Muggles

AKelvis

What is the best thing to do when a muggle see's you so they dont ask questions or I dont look suspicious?

standard and easiest geocacher disguise......

put your GPS unit to your ear. Laugh and talk. Pretend its a cell phone, and wander *presumably* aimlessly while talking and kicking rocks.

standard and easiest geocacher disguise......

put your GPS unit to your ear. Laugh and talk. Pretend its a cell phone, and wander *presumably* aimlessly while talking and kicking rocks.

variation on that theme, wear a bluetooth cellphone ear-thing (Lt Uhuru?), then you can walk around with the cell-er-gps in your hand in front of you, while having a conversation with thin air. <_<

Today I took a copy of Terry Pratchett's "Men-at-Arms" with me. I figured that if there were muggles around, I could explain my loitering by finding a place to sit and read. The bonus is that I don't have to pretend to be enjoying what I'm reading. The disadvantage is that I could easily forget why I was there in the first place, reading that book. ; )

I've done the cellphone-as-phone before, too.

My only problem with muggles is I fear them wanting to nab the cache as soon as I leave (people often steal just for the sake of taking something so I worry about micros also) but since I'm a photographer I have an easy solution, pull out my camera and start snapping pictures (if there is anything vaguely pretty around).

Yesterday we were caching on a very busy wooded trail, I was wearing my photography tshirt and snapped pictures of the nearby stream and such.

If it's a more city setting say that you think you lost something. Maybe I can't find my sunglasses anywhere, or I hear a sound like something hit the ground and I'm wondering if theres a hole in my pocket and something dropped through, etc.

I just about got caught today, multiple times. I held my ear, looking around as if I lost an earring, then later "answered" my gps.... walking in circles!! What's sad, no one offered to help me find my earring ;) , other option, wandering around waiting for "your friend" to meet you(if it's urban of course), wouldn't help much if you're in the back woods....

I used to care about this sort of thing, but anymore I find that people just aren't that interested in what you are doing. Just recently, I found a cache at a rest stop on the interstate (say what you will about park 'n grabs, they break up the monotony of a long road trip). It was on a guardrail right at the onramp to the rest area, crawling with people. I went right to it, signed the log, replaced it, and nobody even looked in my direction.

Unless you are in a suspicious area, or acting suspiciously, you are very unlikely to draw unwanted attention. Most people have their own things to do.

geocachers definately over rate the idea of muggles.

If you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about.

That's what I think too. I'm amazed at all the things people do to keep muggles from noticing them. If a muggle sees you and asks you what you are doing, just tell them about Geocaching. They might even be interested.

I take my camera with me just about wherever I go. On many occasions in the urban setting I have found that if I am just doing the amateur photographer thing people just accept it.

For the most part if you are not acting like you should not be there nobody will think that you should not be there.

I have found that a full Gilly Suit usually does the trick. Three elements at work here 1.) Complete stealth 2.) Element of suprise 3) 50 caliber sniper rifle=show of force. However I prefer full contact caching!

Children might ask their parents, "What is that shaggy dog doing over there??" And the parents would respond by running away quickly. :P

I have found that a full Gilly Suit usually does the trick. Three elements at work here 1.) Complete stealth 2.) Element of suprise 3) 50 caliber sniper rifle=show of force. However I prefer full contact caching!

I tried this very same approach last year when I got started. But for some reason, people seemed to be looking at me MORE, as I made those Walmart and Lamppost cache grabs. :lol:

Pick up trash. People will ignore you like you had the plague. I assume this is a guilt response. Works wonderfully and is often available in muggle rich environments....

I do that as a matter of routine whenever I do maintenance on one of my caches which is in a park. There's usually plenty of trash that needs to be picked up anyway so I get to do a good deed while waiting for muggles to drift away from my cache. If that doesn't work then you might try walking around with a cooked piece of spaghetti danging out of your mouth while ranting like the crazy Cat Lady on the Simpsons.