Member only cache -> Public cache

Dash-2

I've noticed a lot of people just do Members Only for FTF or for the first few days of a new cache, and then change it.

Why?

Not objecting, just wondering why someone wouldn't want all to see their cache(s). weren't we all regular members at one time?

Some people see it as a way to encourage others to become premium members.

And some like to watch the FTF race unfold. Others like to look at the audit log and see who has been back to the page over & over again. In some places it is seen as part of the defence against cache maggots. Some do it just because they can.

If you want to make it member only go for it. You can change it back at any time.

cache maggots.

If you want to make it member only go for it. You can change it back at any time.

<_<

I've noticed that you come up with some real funny descriptions from time to time :unsure:

Makes me smile even though I might not really know the full definition .... but I can imagine! :D

GeoLex is your friend!

Maggots – Another term for a cache Pirates.

Pirates – A short-lived phenomenon where rogue geocachers would steal caches, and then either: a) destroy the cache; b ) hold it for ransom; or c) move it to another location, leaving only a note behind with the new location. A number of minor variations were also used. A late attempt was made by some pirates to legitimize the activity, by making it an opt-in, non-destructive activity. But by that time, pirates had generated so much ill-will among mainstream geocachers (which still exists) that they were drummed out of the sport.

edit - fix the forum smiley from a b

Edited by KoosKoos

cache maggots.

<_<

I've noticed that you come up with some real funny descriptions from time to time :unsure:

Makes me smile even though I might not really know the full definition .... but I can imagine! :D

I can't take the credit for that. I stole it here on the forums. It is generally used to describe a thief. Usually in an area where caches have been stolen in large numbers. Fortunately these maggots tend to loose interest quickly. I know of one area though that has had a cache maggot for a couple of years.

I can't take the credit for that. I stole it here on the forums. It is generally used to describe a thief. Usually in an area where caches have been stolen in large numbers. Fortunately these maggots tend to loose interest quickly. I know of one area though that has had a cache maggot for a couple of years.

I understand at one time (before I started hiding caches), there was one in my area. I think the original plan was for someone to hide a cache, and wait - then beat the crap out of him. He would leave a note and take the whole box. Thankfully he got bored with it before the stakeout began.