Dog chewed GPSMAP 60csx

So this is my first post. I have been lurking for a little bit and wanted to get the hang of things and learn as much as I can. So I am asking for opinions on what to do. Tonight I came home and found that my <1 year old dog got a hold of my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx. He did a doozy on it. Teeth marks everywhere, the screen is shattered, the rubber on the top is torn. It is still functional and the lcd screen underneath the hard plastic screen is relatively untouched. So needless to say it is not water resistant anymore and not functional in a rugged setting. What can I do?

And please no wise cracks about the dog....the wife just read this before my post and she said you can put them in. LOL

Matt

So this is my first post. I have been lurking for a little bit and wanted to get the hang of things and learn as much as I can. So I am asking for opinions on what to do. Tonight I came home and found that my <1 year old dog got a hold of my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx. He did a doozy on it. Teeth marks everywhere, the screen is shattered, the rubber on the top is torn. It is still functional and the lcd screen underneath the hard plastic screen is relatively untouched. So needless to say it is not water resistant anymore and not functional in a rugged setting. What can I do?

And please no wise cracks about the dog....the wife just read this before my post and she said you can put them in. LOL

Matt

I have no personal experience, but I think that you can send it to Garmin and they will replace the broken parts for a fee. You should ask someone who knows for sure...

<snip> So I am asking for opinions on what to do. Tonight I came home and found that my <1 year old dog got a hold of my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx. He did a doozy on it. Teeth marks everywhere, the screen is shattered, the rubber on the top is torn. It is still functional and the lcd screen underneath the hard plastic screen is relatively untouched. So needless to say it is not water resistant anymore and not functional in a rugged setting. What can I do?

Matt

Tabasco sauce . . . applied to things that you don't want chewed, . . . not on the dog!

Norm

Matt

I would say you need a new dog, but you've already got one of those. :) What you really need is an old(er) dog. Don't worry. After another year or so (!) he won't chew much stuff anymore.

My dog did that to my old eTrex Legend. Fortunately I caught him before he got too far. Made a great excuse for buying the 60CS. (the old Legend still works mind you, he just destroyed the rubber band around the outside, and made a little scratch on the screen)

With my beat up units I have sent to Garmin they have been very helpful.

My first trip to service was due to the fact the unit would not sync up to my computer anymore. It was under warranty and Garmin just sent me a new unit once reviewing the one I sent them.

Next, after my warranty ran out, I demolished the cover to the LCD screen. I called to see if I could just get a screen cover replacement and they told me to send the unit in. I was not wanting to spend more to repair the unit that it was worth. I asked them if I could put a limit on it and they said they have preset limits for all the devices. If your repair goes over the preset limit they will just replace your unit for the limit cost.

By the way, each unit Garmin services has a deferent limit for repair.

Hope this give you a heads up.... Can your dog sit down yet?

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

Lets go Caching

Since the Colorado was released, the cost of repair for the GPSmap 60 CSx has been reduced from $175 to $150. Regardless of whether your unit is or is not under warranty, abuse (this is definitely abuse) is not covered.

Send in the unit. They will replace the entire case, display lens and all, and will also test the unit for proper function (depending on what they find inside the damaged case.)

You'll get a new back, new key covers, and a new antenna cover.

I don't believe Garmin will take more than a couple of weeks to perform the repairs.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

Thank you everyone for the info. Called Garmin and they said that the dog voided the warranty, that figures. But the good news is that they can fix it for $150 and then I will still have 9 months left on the original. They said it will take a few weeks. Oh well, its better then having to purchase a new one!