Safety Concerns

I'm new to caching and so far it has been so enjoyable. My problem is the gash I now carry as I reached for the hidden cache, only to find the remains of a dirt colored beer bottle edge greeting my hand. I guess I'm wondering if others have experienced the same issue? I'm not talking about obstacles presented by mother nature, I'm talking about broken bottles, barbed wire, rusted metal, etc. I now pack gloves and if any search is near the ground, the gloves are on.

I carry gloves while out Geocaching but they generally go with the trash bags so I can grab the litter and do some CITO on the way in or out. As for grabbing the cache - I generally walk away from any cache that is hidden amongst a pile of trash and rusty sharp items. So no problems here.

I figure most accidents are just part of the game. I've seen caches with broken bottles, just carefully picked them up and removed them they went looking. If I didn't see something and got scratched or cut etc I just keep going. Scars heal and disappear, no biggy.

(I'm a girl sitting here with finger and toe nails painted and done up nice, used to go every other week to get a manicure, etc, but I've also been on "mudding" adventures, camp outs and hard labor community service jobs. So go figure)

I carry gloves while out Geocaching but they generally go with the trash bags so I can grab the litter and do some CITO on the way in or out. As for grabbing the cache - I generally walk away from any cache that is hidden amongst a pile of trash and rusty sharp items. So no problems here.

Well said! If you place a cache in a pile of discarded trash, I will not waste my time looking for it. Why anyone would want to bring me to a landfill is beyond my comprehension. I do, however, carry a pair of work gloves in the vehicle for when I stick my hand blindly into cracks and crevices. The though of a black widow hiding in there has always be a bit unsettling to me. :)

Well I normally don't wear any, but if I clearly can't see in a spot, I normally grab a stick or use my hiking pole to check it out first. I haven't had any incidents yet besides getting the occasional ant bite. You just have to be "gentle" and don't go thrusting your hand into dark holes and such. :)

Well I normally don't wear any, but if I clearly can't see in a spot, I normally grab a stick or use my hiking pole to check it out first. I haven't had any incidents yet besides getting the occasional ant bite. You just have to be "gentle" and don't go thrusting your hand into dark holes and such. :)

Me too - poke it with a stick first to see if anything bites back.

It helps to have a designated Geocaching backpack or something to grab-and-go. Besides maintence items such as ziplock bags, and a spare lock-n-lock I have gloves and hand sanitizer. I have black, military style gloves which are great for wilderness caches, for climbing and reaching into holes for the GRAB. More importantly, I carry thinner agile latex type gloves for the Urban caches. I find that any cache hidden below belt level has been possibly urinated on by man or beast. It is best to go urban caching the day after a good rain, long enough to have dried but still soon after a fresh rinse. I hate when something is mysteriously sticky. Guess I have to get used to that sensations when I have a kid. I hear they are sticky, like, all the time. ~shivers~

Edited by majormajor42

Unfortunately it seems like some of the good places to hide a geocache are also good places to toss drug paraphernalia, trash, bags of dog poop, etc.

I disagree... any place that collects these things is not a good place to put a cache.

AMEN! Makes you wonder what it is about the hider's life that make them think this place would have any significance. or be enjoyable.

I've been lucky with my hands so far, no cuts from reaching for a cache. Around here most everyone eventually gets a bit of "desert pinstriping" on their legs or arms. My worst so far was walking over some old barbed wire hidden in the tall grass/weeds. First time wasn't so bad, daytime, it just grabbed my shoe and the bottom of my pants leg got ripped. Second time I hit barbed wire, night caching, it wrapped around my left leg (ripping my jeans and taking a nasty bite on my shin) and and my right shoe = I face planted <_< Havta protect the GPSr in my right hand and the flashlight in my left, ya' know ? :unsure:

Let's see...thorns, bats, trees hitting me...nothing garbage related yet.

Aside from the gloves I suggest a walking stick. It helps to have something to poke around with and to navigate on logs with (would have helped friday as I came home muddied up and cold). However I haven't found a good walking stick yet!

Well said! If you place a cache in a pile of discarded trash, I will not waste my time looking for it. Why anyone would want to bring me to a landfill is beyond my comprehension. I do, however, carry a pair of work gloves in the vehicle for when I stick my hand blindly into cracks and crevices. The though of a black widow hiding in there has always be a bit unsettling to me. :anibad:

I agree. I try to use a stick to make sure nothing is on the hole.