so peel yourself away from the screen, go outside, and get in touch with reality.

Edited by space_weaseal

Hello All,

I like many others I am looking to get a Colorado most likely a 400T just because it is cool, like having a touch Ipod, or Iphone....

I have a more pratical question which will/could push me in a different direction.

My kids and I have started Geocashing using an old GPS or my new Nuvi 760 since the kids love to hike and

cache should I go with a Two-Way Radio version like a Rhino 530HCx, or should I stay with a 60CSx and have the kids carry a radio?

I like the transmit my location on the Rhino so if lost they can find me....

As for the Colorado I like the Paperless feature, bur see some people use a Palm to accomidate?

If I am carrying a GPS, and a Palm, why not throw a radio in as well.....

I am just looking for your experience and how you handled the situ.

Thanks

Irish my wife was looking at the Rhino's for the same reaseon, but we have a set of radios already....I think we are going with the 60Csx, but wont know for sure until i get out to the stores tomorrow and put my hands on them ..The 400t is still in the running but i dont know if i want to wait on all the firmware to get running properly....

Space Weasel,

Let me know which way you go and what swayed your decision....

Seems GPS units and Golf Clubs have a lot in common every time you get one another comes out that will

hit the ball 15 yards further, straighter, and logo my ball when I tee off...

Odd I still have my old Ping Zing 2's....

Man aint that the truth...."Atleast they work the bugs out of golf clubs before they release them" :unsure: ...

I will know which one tomorrow...

Well does it back track or not?....

Or is there no simple answer to that question? This is why im so confused right now becuse i have seen this asked 100's of times with no real answers...

I need to ask a question.

You are asking if the Colorado supports "back tracking" ... what is "back tracking" to you?

"thats what i was looking for"

Man its hard to find a simple answer anymore....

I took that remark as a snide comment, like nobody else's replies were necessary since they didn't answer the one thing you were looking to hear when in fact there were more things being asked by you in your initial post.

Read into it what you will, but you dont have to be a jack-a** about it...

At no point was i rude or out of line, so peel yourself away from the screen, go outside, and get in touch with reality.

Perhaps you could lose the attitude, I tried to help with what I could in my first response, you're follow-up kind of ticked me off for the reason stated above. Unfortunately there's not much for emotion when reading threads, so if I took what you wrote the wrong way I apologize for the snappy comment.

I think you could benefit from taking your own advice.

You are asking if the Colorado supports "back tracking" ... what is "back tracking" to you?

This is a good question, I guess I just assumed tracing your path back to where you originated, or to a certain point along your track. (Back tracking)

Best regards.

Edited by XopherN71

This is a good question, I guess I just assumed tracing your path back to where you originated, or to a certain point along your track. (Back tracking)

Best regards.

I was actually asking that question of space_weaseal, :unsure:

Going to be getting the 400t, after being without a working colorado for some weeks now, and one of the big things with the Colorado, is the built-in screen capture capability,so that I can press the right soft key whenever I need to, like after a hike, drive, or whatever, I would do a screen capture of the trip screen and maybe the map screen. Another thing about being able to capture lots of screens, is that I can also use a GIF animator program, and then be able to play back the sequence of screen shots.

I had the 400t first in early Feb, then that had clock problems, then I got the 300 late Feb, and it was a nightmare, but now I am going to get the 400t.

@space_weaseal

There is a comparison between the Colorado and 60csx here.

Thanks for the link...It will come in handy...

:unsure:

Also, the Colorado 400T had the 3D map view and the Topo preloaded that the 60csx does not plus a real nice user interface. I have the 400T and love it. I have not had any problems. I am sure there are several other features the colorado had that the 60 does not.

Let’s go back to define “what is back track to you”. That’s why you don’t get a yes or no answer. The Colorado leaves a track or “bread crumb” trail on the map that you can visually retrace the trail that you came in on. That’s all the back tracking I need or even want. Some GPS’r will do more.

The Colorado 400t is higher priced because it is new but I can think of a few things it has to make up some of that “$150” difference.

1 – Topo US 2008 detail maps preinstalled

2 – Approx 3gb more internal memory

3 – Larger, beautiful high resolution color screen

4 – DEM map data to produce awesome shaded relief on the maps

Let’s go back to define “what is back track to you”. That’s why you don’t get a yes or no answer. The Colorado leaves a track or “bread crumb” trail on the map that you can visually retrace the trail that you came in on.

Exactly, thank you.

The Colorado leaves a track or “bread crumb” trail on the map that you can visually retrace the trail that you came in on. That’s all the back tracking I need or even want. Some GPS’r will do more.

Yep. That is back tracking to me.

Backtrack = "A visual reference used to retrace the path from which you came."

I actually like to follow the breadcrumb trail better than following the backtrack directions on my GPSV.

Edited by fourbeer

I have a 60CSx right now and I've been seriously thinking about a 400t. I have a navigation system in my primary car and a Nuvi for my wife so street navigation is a low priority for me.

I pretty much only use my 60CSx for geocaching and off-roading. I have MetroGuide USA and Topo loaded on it. Paperless geocaching is a big draw for me on the 400t. I usually shotgun download caches for the places I'm going to be in the next month or so and then look for them if and when time permits. That doesn't lend itself to printing the cache info. I also think the terrain data on the 400t will be awesome for geocaching and off-roading.

On the other hand, it's expensive and there are still a lot of bugs. I've only had to refer to a cache hint once so far (on Saturday as a matter of fact) so I'm not stressing about paperless caching too much. You can find 60CSx or 60Cx units out there for great prices (I'd stay away from the 60CS/60C) so it makes it even more attractive.

I'm going to wait for the firmware to stabilize and the price to come down before I make the jump.

Good luck!

I have a 60CSx right now and I've been seriously thinking about a 400t. I have a navigation system in my primary car and a Nuvi for my wife so street navigation is a low priority for me.

I pretty much only use my 60CSx for geocaching and off-roading. I have MetroGuide USA and Topo loaded on it. Paperless geocaching is a big draw for me on the 400t.

<snip>

Until the 400t has stabilized, using Garmin's POI Loader to send caches to your 'x' model GPSr allows you to have much more information in the Waypoint Description, if you use GSAK and the "Smart Name" codes.

It isn't as pretty as the Colorado, but it works very well. :unsure:

Until the 400t has stabilized, using Garmin's POI Loader to send caches to your 'x' model GPSr allows you to have much more information in the Waypoint Description, if you use GSAK and the "Smart Name" codes.

With all due respect.........

Loading "some" information via custom POIs for cache information is NOTHING compared to what is available on the Colorado. I have trouble believing that you have ever used a Colorado caching. It is a whole new world.

Have you actually used one? I doubt it. There are no stability issues. Any bugs remaining at the moment are minor. The units work beautifully for caching.

Edited by Red90

I've actually been using the web loader on "mygarmin" to download them. It's quick and easy to shotgun a bunch of caches on the unit. The extra bit of info can be helpful too.

I have a PDA so I'm thinking about putting the other info on there but I need to see if I can easily download a ton of caches to it quickly like I do with the GPS itself.

I pretty much only use my 60CSx for geocaching and off-roading. I have MetroGuide USA and Topo loaded on it. Paperless geocaching is a big draw for me on the 400t.

<snip>

Sorry, I wasn't the one who first used the word stabilize . . . I just didn't quote that other part of their post:

<snip>

I'm going to wait for the firmware to stabilize and the price to come down before I make the jump.

Good luck!

But you did repeat it in your text.....

So, to clarify, neither of you have used a Colorado, but are happy to come on here and tell people that it has "issues".

I know a half dozen people in the real world with them and they are all very happy. For GEOCACHING, it is a MUCH better device than the 60Csx, right now, as is, current firmware. Caching is supstantially easier with this device than it was using a 60csx. Real "bugs" are minor and rare to come across.

People need to realize that forums ATTRACT people that LIKE to complain. Because of this there is a disproportionite amount of negative to positive posts from what you would find in a survey of a full cross section of users.

Sorry, I wasn't the one who first used the word stabilize . . . I just didn't quote that other part of their post:

<snip>

Good luck!

So, to clarify, neither of you have used a Colorado, but are happy to come on here and tell people that it has "issues".

I know a half dozen people in the real world with them and they are all very happy. For GEOCACHING, it is a MUCH better device than the 60Csx, right now, as is, current firmware. Caching is supstantially easier with this device than it was using a 60csx. Real "bugs" are minor and rare to come across.

I agree 100% with Red90.

The only reason to wait is for a price drop. The Colorado works VERY WELL with the current firmware.

<snip>

Good luck!

People need to realize that forums ATTRACT people that LIKE to complain. Because of this there is a disproportionite amount of negative to positive posts from what you would find in a survey of a full cross section of users.

Sorry, Red90. I was just responding to OpenTrackRacer and supporting that person in their decision to wait until the price of the Colorado came down a bit, and until the firmware was stabilized. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. :unsure:

If I had $600.00 to spend on a GPS unit, perhaps I would go down to REI and buy one now, because they are so cool. However, in the meantime, my Vista HCx and old Palm m515 works just fine for me. :(

<snip>

Good luck!

Where did get that data from? sounds like, it's just your opinion and you just pulled it out of your A**. As far the The Colorado, it's way short of being 100%. You know that. If you like being sold a product that does not perform like a finished, ready to use, 100% reliable, then your entitled to that. but don't shove your view down the forums throat or goat someone else for feeling the Colorado is not STABILIZED.

I guess your comment might constitute complaining in your sense, so you are actually making up part of your own referenced stats. Carry On!

<snip>

Good luck!

Where did get that data from? sounds like, it's just your opinion and you just pulled it out of your A**. As far the The Colorado, it's way short of being 100%. You know that. If you like being sold a product that does not perform like a finished, ready to use, 100% reliable, then your entitled to that. but don't shove your view down the forums throat or goat someone else for feeling the Colorado is not STABILIZED.

I guess your comment might constitute complaining in your sense, so you are actually making up part of your own referenced stats. Carry On!

WOW!

This is getting out of control...Everyone is intitled to their own opinions so dont bash someone for their input when you had none of you own. (expet to flame on someone)

I have decided an it will be the 60CSx and i will get the 400t in a few mo...

The other thing i have decided, is i want no part of this site if this is how plp act on here...It seem that some plp on here just wants a argument.. :unsure:

Edited by space_weaseal
Where did get that data from? sounds like, it's just your opinion...

Obviously, it is my opinion. Otherwise I would not have typed it.

I have come to that conclusion based on comparing observations with people in the real world versus reading in the virtual world. On this specific subject, I have not found anyone unhappy with the Colorado that I have met. However, if you read these forums, you would "think" that 75% of the people that own one are unhappy. I am a regular forum user on various topics, and this is very typical of forum use. Forums attract the type of people that like to argue and the type of poeple that like to complain. They do not attract an even and balanced proportion of society. Not EVERYONE is one of these type of people... All that I said was that a disproportionate amount of people are this way in comparison to the general population.

As to the Colorado, I did NOT say it was 100%. I said is has minor bugs. In my use (around one month and 75 to 100 caches), I have only run into a "bug" around 3 times. These were all due to a bug in the html parser within the unit. Sure there are things that would be nice to see changed, but that does not mean it is not working fine, at this time.

And I must ask texbaz, have you used a Colorado?

I am going to add my two cents as well. I have had my Colorado 400t since Easter. I have gone caching every weekend since then and then some. I have only had very minor problems with it. This is of course to be expected with any thing new. In my opinion it is very stable and I have not used my 60CSx since I bought the Colorado (Except for averaging waypoints). I am very happy with my Colorado and for me it is far superior to my 60CSx. I like coming here to the Forums for advice and conversation (I am still pretty new to the Forums), however if I had listened to what every one here said about the Colorado I would never have purchased one. I went to a local retailer and checked it out for myself.

It seems more people come here to complain about the Colorado than to promote it. I love mine and it can only get better.

I agree 100% with Red90.

The only reason to wait is for a price drop. The Colorado works VERY WELL with the current firmware.

I know many of you have been having good luck with Colorado and I've had good days as well but let me give you an opposing view based on a real geocaching experience recently.

A new cache gets approved nearby so I decide to go for the FTF.

I turn on my Colorado and it hangs at the Garmin logo during startup which after pulling batteries is proceeded by the "time being off, slow to lock" issue (I'm convinced these two are related because they always happen together). This doesn't happen to me frequently but about once in every 20-30 power-ups I see it.

Download the geocache (as a gpx file) and drive off to the cache.

In the car I'm autorouting to parking and during a route recalculation the maps and everything on the map page except for the cursor disappear, just a white background. I've seen this happen before, again infrequently. but it happens sometimes during recalculation.

I get to the parking and on the way to the cache page I hit show description and the Colorado hangs - forgot to check this before I left. Pull the batteries and off I go again.

I've had some trips where the CO worked flawlessly but there are still (too many) trips like these. I think potential buyers should be aware of what they might be getting into.

Call it complaining but I know of 5-6 other very experienced Colorado users around here who have mixed feelings as well - I don't know anyone who is 100% satisfied with it. We are all excited about aspects of it (screen resolution, paperless caching, Wherigo) but as a whole it I find it hard to say that is a stable GPS.

GO$Rs

I know many of you have been having good luck with Colorado and I've had good days as well but let me give you an opposing view based on a real geocaching experience recently.

You have a bad unit. Return it..... None of that should happen.

That's not true. I've talked to Garmin about the hang/time problem and they claim it is going to be fixed by software (although I have heard conflicting information). The geocache show description hang is a well documented issue that many people can reproduce with the same gpx file over different units. As for the rerouting issue, I was able to reproduce the issue tonight on the way home and it happened in exactly the same place. I'm going to try it with another Colorado but I'm guessing it fails the same way if I use the same route and the same map configuration.

And even if these were all hardware issues shouldn't perspective buyers be aware that buying a Colorado right now may also involve the hassle of discovering that they have a defective unit? Of the 5-6 people I know with Colorados 2 have had to send them back, not a good statistical sample but certainly feels high to me based on what I've observed with other GPSs.

GO$Rs

I have really been trying stay of of this until the next update, but...Red90, If everyone returned there "bad" units because of these issues there would be very few if any Colorados out in the real world. They would all be back at Garmin. I know that you see all of the same issues in the forums that the rest of us see, I am sure that you even have a few of them yourself even if you won't admit it here in the forums. Our two units one 15XX and one 21XX serial numbers are used daily for geocaching since their purchase (our current strreak is 218 days). We see at least one issue and sometimes more, every day. Do they function and are we able to find caches? Obviously, yes. Are there some really cool features? Yes. However, they are far from being stable and IMHO still have much more wrong than a "few minor bugs". Waiting for the next update :)

Ok guys and gals, "im back".. I had to step away for a bit and get a unbiased opioin on the matter.. I had my wife sit down and read everything, and she said i should of made my questions clearer, and i was acting like a brat, so i do apoligize to all..

One good thing is she said, "Why not get both?"(Gotta love tax season,. "Its better than Christmas") She said she would like one as well so get both and she will take the one i dont like, so i will be placing a Order for the 300 or 400t tonight.. Now for the coin toss..."which one"

I forgot to add i did order the 60CSx today with topo and city na...Does garmin sale unlock codes so i can use the city na on both units...

Edited by space_weaseal

so i will be placing a Order for the 300 or 400t tonight.. Now for the coin toss..."which one"

I forgot to add i did order the 60CSx today with topo and city na...Does garmin sale unlock codes so i can use the city na on both units...

If you have already ordered Topo ( US I assume ) you may want to just get the 300 as you can then load your Topo maps on both units.

so i will be placing a Order for the 300 or 400t tonight.. Now for the coin toss..."which one"

If you have already ordered Topo ( US I assume ) you may want to just get the 300 as you can then load your Topo maps on both units.

Can i do that? I keep hearing, about how i can only use the software on only one device..And is the internal memory the same on the 300 as the 400t...I realy have not got a clue, thats why i am asking..Any help would be welcomed...

Can i do that? I keep hearing, about how i can only use the software on only one device..

For US Topo you are OK. It's City Navigator that you have unlock code issues, one per unit.

And is the internal memory the same on the 300 as the 400t...I realy have not got a clue, thats why i am asking..Any help would be welcomed...

There IS a difference but someone else should comment on the actual sizes as I haven't really been following that part of units. The real question is "Do you need the extra storage?" ... again, for others to discuss as I have the 400t and don't have space issues.

That's not true. I've talked to Garmin about the hang/time problem and they claim it is going to be fixed by software (although I have heard conflicting information). ....

Sure, that is what they say.....

There is obviously a serious QA problem at the factory and they need to fend off as many returns as possible...

I've only had mine hang on specific caches that have HTML. Strip the HTML and they work fine. If it is bothersome, run a GSAK macro to strip all HTML code from the caches. I have seen nothing wrong not related to that issue. Of the 6 people I know, only one has had a bad unit and it was a physical problem.

As I say, I believe there is a serious QA problem going on. Anyone with a problem that is not known and reproducable in another unit, should return it.

That's not true. I've talked to Garmin about the hang/time problem and they claim it is going to be fixed by software (although I have heard conflicting information). ....

Sure, that is what they say.....

There is obviously a serious QA problem at the factory and they need to fend off as many returns as possible...

I've only had mine hang on specific caches that have HTML. Strip the HTML and they work fine. If it is bothersome, run a GSAK macro to strip all HTML code from the caches. I have seen nothing wrong not related to that issue. Of the 6 people I know, only one has had a bad unit and it was a physical problem.

As I say, I believe there is a serious QA problem going on. Anyone with a problem that is not known and reproducable in another unit, should return it.

Can you please explain what yall are talking about becuse i am totaly lost and realy do want to learn as much info as possable...I am new to high-tec GPS's, (i have been useing my old army compass and etrex the last few years)

Keep in mind that the 400t has topos on the gps but not for your computer, which is very helpfull when planning out caching runs. Topo maps work in any unit and city nav has an unlock code for one gps only. More codes can be purchased.

If buying the software for the 60csx all you need is the colorado 300 it is exactly the same as the 400's but without the maps preloaded. The garmin tech rep that came to my store where i sell gps's, was unable to answer why they didn't just name them the 400, 400i,400c, and 400t. instead using 300 for the one without maps.

Edited by JEEBRA

Red90, do you have a Colorado? I have a 60CSx and "had" a 400T and have been using GPS's for a long time. IMHO, the 60CSx is a much better, more stable instrument at this point in time. The Colorado has all the potential to supersede the 60CSx, but its not there yet. If you can stand the growing pains, buy the Colorado now and grow with it. If you want one of the best handheld GPSr's now, fully functional, buy the 60CSx. Hope this helps!

Can i do that? I keep hearing, about how i can only use the software on only one device..And is the internal memory the same on the 300 as the 400t...I realy have not got a clue, thats why i am asking..Any help would be welcomed...

Most 400t's have 4GB of internal memory with about 1GB of free space (3GB is used for the Topo map and other preloaded files). 300's have 512MB of internal memory with about 350MB of free space (150MB-200MB is used for preloaded files).

Note there were some early 400ts that only had 3GB of free space, but I haven't heard reports of these recently.

GO$Rs