geocaches with children in East Anglia

Seeking suggestions for child friendly / appealing caches in Cambridgeshire, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

I discovered geocaching as an adult, and last year introduced my sister and one of her daughters - 2 caches in a park local to their home, 1 involving jumping over a stream onto an island, so they loved it. In fact, niece kept nagging until they bought a GPSr. They live in Birmingham and have just got a campervan, so are beginning to travel away at weekends. I live in Cambridge, so I'm asking for suggestions of geocaches in East Anglia, for active girls aged 7 and 9 years, to be reached on foot or bike, after driving. If it can be combined with a permanent orienteering course, all the better, as they also enjoy that, after I introduced them - even my mother wished we discovered that sport as children! Also, as I'm a biologist, they expect me to find them interesting lifeforms or geological features along the way. Thanks for any suggestions!

Hiya

There is one that springs to mind....Just to the west of Peterborough there is Hills and Holes. GCEA49 . It's set in a medieval quarry that is now run by English Nature. Both our 12 and 2 year olds loved walking up and down the paths. I know this is not a problem for you, but it is no use whatsoever for cachers with buggys, we took one look and left the buggy in the car!..

Amanda and Steve

Are those caches that were released for the East Anglia event still live... those "Beard" ones on the board walk?? They were in St Ives.

They were great fun, dead level and safe for kids. I really enjoyed those. They were a great walk, and something a little different.

Edited to add where they were!!

Edited by HazelS

Seeking suggestions for child friendly / appealing caches in Cambridgeshire, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

Not hardened East Anglian Cachers - kind of the opposite corner of the country to our usual stamping ground. However, on a recent trip to Norwich we stopped off at Swaffham and did Pedlars Gold, which was a short offset with the advantages of free parking and places to eat/drink with the kids! I think there are a couple of other around there, but we only had time for the one.

If you do it, make sure you arrive in time to get into the church, which closes at 4pm.

Norwich is awash with urban micros - not the most child friendly as there's no 'treasure' - so we didn't do any (added to the fact we only had a day & a half there!)