getting permission for new hide

i was going to put up a new cache in my area. it would be my first one. do you have to get permission if its on public land or park trail?

Not typically. Although I would be careful taking that liberty in front of a library, school or other such building.

i was going to put up a new cache in my area. it would be my first one. do you have to get permission if its on public land or park trail?

Not typically. Although I would be careful taking that liberty in front of a library, school or other such building.

yea, someone told me to stay away from libraries, schools, federal buildings and bridges. i was thinking more like a trail in park or about 200 feet off side of back road

The other area you can run into problems if not careful are like state parks and federal land. USFW (US Fish and Wildlife), for example, has a strict no caching policy. In those places it's a good idea to check with local cachers, local reviewers and local land managers regarding policies.

Edited by egami

Check with local geo-groups or other cachers to see if the area has any special geocaching rules. Ask the land manger about geocaching rules if necessary. If it does follow them. If not - don't worry about it.

Also - be sure to read and then re-read the guidelines. Make certain your proposed hide falls nicely within all the guidelines and you should have no problems with review.

YES, unless they have a known policy of allowing open cache placement, even if they are "cacher-friendly". It's common courtesy to ask the land manager if you want to place a permanent object on their land.

Why? Let's reverse positions. You participate in caching, and are obviously cacher friendly, but wouldn't you want to be given the opportunity to allow or deny permission for someone else to hide a cache in your front yard?

yea, someone told me to stay away from libraries, schools, federal buildings and bridges. i was thinking more like a trail in park or about 200 feet off side of back road

You need to read the guidelines for listing a cache. Someone told you correctly about those places, but you should have known that already if you were in the process of planning a cache.

As far as whether or not you need express permission for the place you choose, that depends. Some places do not require it, others do (some actually have a permit system). You need to find out if there are any policies that apply to your targeted park. You can call and ask the park staff, or contact your local reviewer who usually is up on the rules in various park systems

If its public land, then you need to ask the owner of the land, which is you. Seek permission from yourself and you should be okay. If you can play frisbee in the park without getting permission, then you should be able to cache without getting permission.

Reading the rules for placing a cache, it says you need to get permission. I'm very new to Caching and I'm loving it but this morning I was questioned for almost 15 minutes by an officer because of my search for a cache around the city water tank. I needed photo ID, (which I didn't have) he checked my bike and all its' contents and then followed me home (that's right - I lived 1 block away) to verify my identity.

This is the second time in 3 days I've had problems. Another cache was behind a convenience store and it just so happened I was caching when the manager came out to dump some trash. I was told in no uncertain terms to get off the property.

I have informed both cache owners of the experience but it would seem those two examples clearly support the need to contact the property owner and get permission.

I was questioned for almost 15 minutes by an officer because of my search for a cache around the city water tank. I needed photo ID, (which I didn't have) he checked my bike and all its' contents and then followed me home (that's right - I lived 1 block away) to verify my identity.

I would assume that this cache should be archived or something to me a city water tank would fall under this guideline:

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

I could see that being a terrorist target.

Edited by hardkoretech

Another cache was behind a convenience store and it just so happened I was caching when the manager came out to dump some trash. I was told in no uncertain terms to get off the property.

Behind a convenience store? 1) That's private property 2) That's an idiotic hide. Two good reasons to not put a cache there.

...this morning I was questioned for almost 15 minutes by an officer because of my search for a cache around the city water tank. I needed photo ID, (which I didn't have) he checked my bike and all its' contents and then followed me home (that's right - I lived 1 block away) to verify my identity.

This is the second time in 3 days I've had problems. Another cache was behind a convenience store and it just so happened I was caching when the manager came out to dump some trash. I was told in no uncertain terms to get off the property....

Example one is the police doing their job. The handy dandy guide to suspiciouse behavior to watch for has a checklist that cachers fit perfectly while doing their fun family friendly activity. Nothing wrong with caching, you do need to be aware that you are going to give someone working off a checklist something to think about.

Unless you are a seedy looking SOB I'm not sure why being behind a convience store would result in being booted. Most of our stores have roads and alleys that go places behind them that people use.