Where can I find the best deal on a Garmin Colorado 400t?

GPS Now had the best price on the 300, it was in stock and shipped the next day. Their return policy is rather restrictive compared to other places though.

Just avoid the nnND St. Photo places and deals that seem way to good to be true. Many horror stories about these places with brand new model cameras advertised at way low prices. If they can't upsell you with several $100 in accessories and extended warranties the item is mysteriously out of stock.

I'm close to buying this device. If I can get a really good price I could pull the trigger on it! ;)

Any suggestions?

I've been waiting to pull the trigger, too. Waiting for a possible price reduction by Garmin, and for another firmware update (to fix the problems and add some missing features).

When the time comes, what I was planning on doing was buying it from REI. At REI, they sell at the "list price" ($500 for a 300, and $600 for a 400t). However, if you are a member ($20 lifetime fee), you get approximately 10% back (they call it a "dividend", I believe), plus an additional 5% off if you use an REI Visa. And right now, they have this deal where if you sign up for their Visa, they give you a $20 gift card. Last month, it was even better -- they were giving a $40 gift card for signing up for Visa.

Anyway, for a 300, you can get $75 off (15%), so that will be $425 net. Likewise, you can get the 400t for $510. Then, on top of that, you can apply your gift card (another $20 or $40, depending on when you signed up).

I've seen similar prices offered by some places on the internet, but unless they can give me a significant discount from the REI price, I think I will stick with REI, because there are a couple of their stores near me, and my understanding is that they have a good return policy. And from the many stories I've been hearing on this forum, it sounds like there's a good possibility that I may have to exchange the unit if I get a defective one (internal clock problem, short battery life, etc.).

Regards,

George

The last poster didn't tell you about the "reason" you would buy from REI, vs anoother retailer:

After your purchase, if for ANY reason, you are no longer happy with the unit, you can return it for a Full Refund.

ANY reason, as in too stupid to operate the unit? I get the impression this may account for a lot of their returns. I have a low-tech friend who returns many high-tech items because they "don't work".

I'm close to buying this device. If I can get a really good price I could pull the trigger on it! :grin:

Any suggestions?

I've been waiting to pull the trigger, too. Waiting for a possible price reduction by Garmin, and for another firmware update (to fix the problems and add some missing features).

When the time comes, what I was planning on doing was buying it from REI. At REI, they sell at the "list price" ($500 for a 300, and $600 for a 400t). However, if you are a member ($20 lifetime fee), you get approximately 10% back (they call it a "dividend", I believe), plus an additional 5% off if you use an REI Visa. And right now, they have this deal where if you sign up for their Visa, they give you a $20 gift card. Last month, it was even better -- they were giving a $40 gift card for signing up for Visa.

Anyway, for a 300, you can get $75 off (15%), so that will be $425 net. Likewise, you can get the 400t for $510. Then, on top of that, you can apply your gift card (another $20 or $40, depending on when you signed up).

I've seen similar prices offered by some places on the internet, but unless they can give me a significant discount from the REI price, I think I will stick with REI, because there are a couple of their stores near me, and my understanding is that they have a good return policy. And from the many stories I've been hearing on this forum, it sounds like there's a good possibility that I may have to exchange the unit if I get a defective one (internal clock problem, short battery life, etc.).

Regards,

George

Actually what REALLY sucks is that REI had a coupon for 20% off that expired on 03/31. I of course decided that I wanted a 400t shortly after that expiration.

GRRR ;)

The last poster didn't tell you about the "reason" you would buy from REI, vs anoother retailer:

After your purchase, if for ANY reason, you are no longer happy with the unit, you can return it for a Full Refund.

ANY reason, as in too stupid to operate the unit? I get the impression this may account for a lot of their returns. I have a low-tech friend who returns many high-tech items because they "don't work".

REI always excludes GPS units from the 20% off.

I found the site for the $479 price but it does not say if it is refurbished or new.. Does anyone know,becuse i just want to know before i order it...

where did you find it? It would help people be able to let you know if they are reputable or not if they know the name of the place.

This is exactly right. If you do careful research and you know what you are doing there is no reason to pay more. Garmin has a warranty if anything goes wrong in the first year.

LOL

I know this will start a fire, but here it goes anyway...

I do like REI alot and shop there from time to time, but their prices are always high in my opioin..I prsonaly dont think the REI club, or whatever its called is worth it becuse i dont see any savings. becuse its still more to me than other places .I do know alot of plp that are die hard REI customers and thats fine and dandy, but i do not have a unlimited budget for the bragging rights to say, " i bought it at REI", so i do have to shop around for the best price out there...

I haven't heard of the lowest price place, but they have an 800 number to contact them. Call em up, ask a few questions. Double check the return policy (they do not list GPSr in there stated policy, but note that it looks like MANY things are ASF!) If you get any vibes go somewhere else.

I can't say I haven't bought stuff from small time shops and took a chance. If they don't send it, you can always cancel and re-credit your card or paypal....... but is the 30 bucks you are saving WORTH the potential troubles? You have to decide for yourself.

I TOO didn't think the REI thing was for me... but I tell you...for return policy ALONE I would buy my 400t there. the 10% back doesn't seem like much, but every bit adds up. I have seen people BUY their Colorados with the credit form 2007.....and they are not BIG TIME outdoor people. that 10% just adds up. I just wish there was one around here.

LOL

I do like REI alot and shop there from time to time, but their prices are always high in my opioin..I prsonaly dont think the REI club, or whatever its called is worth it becuse i dont see any savings. becuse its still more to me than other places .I do know alot of plp that are die hard REI customers and thats fine and dandy, but i do not have a unlimited budget for the bragging rights to say, " i bought it at REI", so i do have to shop around for the best price out there...

So do a lot of us. I don't like throwing money away especially if I can get a much better deal at another place! :P

LOL

Well, I think REI is a pretty good store, but I'm not an REI "fanboy" or anything... :D

I find that they sell a lot of high quality stuff, and stuff that's hard to find elsewhere (except online of course). Their prices are a bit higher than some of the best places on the internet, but like I said, with the 15% off that you can get on all non-sale items, then the prices are pretty reasonable. As I mentioned, you can get the Colorado 300 for $425 and the 400t for $510. Perhaps not the absolute lowest price if you shop around, but certainly a very competitive price. Also, I like shopping at their stores because their personnel actually know the products that they're selling! :P The clerks seem to mostly be hikers, bicyclers, outdoorsmen, etc. or whatever is appropriate for the particular department they're working in -- not just some high school kid working part-time or something. When I visited last time, the guy there showed me some of the features of the Colorado, answered my questions, and let me mess around with it for awhile, and even let me take it outside so that it could acquire some satellites and so that I could see how the display looked in sunlight.

So for me, the bottom line is that their prices are reasonable after the 15% discount, their service and selection are much better than average, and since it's a "brick and mortar" place, I can actually see and try out stuff before I buy. I don't shop there often, but for specialty items (like for hiking), they are the first place I visit.

I just ordered mine from GPSNow. As of yesterday, they had just received a shipment of 20 and are selling them for $506.79. Although I added overnight shipping for $13.52, they do offer free shipping. The units that they have in stock have the SN starting with 18xxx, so hopefully they have the full 4GB of internal memory and not the 3GB that others have reported with some of the others.

It's the 13th and almost the 14th. He must be out playing with his new toy.

As for as the comments about REI:

- There is no 20% off allowed on GPS units. You didn't miss anything.

- I paid $600 for my 400t on January 23rd. The unit wasn't available from anyone else for at least two weeks following that. When it was available, everyone INCLUDING walmart.com was setting it for $600 (plus or minus one penny.) One year later, I will be getting a credit for $48 - $60 due to my purchase. In my book, this constitutes a lower price at REI.

- REI is the only place I am aware of that has a 100%, no quibble return policy.

- And yes, I have a feeling that many, many Colorado buyers are a little low on the learning curve. (Censors: Was I nice enough with that comment or will I be spanked again?)

I think that it's ironic that this is such a high-tech game, yet so may low-techs are busy playing the game. Don't get me wrong, EVERYONE has a right to play and enjoy geocaching, but so many have "technical difficulties" and several have trouble with rather low tech things.

As an example: I find it interesting that a PhD cacher I know, who has years and years of caching experience, still places caches with logbooks inside food storage bags. First, Zip Lock food storage bags are much more expensive than ones suited for caching. Second, these same bags are thinner than the ones suited for caching. Third, they are much, much larger for most geocaching applications and once folded, rarely close properly. I've beaten my head over and over trying to tell intelligent people this. No one listens.