Suggestions for great kayaking/geocaching?

majormajor42

any suggestions for a nice trip? my GF bought me a weekend rental from EMS for two kayaks and the roof rack. Ideally there would be a geocache or two. I kind of like the idea of kayaking on a small lazy river, one where you can paddle back upstream instead of worrying about how to get back to the car. An out of the way type place would be nice too, I mean what is the point of driving there (Lake George or Cape Cod) with kayaks on the roof when I could have just rented the kayaks from the big tourist operation on-site. So far I'm thinking of GCWDJ1 Neener Neener Meaner Biner in the great swamp. There are some others but it doesn't look like there are any geocaches yet, such as the Walkill River in Northern NJ and Orange Cty, NY.

GC15VKF Bantam River Trail - Halcyon Days has quite a few other caches around it so that might be good.

I would say 3hrs drive from Metro NYC would be a good limit.

Both are great paddles. If you do either, let me know, and if possible we'll join you. I'm pretty sure the owner of that first cache would too. If you do the great swamp, make sure you keep your gps on, and you know how to follow the breadcrumb trail back. It's VERY easy to get lost in there without a gps. If you are looking to come to CT, we have TONS of caches meant to be done by kayak or canoe. Also, almost all our larger summer events (like GeoJamboree) include paddle caches. For sheer numbers check the area around Selden Neck State Park in Deep River, CT (06417). However, that will require some paddling on the Connecticut River with some insane boat traffic. It can also be a bit tough if you have to work against the tide or the wind is up.

If you want a nice easy bigger paddle in CT, go with the Bantam river. Great Swamp isnt a tough paddle either, but I recommend going with someone familiar with the area. If you really want to rack up the terrain 5 caches, look at Selden Neck or Lake Zoar.

Actually, since you have the yaks for the weekend, you might want to consider attending GeoJamboree in June. A weekend-long geocaching event held on the banks of Lake Zoar. Lots of fun, food, people, and caches, including quite a few you need a kayak to reach. Lots of CT cachers are also experienced paddlers, I'm sure plenty there would be willing to show you the ropes.

Actually, since you have the yaks for the weekend, you might want to consider attending GeoJamboree in June. A weekend-long geocaching event held on the banks of Lake Zoar. Lots of fun, food, people, and caches, including quite a few you need a kayak to reach. Lots of CT cachers are also experienced paddlers, I'm sure plenty there would be willing to show you the ropes.

good point. Too late to get a campsite but GF might not go for that anyway. I'll keep that in mind as May roles around. Thanks.

Split Rock Reservoir. Great place to paddle. Plenty of caches on and near the reservoir. The reservoir is almost 4 miles long and on a busy day there may be two dozen paddlers on the entire reservoir. No motor boats or jet skis.

You can easily make a day of paddling and caching on Split Rock.

Put in coordinates: N 40° 57.757 W 074° 27.525

Edited by briansnat

I second the vote for Geo Jamboree (duh, of course) But I would also recommend White Memorial State Park for lots of water caches. use This link for a central location then click on Nearest Caches and you will find a bunch of them. However, due to changes in their rules on geocaches many of them have been archived. Do a last minute chek on availability before leaving.

Check out the Bashakill (Wurtsboro - check spelling) and then there is Swinging Bridge Resevoir just east of that. Lots of places on the border of Orange/Sullivan Counties - although they are all good sized lakes. Being that you are renting I dont know what your skill level with Kayaks is - I have 2 kayaks, few canoes, am an alaska state survival instructor and 10 years in the US Coast Guard. If your skill lvl is not that high or it has been a while please stick to lakes (non-moving water) it is just as fun and safe safe safe. If you need any more info about the area let me know, I grew up here and just recently moved back - I love the outdoors and know the area very well.

Elvis

Kayak Rental Resource Link

Every year I bang this barrel loudly, but here it goes again. If you want to give kayaking a try in a relatively safe and unique environment. I suggest that you look into kayaking from Laurel Hill Park in Secaucus NJ, kayak rentals are available, so you need not concern yourself with issues of rental/racking/loading and unloading. The livery is right there near a launch. The trips take you into the Meadowlands where flocks of birds astound you.

There are a number of land based caches in the vicinity --Not an overwhelming number but some.

There are many fine places for lunch and it is close to NYC.

I know some of the people I have met through Gecocaching have extremely diverse patterns of activity in addition to their geocaching. This is just one more means to enjoy the outdoors.

Edited by Packanack

Thanks Packanack. I recently did some of the caches that are further up the Hackensack river by the Rt. 4 and the Riverside Square Mall. I did not have or need a boat for them but I imagined that the river must make for a nice waterborne excursion. The Hackensack River starts close to where I live and ends near the place you mentioned. So even though there aren't a lot of boat caches down there, it still looks like a nice trip.

How far from the launch do they let you row with their boats?

Here is a view of Split Rock Reservoir, with caches. Many caches are right on the water and some are a short hike; anywhere from a couple of minutes to 20 minutes or so.

Ohhhh, I like maps! :mad:

And here is Selden Island. There are no bridges to Selden so access is boat only. Oh, and there is primitive camping on the island as well. Think it was $1.50 a person last time we camped there. There are enough caches that you could very well make an overnight of it.

killmeeh1.jpg

Here's Bantam River. I didn't include most of Bantam Lake 'cause it was too big and most of the shoreline is private property (no caches)

killmemz1.jpg

Finally we have Kettletown/Lake Zoar/GeoJamboree. I'm guessing by the time June rolls around there will be even more caches; both land and water-based.

killmejx6.jpg

All 3 make a good weekend destination IMNHO, and since you have the gear rented for the whole weekend, why not use it?