Nuvi 760 Crashing when started inside Tourguide POI range

Do any other 7 series Nuvi owners suffer from this problem?

If so, would you perhaps copy and paste this email to garmin to help us get it sorted. Thanks!

The Garmin support page for sending this is: ->HERE<-

Also drop a line here if you have any suggests as to a fix incase Garmin don't do it for us!

I have a TourGuide_geocache.gpx file with an associated TourGuide_geocache.bmp and a TourGuide_geocache.mp3 file in a folder on my PC.

I use POILoader (currently 2.4.2) to send these to my Nuvi 760, and I use the Manual mode to set a proximity distance to 1400 metres. The transfer is successful.

If I turn my Nuvi on, and I am within 1400 metres of one of the TourGuidePOIs in the TourGuide file, as soon as I press the "View Map" button, the Nuvi will crash/freeze. It then requires me to switch it off and and back on before I can use it again. If I am still within the range of a POI it will crash again.

This only happens with the TOURGUIDE POIs, it does NOT happen with a normal custom POI that has proximity alerts set on it.

If I turn the nuvi on and I am OUTSIDE the proximity distance of a POI, the nuvi is fine. As I move towards a POI, and cross the proximity line, I get my MP3 playing and an alert on the screen. Exactly as requested.

I've found the only way to get around the machine crashing if you are caught inside the range of a TourGuide POI, is to switch it on, (type in your pin if set) click agree and click View Map as fast as your fingers will allow before it has time to calculate that you are within the distance to a TOURGUIDE POI. Then you can normally use the nuvi as normal. However even this is not perfect as it does still freeze very regularly.

Would you please look into this at your earliest convenience, I would love to be able to use this feature reliably!

Here is hoping for a swift firmware release!

Many thanks.

Actually I've discovered that at least on MY nuvi this problem is even more severe.

If I have ANY type of alert set, eg speed/prox custom POI and the alert appears on the screen whilst driving, if I attempt to route to a new destination the nuvi will crash.

Eg. Say you have a standard alert for starbucks, set at say 800metres. Set up a simulation that will drive pass that starbucks and set off the Alert.

When you get the two "dings" and the alert bar on the screen, quickly go into the nuvi, WHERE TO -> and pick ANYTHING. Hit GO and set as new destination.

If you did that before the alert bar is off the screen the nuvi 760 crashes!

Would someone else confirm this for me. I can repeat it every single time.

Nuvi 760, firmware 2.70.

Happens for Tourguide alerts, custom alerts etc.

Thank you.

Yup. I have exactly the same problem with my Nuvi 760.

Actually I've discovered that at least on MY nuvi this problem is even more severe.

If I have ANY type of alert set, eg speed/prox custom POI and the alert appears on the screen whilst driving, if I attempt to route to a new destination the nuvi will crash.

Eg. Say you have a standard alert for starbucks, set at say 800metres. Set up a simulation that will drive pass that starbucks and set off the Alert.

When you get the two "dings" and the alert bar on the screen, quickly go into the nuvi, WHERE TO -> and pick ANYTHING. Hit GO and set as new destination.

If you did that before the alert bar is off the screen the nuvi 760 crashes!

Would someone else confirm this for me. I can repeat it every single time.

Nuvi 760, firmware 2.70.

Happens for Tourguide alerts, custom alerts etc.

Thank you.

I have also noticed that, but have only had the 760 a few days and was using a home made TourGuide file so had not yet determined where the problem really was.

In my case I'm also missing the jpg attached to the POI. Has anyone else experienced that, or is it perhaps a formatting problem with my file. The file works fine on a 660 and the jpg show fine there.

I'll keep this brief as I suppose it's off topic here (sorry).

Would you guys (gals?) be kind enough to email garmin about this as well. In your email, you can quote my ticket number to help steer them in the correct direction in explaining the problem, and also showing that this is an actual bug and not just 1 unit...

Quote this:

Re: Nuvi freezes when switched on whilst inside Tourguide POI proximity. (KMM2970113I10971L0KM)

Thanks alot! The best email address to use I found was techsupp@garmin.com

Address it to Becky, she has tested this herself and knows the problem. Thanks!

And another one ... Mine displays the map ok if I start it within the radius of a tourguide alert, but turns off as soon as I ask it to calculate a route within the proximity radius of any POI including speed cameras.

Thanks for the ticket number Pilotsnipes :blink:

Cheers

Gary

I just got a new 760 (after being ripped off on the online purchase of a 660) and was happy to see the multirouting capabilities. However, I did not know about this crash problem until I had already bought the 760.

Tonight, I went to a couple of nearby caches stored as TourGuide and can confirm the crash problem.

I sent an email to Garmin tech support, attention Becky. I hope that they are giving this bug high priority and will figure out and supply an update to fix this problem ASAP.

Ooooh, I got a reply from Garmin. The solution to my problem ? Update to the latest firmware ! It would have been a most practical suggestion except for one small detail - the problem still existed in the latest firmware. Fortunately they included a link to a questionairre asking what I thought of their support. Well, they did ask ...

I get the distinct impression I only got a reply at all because the job ticket (36515240) had been open for so long that a firmware update was issued which meant your support people could tell me to update my firmware and flag the job as dealt with. Now that I've helped with your support ticket clearance figures maybe we can get on with fixing the problem with my and everyone elses nuvis ?

Gary