Recommend a Linux Compatable GPSr and Software

I have seen a bunch of posts looking for compatible software for use with linux and magellan receivers. GSAK will transfer points, but not topo maps (and does not run well under wine or VirtualBox). Mapsend is expensive and not something I want to buy to experiment with.

I am looking for a Linux user that can recommend a setup with both the GPS and the software that runs on linux and can support topo maps and waypoint transfers. Does anything like this exist? I really wish Magellan would port their Mapsend to linux. ;)

I have seen a bunch of posts looking for compatible software for use with linux and magellan receivers. GSAK will transfer points, but not topo maps (and does not run well under wine or VirtualBox). Mapsend is expensive and not something I want to buy to experiment with.

I am looking for a Linux user that can recommend a setup with both the GPS and the software that runs on linux and can support topo maps and waypoint transfers. Does anything like this exist? I really wish Magellan would port their Mapsend to linux. ;)

Nokia N810. It runs Linux, has a GPS module, Bluetooth, Camera, WiFi and the maps and GPS software are free.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe when I am looking to replace my phone, but right now this isn't available for Sprint. To correct my previous post, I meant to say that the setup needs to be compatible with linux, not neccesarily run on it.

I am looking for a Mapsend/Mapsource type product and it's corresponding receiver that can be used with a linux desktop.

Just to clarify, the Nokia N810 is not a phone. Its a tablet PC running Linux. Its hackable and will do almost anything a regular PC running Linux will do. Many mainline applications have been ported for this version.

I was an early adopter of the N770 and have been very pleased with it. I'm using a Bluetooth GPS receiver and Maemo Mapper for car navigation.

If you don't mind not having a built-in GPSr, you can buy an N800 for around $230 from Tiger Direct and a Holux bluetooth GPSr for about $45.

As far as Linux, there are several mapping programs out there -- just Google. Haven't tried any with Geocaching, only logging travel, etc...

I also run Linux at home, the Ubuntu distro. There is a program called GPSMap that is Garmin compatible. I haven't tried to get my 60CSx running on it yet so I make no guarantees. It is supposed to only allow for very basic mapping functions so not sure how useful it'll be.

You also might be able to get Map Source running under WINE, again haven't tried it yet because I just got my 60CSx last week.

I'd also be interested to hear if there is Geocaching software that will run on a linux machine. We are looking at purchasing an Eee PC mini wifi laptop which is linux based. Would be great to be able to used it for geocaching, along with other applications.

The Asus Eee PC can be loaded with Windows XP...so if you have an extra copy of XP it would be much easier for geocaching. I've used an Eee PC with XP...works fine

I also run Linux at home, the Ubuntu distro. There is a program called GPSMap that is Garmin compatible. I haven't tried to get my 60CSx running on it yet so I make no guarantees. It is supposed to only allow for very basic mapping functions so not sure how useful it'll be.

You also might be able to get Map Source running under WINE, again haven't tried it yet because I just got my 60CSx last week.

That may be what I had running on the laptop previously -- its been a while and I've loaded a new distro on it of late. At any rate you can download various maps from Google, etc... and use them as well. On my Nokia I had satellite images, aviation maps, several different road maps, topo maps, etc...

I'd also be interested to hear if there is Geocaching software that will run on a linux machine. We are looking at purchasing an Eee PC mini wifi laptop which is linux based. Would be great to be able to used it for geocaching, along with other applications.

The Asus Eee PC can be loaded with Windows XP...so if you have an extra copy of XP it would be much easier for geocaching. I've used an Eee PC with XP...works fine

I am trying to avoid Windows completely. I have an old XP machine available, but I would hate to have to keep a machine for the sole purpose of uploading topo maps to a GPS. There HAS to be a simple solution out there somewhere.

Like marcjboudreau said, there are some programs out there. I tried running GSAK in WINE and can't get it to talk to my Magellan through the COM port. I even tried it through VirtualBox and ran into the same problem. Without COM port support, a virtual machine solution is not really a solution either.

Glen - My mistake. All of the references I saw mentioned GSM so I assumed it was a smartphone setup.

I tried a few things last night. Couldn't get Map Source to run under WINE last night kept freezing on the opening screen.

Tried using GPS Drive which is a Linux based program, not sure what the detail is like for any US locations cause I didn't check but for Canada it sucks.

I was able to get my computer to "see" the gps, or at least the micro SD Card by sending with NMEA. I only spent about 15mins. or so playing with it, but I'll probably keep playing around with it to see if I can get Map Source to run under WINE, which would be the ideal situation.

Worst case scenario I'll be forced to run a dual boot system, at this point I only run Linux at home. I have all my mapping softward on my work computer since it's already running windows.

I tried a few things last night. Couldn't get Map Source to run under WINE last night kept freezing on the opening screen.

Tried using GPS Drive which is a Linux based program, not sure what the detail is like for any US locations cause I didn't check but for Canada it sucks.

I was able to get my computer to "see" the gps, or at least the micro SD Card by sending with NMEA. I only spent about 15mins. or so playing with it, but I'll probably keep playing around with it to see if I can get Map Source to run under WINE, which would be the ideal situation.

Worst case scenario I'll be forced to run a dual boot system, at this point I only run Linux at home. I have all my mapping softward on my work computer since it's already running windows.

I had no luck with WINE, but I was finally able to get GSAK and EasyGPS working within VirtualBox. I am also running Ubuntu by the way. Now that I know the COM Ports are available, I will need to aquire a copy of MapSend to test it out.

I know I had to edit the ~/.wine/system.reg file and add a section related to COM ports. I will look that up when I get home tonight, if it helps. This was an accidental fix that should have only fixed WINE, but somehow fixed the VirtualBox issue instead.

You might need to futz with versions; not necessarily using the Mapsource .exe version from your particular Garmin CD, but installing something from their web site instead, and then installing just the maps that you've got. Or trying different Wine releases until you get the "magical" one (and noting that version in case a later release breaks things again).

Right now, I'm using Wine version 0.9.58 and Mapsource 6.13.6, and everything's great, but it has been a PITA getting the stars to align at times.

I use 3 types of GPSr within Linux environnement:

- eTrex Vista Hcx

- TomTom Go910

- TomTom on a smartphone

To do so, I run Mapsource and/or TomTom Home in Windows XP running in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) within Linux (Ubuntu).

No problem at all, everything runs flawlessly.

I use 3 types of GPSr within Linux environnement:

- eTrex Vista Hcx

- TomTom Go910

- TomTom on a smartphone

To do so, I run Mapsource and/or TomTom Home in Windows XP running in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) within Linux (Ubuntu).

No problem at all, everything runs flawlessly.

Did you have a problem getting the com ports working with VirtualBox? Mine don't seem to want to show up. I am running Hardy Beta on 64 bit with the standard VirtualBox OSE from the repositories.