FTF prize question

jolkow

We just started geocaching after getting a gps system this week. We have three under our belt and yesterday we scored our FTF. Our prize was a FTF coin in a pouch with a pen, we also took a TB. I was wanting to grab a tradable item also (trade with a keychain), but my wife felt that we have taken enough from this one. So we left with the prize and TB and left the keychain. I know that when you take a tradable item, you must trade with something equal or greater value. Do FTF prizes follow this same rule, or is the prize mine by right?

We have really enjoyed the last 3 days doing this and I can see us going "crazy" with this hobby, better than sitting at home watching tv.

sorry i can't answer that one - since I only started yesterday and will go out this weekend and get a few local caches around my town. I see also see myself going crazy and will get my GPS this weekend.

any replies/tips from the oldies in this sport/activity will be helpful to me also - being a newbie.

do you just take a whole bunch of stuff and then trade similar things? i do see that often the info will tell you roughly what to put there, but when it doesn't - how do you know what to place? :o i guess i will learn as i go. :o

FTF prizes are intended for the first finder to keep. No trade is necessary, but it never hurts to leave swag. On normal trade items, common etiquette is always to leave something of greater of equal value (or not to trade at all, if you choose).

Travel bugs, geocoins, and other trackables are NOT trade items. Their goal is to travel, so you don't need to exchange anything for a trackable, just get it placed in another cache as soon as possible, since that is what the owner of the trackable wants it to do.

Generally FTF prizes don't require a trade - but be careful. I have only rarely put out an FTF prize in my caches but occasionally have seen a FTF log similar to "Took the xxxx as it was clearly the FTF prize".

Not all caches require or will have an identifiable FTF prize.

A clearly marked FTF prize is a gift. A travel bug or coin you are assisting it along it's journey, so no need to trade. I hid my first cache this week, and being anal as I am. I put 3 zipper baggies in. In the first I put the log and pen and an envelope marked First to Find Prize! (and labled it "Log") one had a Travel Bug I needed to move (I labled the baggie Travel Bugs & Geocoins) and the third I labeled "Swag" and put all my trade items. I'm hoping that finders will keep things in the right bags. My reasoning for that is that I go caching with kids, and when we first started there were a few times the kids would grab something and I'd say, "Wait, let me see what you have just to make sure it isn't a traveler". By separating them, I can hand the kids the Swag bag, while I log the book and see if there are any coins or bugs I can help out. It works well for us and I wish more people would follow suit.

A clearly marked FTF prize is a gift. A travel bug or coin you are assisting it along it's journey, so no need to trade. I hid my first cache this week, and being anal as I am. I put 3 zipper baggies in. In the first I put the log and pen and an envelope marked First to Find Prize! (and labled it "Log") one had a Travel Bug I needed to move (I labled the baggie Travel Bugs & Geocoins) and the third I labeled "Swag" and put all my trade items. I'm hoping that finders will keep things in the right bags. My reasoning for that is that I go caching with kids, and when we first started there were a few times the kids would grab something and I'd say, "Wait, let me see what you have just to make sure it isn't a traveler". By separating them, I can hand the kids the Swag bag, while I log the book and see if there are any coins or bugs I can help out. It works well for us and I wish more people would follow suit.

A bit off the topic, but don't leave pens/pencils in the baggie with the log book as that leads to holes in the baggie. Holes in the baggie lead to wet logs. It took longer than I care to admit to learn this lesson.

On topic. You can trade as much as you want at a cache. Just make sure you trade even or trade up. Leave the cache as much or more fun to find as you found it. That doesn't mean change the hide. Re-hide it exactly the way you found it.

As has been said, trackables are not trade items. You can move any that you can help along.

An FTF prize is just that, a prize. Be careful, not all caches have an FTF prize. I don't put them in any of my caches.

Generally FTF prizes don't require a trade - but be careful. I have only rarely put out an FTF prize in my caches but occasionally have seen a FTF log similar to "Took the xxxx as it was clearly the FTF prize".

Not all caches require or will have an identifiable FTF prize.

There was a cacher in my area that left $100 as a FTF prize. I've seen $15-$20 gift certificates left as FTF prizes as well. I doubt that too many geocachers carry any swag that's worth more the a few dollars.

Asothers have said, a clearly marked (or stated on the Cache page) FTF prize is something completely seperate from your trade or any travelers. I just activated my first cache in a long time today, and left a clearly marked FTF prize. (a new style $5 bill, a new set of TB tags, and 5-6 of my Raffle Tickets, all in a seperate bag together).

The first finder took the prize, traded three trackables for three others(would have been OK just to take the three) and grabbed three of the Micro Trade items I left in the Cache. He didn't mention what was left in trade for the Micro Trade things, but that's why I put in 50, so some players can take a couple little things even without leaving anything. You were right on track with your ideas (especially the idea to do what your wife told you!)