Quakemap, photos

I have been playing with quakemap and my digital camera, here is my problem. Although I marked a waypoint and took a picture of the area, quakemap cannot relate the two to each other. Both the camera and my GPSr are set at the same time, within a few minutes anyway.

Any ideas to make this work?

I have been playing with quakemap and my digital camera, here is my problem. Although I marked a waypoint and took a picture of the area, quakemap cannot relate the two to each other. Both the camera and my GPSr are set at the same time, within a few minutes anyway.

I'm not familiar with quakemap, but you may need to use an external program to correlate the photo timestamps with a location using your tracklog. It will then write the coordinates into the file header of each photo. I've heard good things about gPicSync. There are others, too.

I'm gonna second the recommendation for gpicsync. I use it all the time with my track logs; it is amazing. http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

Funny you should mention it, I just downloaded gpicsync, made a quick drive around town, took a few pics, voila! worked wonderfully, with one exception one image was in teh wrong place about a block away, but I fixed that in Google Earth, sweet app!

Make it a habit to sync your camera's time to your GPSr before taking photos each day. That way they will be stamped very close to the actual spot. Be sure to set your track frequency in your GPSr. You may want to change the frequency in time or distance depending on length of trip, and hiking vs drive trip with quick stops for photos. On Magellans, for example, "Auto Detailed" usually works well, since it puts a track point at stops and changes of direction.

If you are creating a KMZ file for sending to someone, you may want to decrease the size of the photos before creating the file. Otherwise the KMZ file will be the size of the sum of all the photos. Microsoft Image resizer Powertoy will let you highlight them all and do a quick resize.

Another great tool is ClaudeGPS2KML. It will create your track for Google Earth showing arrows with the direction of your trip, embed photos, and give you some graphs of things like elevation profile.

Edited by EScout

The QuakeMap support page allows you to submit your question to the software author...

He has answered every question I have had...

Well I have an old Meridian gps that doesn't, appear to have the track frequency option, but I can tel you on a 100 mile trip there has been over 250 track points, fewer would be better, but since I can't change it I am not going to worry about it. I just downloaded ClaudeGPS2KML, will see how it works.

Thanks for all the replies, there will be other questions I am sure.

Ryan

Well I have an old Meridian gps that doesn't, appear to have the track frequency option, but I can tel you on a 100 mile trip there has been over 250 track points, fewer would be better, but since I can't change it I am not going to worry about it. I just downloaded ClaudeGPS2KML, will see how it works.

Thanks for all the replies, there will be other questions I am sure.

Ryan

On your Meridian, go to the map page. Press Menu button, then Map Setup press Enter button, and you will see Track Mode.

Another option when you got into Menu from the map page, is Clear Track. You do this at the start of your day/trip. To save your track at the end, press Menu, Card Utilities, Save Track and name it and it will be on your SD card.

Ok thanks I will try it today, hey that reminds me of a problem I have had, when I save tracks and waypoints on the card (a 32mB sandisk) and upload them, I have recently had a problem, the tracks transfer fine into GPS babel, no problem there.

But it appears that the waypoints don't get saved on the card and of course then after running the data through GPS babel I don't have squat for waypoints. It used to work great.

The com port data cable transfer works fine, but after a long trip it is incredibly slow.

I went back and forth with Robert Lipe the other day, and he had no ideas what was going on. I was thinking bad card, so yesterday I ran a sd card utility on the card and did a complete format, and erased everything, I haven't tried the card yet anybody else had this problem?