Nuvi 7 Series. Beginners guide to TRUE paperless caching

The file needs to be a bitmap (BMP file extension). Be sure to save as a 256 Color bitmap. The size should be 24x24 or smaller. I have found that 18x18 or smaller works best.

Rename your icon EXACTLY the same name as your POI file except for the file extension (the three letters after the dot).

For example, if your POI file was "Caches.csv", you would rename the icon for that POI as "Caches.bmp". Note that the names are case sensitive.

NOTE: The default setting on many computers is to "hide file extensions for known file types". If this is the case on your computer, make sure that you change the setting in your file browser so that you can see the extensions to ensure that you don't add double file extensions. (ie Caches.bmp.bmp which won't work.)

Be sure you don't have any extra spaces or underlines in one file name that aren't in the other.

You would then place both files in the same folder on your computer. (Not on your GPS unit.)

Then run POI Loader and the icon will load with the file.

Be sure you are zoomed in to 200 feet or closer. If you aren't getting the Custom Icon, are you getting the default gray dot?

Ok, I have a few questions about this Nuvi paperless deal. Can you still do all of this with EasyGPS, or do HAVE to use GSAK? And also, I have not read this yet (maybe i missed it) but can any of this be done with the 2XX series? Particularly the 250W?

For any Custom POI list whether they are caches or something else, the menus will only show the 50 locations nearest to your current position. The list will change as you travel. As you discovered, the rest are there and can be searched by spelling the name.

Why thankyou! Much appreciate your advice!

Danny

The file needs to be a bitmap (BMP file extension). Be sure to save as a 256 Color bitmap. The size should be 24x24 or smaller. I have found that 18x18 or smaller works best.

Rename your icon EXACTLY the same name as your POI file except for the file extension (the three letters after the dot).

For example, if your POI file was "Caches.csv", you would rename the icon for that POI as "Caches.bmp". Note that the names are case sensitive.

NOTE: The default setting on many computers is to "hide file extensions for known file types". If this is the case on your computer, make sure that you change the setting in your file browser so that you can see the extensions to ensure that you don't add double file extensions. (ie Caches.bmp.bmp which won't work.)

Be sure you don't have any extra spaces or underlines in one file name that aren't in the other.

You would then place both files in the same folder on your computer. (Not on your GPS unit.)

Then run POI Loader and the icon will load with the file.

Be sure you are zoomed in to 200 feet or closer. If you aren't getting the Custom Icon, are you getting the default gray dot?

Thanks, I'm an IT guy, so I'm not *completely* computer stupid, just slightly. <_<

I'll have to play with the zoom level, that's one place I haven't gone. I know that prior to pilotsnipes work I could load them as favorites with the geocache icon and they would show up at the same as the auto map level, and the wife is expecting the same functionality. I do get a grey dot and a label if I look for it in map view, dunno if it changes to an icon at a different zoom level.

Nuvi is the wife's, I can only make limited changes to her world. <_< This does make me want to try to see what my Streetpilot 7200 will support though. Thanks for your help.

-Roger

Ok people, listen up I'm addressing a lot if issues here. Your name is probably in the list below...

I leave the the display set to show the map and continually zoom in as I get closer. Eventually, I can turn the unit off and start looking in the general area for "likely" cache hiding locations. I used to think the GPS display would lead me to end up standing on top of the cache - so I'd walk around staring at the display while my wife or friends (not looking at a GPS display) would inevitably yell "I found it!"

Using the map display ONLY to work your way to a cache is almost pointless, it is too inaccurate. You look like you're standing over it, but you can easy been 80 ft or more away from it!

Please read the tutorial again (post 2 & 3) and learn how to use the co-ordinates page. It will get you to within around 4-5 metres of the cache. (Sometimes you will be standing over it!)

If it makes any difference or anyone is interested I set the whole thing up using my 760 and Apple Macbook and everything runs just fine using Parallels.

Excellent. I shall add that to the tutorial.

The only thing I didn't know was how to "click" on the green signal bars to get to the 'coordinates screen'. On my unit at least, one needs to 'click and hold' for a couple seconds for that screen to appear.

Yes, that is the same for me too, I shall add this as well!

AND: A quick request for help....

On a side note, I have created some zip files of caches from geocaching.com for planned routes in the USA this Summer (I am located in the UK) but these do not feature in my Custom POI's list when uploaded - only those that I loaded in the tutorial appear (those within x miles radius of my home, x no. of queries)?

Yes this caught me out a few months ago as well. Clyde from GSAK pointed me towards this link which confirms that the Nuvis show the nearest waypoints up to a distant limit then stop. If you wish to look at waypoints further than this, you can by searching/spelling for them. LINK

I've stumbled upon another geocache that crashes the '760. If you get a chance, load:

I've found the cause of this and will be releasing a new updated macro in an hour or so.

This crash is again due to someone placing a comment html tag in the description field. However in this case they also added some normal html tags whilst inside the comment tag eg.

<!-- This is a normal comment -->
<!-- This is a <font colour=blue>really stupid place</font> to place normal html tags -->

Anyone who knows html code will realise how silly it is to place a normal html tag in a comment section! The macro wasn't able to check for this particular case and so never removed the comment line. That is why it was crashing. I've changed the search line to check for this type of thing now.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. !!

This doesn't affect any Nuvi 3xx's because they do not display any html code.

Gee, I can't even get my posts right. Steve, you were right I reentered the waypoint name info and solved that problem. However, I got two different problems now. When I get to the screen where I see: "ShoalCr/Tra/N/GCxxxx 4.2 NE" Right below it I get the following: Alert informantion: Distance: 1319ft Speed: 3mph, below this starts the <font color=red> etc. And on the right of this screen I'm missing the big green GO!

This is what I was trying to get posted earlier.

This is either 1 of 2 things

1) You need to go back to the first post and be VERY VERY careful with filling out the fields in GSAK export menu. It looks like you still have something wrong in there. Use my "copy and paste" boxes to make sure you don;t have any mistakes. That's why they are there.

2) Whilst uploading the caches using POILoader, you have Selected the "Manual" option (instead of express) which has been set up to have a proximity alert for your waypoints.

Try re-uploading using express instead of manual in POILoader.

Edited by pilotsnipes

When geocaching with the Nuvi, do you have a compass screen that guides you to a geocache (distance and bearing) or are you relying on the coordinate display? I would think relying on the coordinate screen would be unacceptable for geocacing.

No compass screen on my 680. I find it worthless for caching other than as a paperless display due to pilotsnipes work, and routing/getting as close as possible by road. After parking it's handheld for me.

Come on guys, please read the 2nd paragraph in post 1.

This annoys me a bit, not all of us have 2 or 3 GPS' to play with, so what we've done is make the best out of what we have. Lets leave it at that.

Oh and my 40+ finds at the moment are a testament to the fact that the Nuvi works just great if you're competent at using it's features.

And for easier viewing on the map screen, you can create a BMP icon and load it with your Custom POI file by naming it the same as the Custom POI file (other than the file extension) and by placing it in the same folder as the Custom POI file.

I can't get this to work on a Nuvi 680. When you say in the same folder, do you mean the computer folder on the machine running POI loader, or in the Nuvi folder that contains the loaded POI file on the nuvi itself?

Ok for this to work using my example in the tutorial do the following, you should have a file called:

C:\Program Files\gsak\poiloader\All geocaches.gpx

Now find the icon (using the format as mentioned before) you want to use as the symbol for your caches, and move it to:

C:\Program Files\gsak\poiloader\All geocaches.bmp

Now run POILoader. All your caches will now have that icon.

Ok, I have a few questions about this Nuvi paperless deal. Can you still do all of this with EasyGPS, or do HAVE to use GSAK? And also, I have not read this yet (maybe i missed it) but can any of this be done with the 2XX series? Particularly the 250W?

The Nuvi 250 will work. But please edit the "Nuvi7xxDandH" macro, at the bottom you'll see 3 values around 8000, change this to about 2000 as the nuvi 2xx series appears to crash with more selected. More feedback required for this

New macro coming in a couple of hours.

First of all, FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so much for your effort in creating this macro. I changed the buffer value to 2000 and it worked perfectly on my Nuvi200W.

Second, I got to poking around a bit in your macro. It occured to me that if you made a couple of small changes that it would be easier for each user to "adjust" it to his/her own Nuvi. So, with that in mind, I made a couple of small changes. You may incorporate them if you desire, as it is your creation.

Change 1: Added to the declaration subroutine

$Nuvi2XX = "2000"

$Nuvi3XX = "8000"

$Nuvi4XX = "8000"

$Nuvi5XX = "8000"

$Nuvi6XX = "8000"

$Nuvi7XX = "8000"

Declare Var=$GPSr Type=Numeric

I set a variable of each model to an appropriate buffer length.

Change 2: Added immediately after your declare sub

####################

#

# Replace value below with your Nuvi model type

#

####################

$GPSr = Val("$Nuvi2XX")

Setting the model number as the GPSr value allows for a quick and easy way to modify the macro to each person's GPSr. Effectively it creates a constant so you only have to make a change in one place near the top of the macro.

change 3: Made at the bottom of the macro where the buffer data is created

# Nuvi contact section only supports 3150 bytes using 2000 to provide a buffer for html formatting etc.

$HintLen = Len($hints)

$LogsLen = Len($logs)

if len($combdesc) + $HintLen + $LogsLen > $GPSr

#If total string too large, dump the logs.

$_special = left($_special, $GPSr - $HintLen) + $hints

else

$_special = $combdesc + $hints + $logs

endif

Substituting the variable $GPSr for the hardwired data makes the above a quick change.

Again, these are just suggestions for ease of use. You have done a great job of creating the macro and it is much appreciated!

:P

As an interesting (or not) side note, I've taken to putting all my geocache POIs on a seperate SD memory card. When I insert it into my GPSr, it asks me if I want to make them available in case the card is removed. I answer "No", so my GPSr is never "cluttered" with old caches, and a simple new download to the card takes care of any unwanted caches.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. !!

This doesn't affect any Nuvi 3xx's because they do not display any html code.

Gee, I can't even get my posts right. Steve, you were right I reentered the waypoint name info and solved that problem. However, I got two different problems now. When I get to the screen where I see: "ShoalCr/Tra/N/GCxxxx 4.2 NE" Right below it I get the following: Alert informantion: Distance: 1319ft Speed: 3mph, below this starts the <font color=red> etc. And on the right of this screen I'm missing the big green GO!

This is what I was trying to get posted earlier.

This is either 1 of 2 things

1) You need to go back to the first post and be VERY VERY careful with filling out the fields in GSAK export menu. It looks like you still have something wrong in there. Use my "copy and paste" boxes to make sure you don;t have any mistakes. That's why they are there.

2) Whilst uploading the caches using POILoader, you have Selected the "Manual" option (instead of express) which has been set up to have a proximity alert for your waypoints.

Try re-uploading using express instead of manual in POILoader.

shucks pilot, I can't claim to be a 'complete' fool, I'm not that good a fool. Anyway, your program was working for me but after I used it a couple of times something changed. So, two days ago I did what you suggested above and it's now working just fine. I appreciate you, and others, putting up with some of my incompetencies.

Jerry

New Version of Macro to add new Nuvi Units and some new features.

With all the discussion going on here during the last few weeks, we have managed to find that the Nuvi 2xx and 6xx also work very well with the original 7xx series procedures.

Because of this, there is no need to limit this thread to only the 7xx series Nuvis. Therefore I am SCRAPPING THE Nuvi7DandH macro and REPLACING IT WITH A GENERIC ONE that can cover the Nuvi 2xx/6xx/7xx series units instead.

When/if I get access to edit my posts again (some sort of time out feature on this board stops me from doing it) I shall edit this thread title and update the tutorial to make it more generic for all the new units we can now service.

Some new features too:

1) Updated the macro so that you are now alerted if a cache has been marked as "Temp Unavailable" or "Archived".

This should hopefully stop you wasting your time on a cache that is no longer there. The alert will be shown in red just underneath the cache attributes, and before the description begins.

2) 1 Macro will cover ALL 2xx/6xx/7xx series units. You only need to edit one line in the macro to let it know which unit you have.

3) I think I really have fixed the crashing Nuvi 7xx's when they encounter comment code in any html, please report back if any caches still manage to make it fall over.

Obtaining the new Macro

To be more organised in distributing the macro, I have set up a new hosting location that only contains the latest version of the macro.

If you download from this new location, you are GUARANTEED the most up-to-date version. Just download the new file and replace the old one in the MACRO directory under GSAK.

Any problems or feed back please let me know.

Due to the fact that this is a new macro NAME, we have some small edits to make in the export menu of GSAK.

Here is the new picture:

newexport.gif

Please enter the following code into the Waypoint Name

%smart=10/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=*

And the Cache Description

<font color=red>%Name by %By,</font><br><font color=#008000>%typ=3/%con=3/%last4/Tb:%bug, (D:%Dif/T:%Ter)</font><br><font color=blue>Pl:%datepl, LF:%datelf</font><br><font color=orange>%lat=M, %lon=M</font><br><br>%macro="nuviwidescreenDandHv2"

Remember that is one line, do not try and split it.

Everything else should be left/look the same as above.

NuviwidescreenDandHv2 Macro - Latest Version

Edited by pilotsnipes

shucks pilot, I can't claim to be a 'complete' fool, I'm not that good a fool. Anyway, your program was working for me but after I used it a couple of times something changed. So, two days ago I did what you suggested above and it's now working just fine. I appreciate you, and others, putting up with some of my incompetencies.

Jerry

I sorry you thought I was talking about you Jerry, you've lifted that quote out of context! That line was in reference to people who were programming HTML and placing Font and IMG tages inside a html comment tag (something not very sensible). The macro wasn't expecting to see things like that and so didn't remove the "comment html" tag - crashing the 7 series.

I wasn't aiming it at you. Anyway, there's a new macro out, run through the instructions and see if it all works well for you now too.

:lol:

[Ok for this to work using my example in the tutorial do the following, you should have a file called:

C:\Program Files\gsak\poiloader\All geocaches.gpx

Now find the icon (using the format as mentioned before) you want to use as the symbol for your caches, and move it to:

C:\Program Files\gsak\poiloader\All geocaches.bmp

Now run POILoader. All your caches will now have that icon.

Actually found a way to break this, which was where I was going wrong. Leave it to me to find it :-)

Can't name the file "geocache.gpx" and have a "geocache.bmp" file in the directory. Seems as if you do, the Nuvi ignores it. Change the file to "CustomPOI.gpx" and "CustomPOI.bmp" and the icon shows up just fine.

Good work PilotSnipes, I'd love to see this get taken to the "next level" where rather than inserting into the waypoint name the cache type (ie /Tra) you categorize similar to the way that was done in Javapqmr's Work on the 60Csx ( http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry41543 ) which does break out on the Nuvi the Caches by category under the Custom POI section.

I have found some minor bugs in yours, primarily with Waypoint names that incorporate parens () where they're stripped and a numeric value inserted in their place. Also unless bug=* is the last variable in the name 1t will subesquently strip the trailing slash. Other users may want to keep this in mind when modifying as I have.. in my case the waypoint name was simplified to: %smart=15/%code%bug=*

Regards,

Roger

Edited by CCrew

Good work PilotSnipes, I'd love to see this get taken to the "next level" where rather than inserting into the waypoint name the cache type (ie /Tra) you categorize similar to the way that was done in Javapqmr's Work on the 60Csx ( http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry41543 ) which does break out on the Nuvi the Caches by category under the Custom POI section.

If I understand that Macro (and I don't yet) you would end up with a number of csv files that had a particular type of cache in each file.

Then each file was uploaded using POILoader giving you your categories that you want.

Firstly, a csv file cannot add the correct fields required to allow all the nuvis to display the long description.

Secondly, you can do all of this using your filters in GSAK a bit more.

This is an example.

Filter your caches using GSAK for traditional ones.

Then export, saving your file as: c:\program files\gsak\poiloader\traditonal.gpx

Filter your caches using GSAK for virtual ones.

Then export, saving your file as: c:\program files\gsak\poiloader\virtual.gpx

Filter your caches using GSAK for micro caches with a difficultly of 3, terrain greater than 2 you haven't found in the last year

Then export, saving your file as: c:\program files\gsak\poiloader\microhard.gpx

Repeat ad nuseum.

Load POI loader and upload those files. They'll be in categories for you under Custom POIs!

Remember if you have icons called traditional.bmp and virtual.bmp in the same directory, they'll be used for each category of cache too!

Is this what you were looking for?

Also, the Caches with "()" in them, could you link me to one please? Even better a screen shot would be great. Also, I have tried to read the travelbug code stripping the slash but I can't understand that. Could you elaborate more please?

Thanks.

Edited by pilotsnipes

Also, the Caches with "()" in them, could you link me to one please? Even better a screen shot would be great. Also, I have tried to read the travelbug code stripping the slash but I can't understand that. Could you elaborate more please?

Thanks. I'll play with the categories. I understand tht the CSV wouldn't support, But the category functionality still could could it not? (Via macro versus convolutions in filters)

Here's a cache that will munge with the parens:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cf-e3915cd39774

and the same cache if you change the tag string in the waypoint name it should also display the TB issue by changing the Waypoint name string to %code%bug=*/%smart=7

Display looks like this: (Note the trailing slash is lost in the first entry)

nuvi.jpg

and as a FYI, none of this works on a Streetpilot 7200. While it has POI functionality it's a *totally* different display where the description info is displayed alngside a map screen, not in a screen of it's own. It has no screenshot function, but this is a POI/waypoint screen:

7200.jpg

It's saving grace however is that it does have a "delete all" for favorites, which is what I hate about the 680 we have

Edited by CCrew

Hey I think all this stuff that everyone here has created is just great. My only trouble is trying understand it all and to put it to use. I just purchased the Garmin Nuvi 250W and would really like to use the POI loader to put all my unfound caches into it but I am really confused by all the language here. I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to inputting all of this stuff and it would be nice if there was a tutorial that would explain the step by step process to put the waypoints into my Nuvi. Maybe a dummies tutorial for all of us out there who have a hard time with the computer stuff. ;) Thanks for everyone's hard work.

Edited by Haffy

Pilotsnipes I just spent about 30 minutes reading this thread and downloading the macro and PQ and had my job issued Nuvi 760 loaded up with 500+ of the closest caches to my house. Kudos to you for all your work. This macro blows the others I have used out of the water! I do have the luxary of caching with a 60csx and Nuvi 760 and I may just start leaving the 60CSX at home.

THANK YOU!

changing the Waypoint name string to %code%bug=*/%smart=7

Display looks like this: (Note the trailing slash is lost in the first entry)

nuvi.jpg

This one is easy.

Here is from the GSAK manual:

%bug - If Cache contains a travel bug, returns Y, if not found returns N. This tag also support the syntax %bug=xx where the first character is used for "Has travel bug" and the second for "No travel bug". For example, if you would prefer the %bug tag to show an asterisk when a cache has a travel bug and an exclamation when not, the syntax would be %bug=*!

Your version of the Waypoint name has Bug=*/

This means show "*" for a bug present or "/" if it is not present! Not exactly what you want. Either select a separate character for "no travel bug" or leave a space there before the slash.

Well, after much gnashing of teeth and banging of head against the screen... I think I can say with some certainty that the SAFE character limit for the 200W is only 1000. Had it set to 2000 and noticed that some[\i] caches caused it to either turn itself off, or lock up its screen. I started examining the offending caches and noticed their entries were JUST over 1000 characters. :lol: (I loaded them to an SD card, opened them with wordpad and pasted the entry to word and did a character count). So, it appears you can reduce the count (at least for the 200Ws) down to 1000 in your next version.

PBH

Pilot Snipes,

Moved my line of questions from the Nuvi 3xx thread.

I had installed the nuviwidescreenDandH on my Nuvi 260 ( which is not widescreen).

Using the custom export it would lock up when trying to look at a specific cache.

But, when I used POI loader it worked fine. All the information was there, but the screen format was off ( I suspect because my 260 is not widescreen )

I then downloaded the DandH7xx macro and tried it. Some caches would work ( though didn't seem to provide as much info as the nuviwidescreen.....perhaps other settings were off).

Several other caches would lock the unit ( GCQ6XG is an example)

What is the best Macro for the nuvi260? Is there an edit I need to apply to that macro to optimize for the 260?

I must say, the macro and the setup for the 7xx LOOKS GREAT if I could get it to work on my Nuvi260.

Thanks for your work in this area!!

LargeNoggin ( Newby)

Ah!

In my haste (I've never seen a 200 series in real life) I assummed ALL 2xx were widescreen (like 7xx/6xx)

We're going to have to tweak things for you sir, and you've just volunteered to be a guinnee pig!

Would you send your email to me via private message?

The file needs to be a bitmap (BMP file extension). Be sure to save as a 256 Color bitmap. The size should be 24x24 or smaller. I have found that 18x18 or smaller works best.....

Be sure you are zoomed in to 200 feet or closer......

Does any one know of a hack on the Nuvi 7xx to allow a user to view CustomPOI's (Cache symbols) when zoomed out greater the 200 feet?

Ah!

In my haste (I've never seen a 200 series in real life) I assummed ALL 2xx were widescreen (like 7xx/6xx)

We're going to have to tweak things for you sir, and you've just volunteered to be a guinnee pig!

Ah!

I have played with this a little more and have had success. Using the latest macro AND changing the limit for the Nuvi200XX to 1000 characters, it is looking very good on my screen.

I am not seeing any logs however. Is this due to the 1000 character limit? I'm not seeing any logs even for those caches that do not have a description any where near 1000 characters.

If I read the threads correctly, the Nuvi 300 series has an 8000 character limit. As I have recently purchased my nuvi260 from Amazon, I could easily exchange for the Nuvi350 or 360 for a small increase in price. Would using either of these other units result in having more information available to display??

Thoughts anyone??

In either case, the work you and others have done in this area is outstanding and is making my geocaching life much easier. I use the auto GPS to get me close and then use my VistaHCX from that point on.

Thank You!

PS did you receive my EMail as requested?

I have played with this a little more and have had success. Using the latest macro AND changing the limit for the Nuvi200XX to 1000 characters, it is looking very good on my screen.

Excellent.

I am not seeing any logs however. Is this due to the 1000 character limit? I'm not seeing any logs even for those caches that do not have a description any where near 1000 characters.

If you have set your log export to be say 9 or 10 logs, then you will easily go over the 1000 character limit and so the macro dumps the logs to ensure it maintains it's requested approx 1000 characters or less.

If you tried to use say 2 logs (in the export menu) then for caches with a small description, you probably might get to see them. 1000 characters is very little to play with when you include all the html formatting stuff. That's why I have a logic process of dumping logs in favour for more description.

If I read the threads correctly, the Nuvi 300 series has an 8000 character limit. As I have recently purchased my nuvi260 from Amazon, I could easily exchange for the Nuvi350 or 360 for a small increase in price. Would using either of these other units result in having more information available to display??

The Nuvi 7xx series has 8000 limit.

The nuvi 3xx and 6xx have 20,000 (twenty THOUSAND!) character limit!

So yes, if you had a 6xx or 3xx you would get full description and full logs for all caches (haven't found one yet that's bigger than 20000 characters.

Yes, my work takes me away from the computer and country continually so I have to get back to this just whenever I can! Thanks for that.

Does any one know of a hack on the Nuvi 7xx to allow a user to view CustomPOI's (Cache symbols) when zoomed out greater the 200 feet?

No. And if you ever find it, please let the rest of us know!

I am preparing a new feature for this, that will alert you on the screen when you xx meters/miles away from a cache, where xx is your defined value. Stay tuned.

:D:D:D

No. And if you ever find it, please let the rest of us know!

I am preparing a new feature for this, that will alert you on the screen when you xx meters/miles away from a cache, where xx is your defined value. Stay tuned.

I think I like the alert idea better!! Can't wait!

Excellent.

If you have set your log export to be say 9 or 10 logs, then you will easily go over the 1000 character limit and so the macro dumps the logs to ensure it maintains it's requested approx 1000 characters or less.

If you tried to use say 2 logs (in the export menu) then for caches with a small description, you probably might get to see them. 1000 characters is very little to play with when you include all the html formatting stuff. That's why I have a logic process of dumping logs in favour for more description.

The Nuvi 7xx series has 8000 limit.

The nuvi 3xx and 6xx have 20,000 (twenty THOUSAND!) character limit!

So yes, if you had a 6xx or 3xx you would get full description and full logs for all caches (haven't found one yet that's bigger than 20000 characters.

Yes, my work takes me away from the computer and country continually so I have to get back to this just whenever I can! Thanks for that.

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible for me to modify the Macro to skip the description and show the logs ( instead of the description ) by removing or adjusting some code. This would allow to to export a separate POI list in addition to the one I have set up.

I find the logs can be very helpful if I am having trouble finding the cache.

I am very happy with the way it works now and would probably keep my 260 if this is possible. Otherwise, may look for one which can handle more characters.

Found the thread to be very informative, however, I have a Nuvi 200 (bought 2 days ago), I can not for the life of me get the satelites page to load (trying to push on the signal bars of the main "where to? / view map" page in the upper left. Is there something I have to do first? Or am I just a retard? :P

Positive, although the character count is a little lower than the other series.

I am finishing a new script for "largenoggin" for logs, it's almost done, but whilst creating it, I've managed to rewrite some code which should improve the 2xx/6xx/7xx series macro a lot!

When I manage to test it I shall update the macro and let you all know. I hope this will be within a day or two.

I have the Garmin Nivi660 and am having some problem understanding some of the display.

I have changed the “Waypoint name” in GSAK to read as follows for my liking.

%smart=7 %typ1%con1%dif1a%ter1a %last4 %datelf (If I use yours I get the same results)

The first screen when I select the file I have inputted reads as follows:

Xyst TM22 NNNF 4/27/2008 6.7mi S (no problem with this reading-it displays what I desire to see)

The “Cache Description” in GSAK is set to as Follows (same as yours):

<font color=red>%Name by %By,</font><br><font color=#008000>%typ=3/%con=3/%last4/Tb:%bug, (D:%Dif/T:%Ter)</font><br><font color=blue>Pl:%datepl, LF:%datelf</font><br><font color=orange>%lat=M, %lon=M</font><br><br>%macro="nuviwidescreenDandHv2"

Then when I select the Cache in question this is what is displayed on the first page.

Xyst TM22 NNNF 4/27/2008

Alert Information

Distance: 1319ft

Speed: 2mph

<font color=red>Xyst by sparkes4u,(/font><fon

All of the above are in large letters

I do not understand why the display includes the <font color=red and other font information. Why doesn’t it just post it in the color specified?

The next screen is:

Xyst TM22 NNNF 4/27/2008

Alert Information:

Distance: 1319ft

Speed: 2mph

Xyst by sparkles4u, (in red)

Tra/Mic/NNN/Tb:N, (D:2/T:2)

Pl:4/25/2008, LF:4/27/2008

N30 24.837, W88 57.065

(all displayed in the appropriate colors)

Description: (followed by the description of the cache, hint and logs

Then when you change screens to the next part by pushing “More” the display repeats some of the same information that has already been displayed. I do not understand why it repeats this same information?

Thanks for your great work on this project. It is greatly appreciated.

Can you confirm if you are using the "NUVI 2xx/6xx/7xx" macro or the "NUVI 3xx"

It sounds like you could be using the instructions of the Nuvi 3xx for your 6 series which is incorrect.

niviwidescreenDandHv2.gsk is the Macro installed in my GSAK directory.

I create the file in GSAK and then use Garmin POIloader.exe to transfer it to the Nivi660.

I am using a Garmin Nuvi 660. I performed every step of the way as it's outlined in the whole thread and topic 8251 which is listed under the GSAK, macro library.

I am using the "nuviwidescreenDandHv2.gsk" script.

In GSAK, Export GPX/LOC file, under waypoint name it says "%smart=10/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=*"

In the same window, under Cache description I have "<font color=red>%Name by %By,</font><br><font color=#008000>%typ=3/%con=3/%last4/Tb:%bug, (D:%Dif/T:%Ter)</font><br><font color=blue>Pl:%datepl, LF:%datelf</font><br><font color=orange>%lat=M, %lon=M</font><br><br>%macro="nuviwidescreenDandHv2" "

The generation of the export file goes just fine.

Then I use PoiLoader to upload the file. Alle goes fine.

When I click "Where to? ", "Extras", "Custom POIs", I get the caches as shown on in the forum thread, BUT what I also get is something else ...... they are for example "151AMH9", "141AMH9", etc. They seem to be waypoints of a cache that is also listed.

Why are these waypoints also in the list ? Is this normal ?

Regards,

Janneke67 from The Netherlands

Edited by janneke67

Yes, this is perfectly normal!

You have just discovered "child waypoints", these are waypoints that are IN ADDITION to a particular cache.

Say a particular cache is in a forest, a person may add a child waypoint to show the location of a good car park to use to get access to the cache. They may place the co-ordinates of the car park in the description, which you would manually have to enter (boring!) OR they could create a second waypoint with a very similar name that points at the correct cor-ordinates!

So in your case, look for a cache called:

GC1AMH9 (drop the first 2 letters of any childwaypoint and add GC)

And we find this:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1AMH9&Submit6.x=0&Submit6.y=0&Submit6=Find

I can't read dutch, but I can see there are 17 (WOW!) child waypoints for this cache. Now you can benefit from just selecting which ever one you need, without having to type in the co-ords.

95% of caches DO NOT have child waypoints, this one is a BIG exception! Simple rule of thumb, is that if the waypoints on your screen in the Nuvi are only 7 characters long, they are NOT caches, but child waypoints.

Edited by pilotsnipes

Yes, this is perfectly normal!

You have just discovered "child waypoints", these are waypoints that are IN ADDITION to a particular cache.

Say a particular cache is in a forest, a person may add a child waypoint to show the location of a good car park to use to get access to the cache. They may place the co-ordinates of the car park in the description, which you would manually have to enter (boring!) OR they could create a second waypoint with a very similar name that points at the correct cor-ordinates!

So in your case, look for a cache called:

GC1AMH9 (drop the first 2 letters of any childwaypoint and add GC)

And we find this:http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1AMH9&Submit6.x=0&Submit6.y=0&Submit6=Find

I can't read dutch, but I can see there are 17 (WOW!) child waypoints for this cache. Now you can benefit from just selecting which ever one you need, without having to type in the co-ords.

95% of caches DO NOT have child waypoints, this one is a BIG exception! Simple rule of thumb, is that if the waypoints on your screen in the Nuvi are only 7 characters long, they are NOT caches, but child waypoints.

Great, thanks for the reply. I am new to geocaching, so I'm sorry if this was a stupid question.

All seems to be working well on my nuvi 660. Just the screen before you hit the "Go" button. ;-)

Cache GC1AMH9 is a kayak-cache that takes you along 15 windmills in the area. There are also other waypoints listed in the POIs-list that are part of other caches. One disadvantage is that I don't get 50 different caches since the waypoints are included also. But I seem to need them for easy Geocaching. Sorry, I haven't had a cache with a waypoint yet.

Thanks for the hard work on the very useful MACRO !!!!!

Regards,

Janneke67

I have a different problem, and yes, I am somewhat computer illeterate. I think I followed the directions correctly throughout. I got to wher it said that 41 points were added to my unit (Nuvi 660). When I go to custom poi's, it says "no matches found". Did I forget a step or miss something obvious? I have reread the thread several times and I cannot get these poi's on my unit. I am very excited to try this out, but I am growing increasingly frustrated in what I believe to be my own stupidity.

I'll try:

If your GPS thinks it's in UK*, and you have uploaded geocaches for a trip you are making to say Australia*, the caches will not show up because the Nuvi doesn't show waypoints that are very far away from where it thinks it is.

Either force the Nuvi to think it's closer to the caches (GPS simulation) or upload caches that are closer to you.

* Please substitute these countries for your particular location.