European Taxes on coins

avroair

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while now, and I am not sure how it can be solved. So I am looking for some feedback. When I (we in America) buy coins from Europe, there is a value added tax (VAT) of 19% already including in the coins cost. The problem is that we are exempt from this tax and shouldn't have to pay it. One site automatically removes the VAT, but the others don't so we end up paying almost 20% more than we should. On a 100 euro order that's 20 euros (or about $31.00 extra). I have contacted various websites about this matter, but nothing has come of it ~ they politely brush me aside.

Anyone have any suggestions? (other than, don't buy European coins! :o )

This is a sore spot with me also.

I have contacted the site I purchased from this morning and I am hopeful that I will receive a refund for the VAT paid once she consults with her accountant.

The other site, I have chosen to simply trade for the coins I want from it since both the shipping charges and the VAT charges make the coins double the cost they should be. When contacted, this seller refused to remove the VAT for US bound orders.

There are others like KK's site and coins sold by Ernies that do not charge us the VAT as well.

... because here in Oregon we have no sales tax at all, so it comes as quite a shock...

Now i'm shocked. Should i move to Oregon :D:D:o

When i order from Europe i had to pay VAT, that´s called IVA in Portugal (which is included in the price) , and i had to pay it when i Buy from foreign shops, specially american on-line shops.

Here we are taxed (sometimes when customs selects our packages to inspection) with 21% extra on the geocoins :D (by teh way we should stop calling these "game tokens" geo"coins", that makes every bell inside customs rang :o

PL

... because here in Oregon we have no sales tax at all, so it comes as quite a shock...

Now i'm shocked. Should i move to Oregon :D:D:o

When i order from Europe i had to pay VAT, that´s called IVA in Portugal (which is included in the price) , and i had to pay it when i Buy from foreign shops, specially american on-line shops.

Here we are taxed (sometimes when customs selects our packages to inspection) with 21% extra on the geocoins :D (by teh way we should stop calling these "game tokens" geo"coins", that makes every bell inside customs rang :o

PL

Its the same here, we pay 25 %. On everything above 35 us dollar....

I have contacted the site I purchased from this morning and I am hopeful that I will receive a refund for the VAT paid once she consults with her accountant.

The other site, I have chosen to simply trade for the coins I want from it since both the shipping charges and the VAT charges make the coins double the cost they should be. When contacted, this seller refused to remove the VAT for US bound orders.

There are others like KK's site and coins sold by Ernies that do not charge us the VAT as well.

Let me know if you have any luck.

Hi Guys,

Not sure what country you are dealing in but i can give a view from the Irish Tax Office.

For a little history until 8 months ago i was working in Tourism in Dublin and had the pleasure of meeting many very nice American Tourists.

You are quite correct in stating that you are exempt from paying the tax however it is your responsibility to reclaim the tax and not the retailers...

Many of the larger high street retailers in the city's can take it off at source however if they don't you need to fill in a form and submit your reciepts at the airport when leaving.

My understanding is that this is the arrangement in all EU Countries.

Let me know what country the retailers in question are in and i will check with the local tax offices and see if i can get the forms for you.

Sorry to be the bearer of extra paperwork..

Ljay

When i order from Europe i had to pay VAT, that´s called IVA in Portugal (which is included in the price) , and i had to pay it when i Buy from foreign shops, specially american on-line shops. Here we are taxed (sometimes when customs selects our packages to inspection) with 21% extra on the geocoins :)

PL

That's apples and oranges.

I am not talking about import or customs taxes, which all countries may or may not charge depending on the package. I accept that I may have to pay that.

I am talking about VAT or sales tax... it would be the same as me charging everyone 8.25% New Jersey sales tax regardless of where the coins were being purchased.

Bottom line is, it's illegal... it's fraud.

I have bought 800 euros worth of coins from Europe since the start of the year (about 110 coins in total)... 19% of that is 152 euros or $235.00 in taxes I shouldn't have to pay :D

....Bottom line is, it's illegal... it's fraud....

It's annoying but I doubt it's any more illegal than a Washington resident paying Idaho sales tax on a car. The larger dealers may know how to drop the tax. The smaller ones won't know much and it would then be up to you to do the paperwork on your own, much like ljay points out. When you do that though Washington law would likely reqire you to pay any Washington tax. Meaning on your coins to claim the VAT you would end up paying your state tax or some such complicated thing.

I once audited a tax class. It was so much fun that I didn't bother taking any tests and quit showing up. That audit thing sure is handy to learn what you really want to avoid in school.

By my estimates, I have paid about $120 in 2007 for VAT I shouldn't have had to pay. Since we are not traveling to these online shops, there is no way to reclaim it. The retailers need to NOT charge VAT to countries that are exempt, period.

Edited by AtlantaGal

When i order from Europe i had to pay VAT, that´s called IVA in Portugal (which is included in the price) , and i had to pay it when i Buy from foreign shops, specially american on-line shops. Here we are taxed (sometimes when customs selects our packages to inspection) with 21% extra on the geocoins :)

PL

I am not talking about import or customs taxes, which all countries may or may not charge depending on the package. I accept that I may have to pay that.

I am talking about VAT or sales tax...

Me either avroair. Those 21% here are due for sales tax. I didn't tell you about customs taxes. those are cheaper but they do exist.

PL

I am talking about VAT or sales tax...

Me either avroair. Those 21% here are due for sales tax. I didn't tell you about customs taxes. those are cheaper but they do exist.

The 25% in Norway is also VAT, not customs taxes..

Just a quick reply to this topic as we have operated a number of online retailing operations........Orders outside of the EEC should NOT be charged any VAT / IVA / Sales Tax in any way, and as we are about to launch a geocoin site I can assure you that any purchases made outside of the EEC will not be charged any taxes.

I am sorry to hear that some of you have paid taxes that you really should not have had to.

I believe that I probably purchased from the same site this morning. In reviewing my receipt, I don't see the VAT listed and it appears that the coins (when listed in US Funds) are a little cheaper than indicated on the website. I DID notice that the TOTAL was about $10.00 less than the ACTUAL TOTAL showing on my Paypal Account! Sometimes I feel that I'm being Baffled by B.S. just to confuse my poor little brain! :)

I'm very pleased to report that the VAT charged to me through an online purchase yesterday morning has been refunded into my PayPal account. I was also told that the cart system on this website has been altered to no longer charge VAT on orders being shipped to certain countries.

Yay!

specially american on-line shops.

I can't imagine what American stores are charging you... all we have is sales tax in most states and that is only charged if you reside (live) in the same state.

I think some people are confusing "duty" with VAT. There's a difference and "duty" isn't controlled by the vendors, I beleive it's controlled by customs when merchandise is valued above a certain amount.

Edited by AtlantaGal

A little known and often ignored fact here in Canada and the US: If you purchase an item out of State/Province, you only pay the tax at time of purchase if the store has a physical presence in the State/Province you reside in.

Now here's the little known bit: If you don't pay tax at the time of purchase, you are required by law to inform your home State/Province of the purchase and pay your local tax rate on that purchase! This is called a 'use tax', and specifically applies to items purchased while travelling, through mail order, or through telephone/internet commerce.

I'm very pleased to report that the VAT charged to me through an online purchase yesterday morning has been refunded into my PayPal account. I was also told that the cart system on this website has been altered to no longer charge VAT on orders being shipped to certain countries.

Yay!

Yep - same here. Isn't it nice to see that kind of customer service? :lol:

Yay!

Yep - same here. Isn't it nice to see that kind of customer service? :wub:

ALL Right! :lol::wub:

Here is the reply that I got from a geocoin shop that I have done over $1000 business with this year alone and over $2000 with since last Fall.

"Hello Randy,

thank you very much for your email. Unfortunately we have to charge 19% VAT also for orders outside of the EU. The reason for that is, that we do not have any receipt, that our products were shipped outside of the European Union. If we had this receipt we wouldn’t have to charge it, but it is very expensive to ship with this receipt.

Please let us know if you have any questions."

My reply was very business like and cordial, but I hope they get the idea that the way they are doing business is not correct and they should seriously look at it. I also questioned how a Ship to, Invoice and Paypal receipt showing the payment from the US could not be a valid to receipt showing shipping to the US.

I am not a very happy camper with them right now. :lol:

Here is the reply that I got from a geocoin shop that I have done over $1000 business with this year alone and over $2000 with since last Fall.

"Hello Randy,

thank you very much for your email. Unfortunately we have to charge 19% VAT also for orders outside of the EU. The reason for that is, that we do not have any receipt, that our products were shipped outside of the European Union. If we had this receipt we wouldn’t have to charge it, but it is very expensive to ship with this receipt.

My reply was very business like and cordial, but I hope they get the idea that the way they are doing business is not correct and they should seriously look at it. I also questioned how a Ship to, Invoice and Paypal receipt showing the payment from the US could not be a valid to receipt showing shipping to the US.

I am not a very happy camper with them right now. :wub:

I don't buy their reasoning. If mygeocoin.de could make it right within 24 hours of being notified of the problem, then that tells you everything.

I'd probably send them another email telling them that you will no longer be doing business with them because of their inane policy. (I might also mention that you will be letting other overseas purchasers in on their little scam as well.)(Maybe not using those exact words - LoL) :lol:

"Hello Randy,

I am not a very happy camper with them right now. :wub:

I don't buy their reasoning. If mygeocoin.de could make it right within 24 hours of being notified of the problem, then that tells you everything.

I'd probably send them another email telling them that you will no longer be doing business with them because of their inane policy. (I might also mention that you will be letting other overseas purchasers in on their little scam as well.)(Maybe not using those exact words - LoL) :lol:

I tried not to be threatening and left the door open for them to make things right. I also pointed them to this thread and said that their name had not been mentioned per se, but it was being spoken behind the scenes. Maybe if they see how many people are viewing this thread, they will realize this is not very good PR for them.

Edited by rsfish1

Yay!

Yep - same here. Isn't it nice to see that kind of customer service? :lol:

Email sent- Heres hoping I get the same response! :wub:

I know what store you're talking about. In fact, why not just name names at this point since they're the only international geocoin seller that is still charging us VAT - it's geocoinshop.de.

Now, I as well as avroair have tried to get VAT refunded from this entity time and time again. Lars basically doesn't care. Yes, the paypal receipt and receipt of shipment should be more than good enough to verify that the goods were sold to and sent outside the VAT required area.

It's basically sheer accounting laziness. It's too much trouble for the accountant to handle the businesses records, therefore just charge it to everyone. I stopped doing business with them as a result and now trade for any coin I want from their store. I estimate that this store owes me at least $110 US refund in VAT I paid for 2007. It may even be more.

It's too bad Germany doesn't have the equivilent of the Better Business Bureau.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I know what store you're talking about. In fact, why not just name names at this point since they're the only international geocoin seller that is still charging us VAT - it's geocoinshop.de.

Huh - I just signed up at their site earlier this week with the plan to place an order for a few coins I wanted to purchase once my finances settled a bit. Looks like I won't bother now. I'll spend my money elsewhere with a company that treats it's overseas customers fairly.

Perhaps others will make the same decision after reading this thread. And then perhaps 'Lars' will get the message. :lol:

That's Funny- Earlier this year I made a purchase from them and asked WHY I was being charged VAT. They responded that I wasn't being charged for it, it was merely on the web page to satisfy the Authorities? By the time you get done with the Euro conversion and the Left Arm for shipping, I guess it gets lost in the shuffle!!

I guess I'm DONE with them as well! To bad, they've got some nice coins!

Edited by Sunrayers

That's Funny- Earlier this year I made a purchase from them and asked WHY I was being charged VAT. They responded that I wasn't being charged for it, it was merely on the web page to satisfy the Authorities? By the time you get done with the Euro conversion and the Left Arm for shipping, I guess it gets lost in the shuffle!!

I guess I'm DONE with them as well! To bad, they've got some nice coins!

They do have nice coins and it is a shame, but their shipping is outragious and when you add in 17-19% VAT on top of that, well, it makes them too expensive to do business with. They were always one of my favorite international sellers, but I can't afford them anymore.

I have ordered twice from that shop in question, and checked my invoices. Very odd how the info is presented:

<copy>

Sub-Total: 55,30 EUR

German Post (Dispatch to US): 12,67 EUR

incl. 19% UST / VAT: 9,81 EUR

Total: 67,97 EUR

<end copy>

And:

<copy>

Sub-Total: 7,50 EUR

German Post (Dispatch to US): 3,81 EUR

incl. 19% UST / VAT: 0,61 EUR

Total: 11,31 EUR

This invoice doesn't include VAT according German law § 19 I UStG

Tax Number: 06/032/3444/7

<end copy>

Yes, postage is way too expensive, but it does appear that my Total=subtotal+postage, and does not include the 19% UST/VAT. I checked my Paypal account and confirmed that I only paid the 67.97 & 11.31. I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

I have ordered twice from that shop in question, and checked my invoices. Very odd how the info is presented:

<copy>

<end copy>

And:

<copy>

<end copy>

Yes, postage is way too expensive, but it does appear that my Total=subtotal+postage, and does not include the 19% UST/VAT. I checked my Paypal account and confirmed that I only paid the 67.97 & 11.31. I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

Please let us the Geocoinshop try to make things clear.

In 2007 we were not bound to pay VAT to our state, therefor our invoices did not include VAT and you didn't have to pay either.

In 2008 now we are bounded to pay VAT (the same as all the other shops) to our country.

(to make it clear: the VAT is not going into our pocket, but has to be paid to the country.)

Until now, our laywer told us, that we have no chance to get rid of it.

Therefor our customers (even outside the EU) have to pay and we have to forward to our country.

Nevertheless we see and wonder that some shops skipped their VAT.

Presently we think they are acting not correct. We are going to check, if their is a chance to skip the VAT.

If yes you can be sure to get a refund for 2008.

(to make it clear: the VAT is not going into our pocket, but has to be paid to the country.)

First off - I thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread. I really appreciate it.

To me, it makes no difference where the money goes. If I am not obliged by law to pay it, I don't want to pay it period. I understand you don't wish to be seen as money-hungry and so you are clarifying where the money goes. I think those of us in the US (and probably everywhere with any kind of tax system) understand that.

I hope you will indeed check with your accountant and/or legal advisor to clarify the need for this charge to overseas customers. I will be very anxious to get clarification on this matter as well.

I would love to do business with your company and once the issue has been resolved to our mutual satisfaction, I will consider making my purchases with you.

Thanks again for your post. :lol:

First off - I thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread. I really appreciate it.

To me, it makes no difference where the money goes. If I am not obliged by law to pay it, I don't want to pay it period. I understand you don't wish to be seen as money-hungry and so you are clarifying where the money goes. I think those of us in the US (and probably everywhere with any kind of tax system) understand that.

I hope you will indeed check with your accountant and/or legal advisor to clarify the need for this charge to overseas customers. I will be very anxious to get clarification on this matter as well.

I would love to do business with your company and once the issue has been resolved to our mutual satisfaction, I will consider making my purchases with you.

Thanks again for your post. :lol:

Thanks for your constructive reply !

We will exactly do what you are saying, namely check with our legal advisor.

Be sure, we are also fighting for the VAT free solution, cause it would make the geocoins more attractive.

Hopefully the fast reaction of other sellers is legally correct and has not be skipped.

Our understanding until today namely was, that you can only skip VAT outside the EU, when you can offer an official export document, which is not the order, nor the invoice, nor any bank transaction.

Let's see what we will find out.

We keep you informed.

Your Geocoinshop

<copy>

<end copy>

And:

<copy>

<end copy>

In 2007 we were not bound to pay VAT to our state, therefor our invoices did not include VAT and you didn't have to pay either.

In 2008 now we are bounded to pay VAT (the same as all the other shops) to our country.

Therefor our customers (even outside the EU) have to pay and we have to forward to our country.

Presently we think they are acting not correct. We are going to check, if their is a chance to skip the VAT.

Thanks for your reply, I understand that you are not collecting the VAT and the country is, but how can I as a consumer outside the EU get the taxes returned back to me?

<copy>

<end copy>

And:

<copy>

<end copy>

The pricing on the coin includes VAT. That line item is a break out for accounting purposes of the VAT charged on the 53.30 and 7.50 amounts (or how much of that amount is VAT).

<copy>

<end copy>

And:

<copy>

<end copy>

I appreciate your reply here, but the truth is that it doesn't matter where the money is going. It matters that we have to pay it in the first place. It's an EU sales tax basically. I'm not in the EU, therefore I am exempt from the tax.

The pricing on the coin includes VAT. That line item is a break out for accounting purposes of the VAT charged on the 53.30 and 7.50 amounts (or how much of that amount is VAT).

Ah, now I see that listed under the item's price itself e.g. "7,00 EUR

incl. 19 % Tax excl.Shipping costs" No wonder they are so expensive :lol:

I appreciate your reply here, but the truth is that it doesn't matter where the money is going. It matters that we have to pay it in the first place. It's an EU sales tax basically. I'm not in the EU, therefore I am exempt from the tax.

You are in principal correct. The question in doubt is, if invoice and bank transfer is accepted as "the export document" which proves that the goods have left the EU. We thought and even think 'No', but we will find out. Surfing through all the tax forums did not make it clearer until now. We have to contact our lawyer.

Regards

Your Geocoinshop

Edited by Geocoinshop.de

You are in principal correct. The question in doubt is, if invoice and bank transfer is accepted as "the export document" which proves that the goods have left the EU. We thought and even think 'No', but we will find out. Surfing through all the tax forums did not make it clearer until now. We have to contact our lawyer.

Regards

Your Geocoinshop

If 12.67 Euro (quoted above several times) (Approx. $19 USD) to ship a handful of coins doesn't cover registered and insured mailing, that's highway robbery. Whatever documentation you get for $20 shipping should be enough to cover proof the coins left the EU.

TMA

Regards

Your Geocoinshop

If 12.67 Euro (quoted above several times) (Approx. $19 USD) to ship a handful of coins doesn't cover registered and insured mailing, that's highway robbery. Whatever documentation you get for $20 shipping should be enough to cover proof the coins left the EU.

TMA

Thats not highway robbery, that is the unfortunately expensive German Postal (>500g = 12 € only for stamps without any documentation etc.):

rsGerman%20Postal.jpg

Regards

Your Geocoinshop

A lawyer has nothing to do with this, nor can one give you any real info. This may be what the problem is in fact. You should consult an Accountant. That is someone who understands taxes and tax laws.

Yay!

Yep - same here. Isn't it nice to see that kind of customer service? :D

Email sent- Heres hoping I get the same response! <_<

I'm happy to report the VAT I was charged for my recent order also has been refunded! I guess you gotta ask!

I would like to personaly THANK Avroair for stirring up the pot!! :unsure:

Edited by Sunrayers

Thats not highway robbery, that is the unfortunately expensive German Postal (>500g = 12 € only for stamps without any documentation etc.):

rsGerman%20Postal.jpg

Registered and insured mailing is part of the so called "Postpaket", which costs € 32,00 and more to the USA. THAT'S highway robbery!

I once got a coin with a mis-engraved tracking number and I didn't send it back because sending via registered mail would have cost more than 5 times the costs of the coin.

Edited by wutzebear

"I'm happy to report the VAT I was charged for my recent order also has been refunded! I guess you gotta ask!

I would like to personaly THANK Avroair for stirring up the pot!!"

What they said. Plus a thank you to myGeocoin.de for checking into this and issuing refunds

BAH to high taxes !!

fixed it MOOP ... AG was right I mixed up the two

Edited by bvnlj

"I'm happy to report the VAT I was charged for my recent order also has been refunded! I guess you gotta ask!

What they said. Plus a thank you to Geocoinshop.de for checking into this and issuing refunds

BAH to high taxes !!

Who said Geocoinshop.de was refunding any VAT?

What they said. Plus a thank you to Geocoinshop.de for checking into this and issuing refunds

BAH to high taxes !!

Who said Geocoinshop.de was refunding any VAT?

I think she's confused with mygeocoin.de and geocoinshop.de. Two different coin seller sites.