General sadness!

:o After a few weeks of a worsening problem with my foot, I was told by the nurse this morning to stay off my foot as much as possible, and when she found out that I do a lot of walking (basically, cos I'm going caching!) that I wasn't to go on any unneccesary walks... and since I don't drive, that pretty much means no caching for the next few weeks! *sigh*

Just needed to share my general sadness about the whole thing!

Clare xx

:o After a few weeks of a worsening problem with my foot, I was told by the nurse this morning to stay off my foot as much as possible, and when she found out that I do a lot of walking (basically, cos I'm going caching!) that I wasn't to go on any unneccesary walks... and since I don't drive, that pretty much means no caching for the next few weeks! *sigh*

Just needed to share my general sadness about the whole thing!

Clare xx

So sorry to hear about your foot. If it helps.......the weathers going to be cr*p for the next few weeks anyway, so you'll be well enough just in time for the nice weather. :o

Get well soon.

TLHM

oooh poor you!

I had a similar problem about 2 years ago when I had a problem with the collagen in my heel... basically there was a tear in it, and every time I put my foot down, the bone would poke through - Very Painful.

It's fully healed now (Poor pun, I know!)

Just do as you're told and pray that it's healed enough for camping seasn, pack the tent and get geocamping!

(reckon I'm getting excited about geocamping?)

You should just do what I do and live in denial. I did a walk last weekend which should have been 40 miles but my knees would only manage 35 miles and I took in 3 caches along the route. Now I am feeling the pain still but I know if I go to a doc they will only give me bad news. How can you expect me not to walk for any length of time?

Anyway I hope you are feeling better soon. your rest will probalby do more for you than my lack of it. :o

Last August, I had a lot of pain walking. The doctor diagnosed it as Planar Fasciitis, and told me that it was an overuse problem, and I had to cut right down on walking (which was what my heel was already telling me). He gave me a sheet of stretchy exercises to help.. They helped slightly, but not a lot.

After a couple of weeks of this, I was getting withdrawal symptoms; no tupperware box was safe from being grabbed and opened. So I started researching Planar Fasciitis on the web. Quite soon, I found that the key symptom, was that when you first stood on the foot after the night's sleep, it was *really* painful, but that soon faded to a dull ache.

I pursued this. The heel is healing overnight, but the foot is in a relaxed position, and the healing isn't right. When you first stand on the foot, whatever healed up, tears apart again, and that's why it's so painful in the morning.

The answer, I decided, was to hold the foot in the non-relaxed position, so that when the heel healed, it was healing in the position that it's in when I walk on it. To do this, I bought a "Night splint" from www.simplyfeet.co.uk, it holds the foot at right angles to the shin, the position it's in when you're standing. I also bought some gel heel pads.

The night splint worked like magic (only it wasn't magic, it was based on an understanding of what was wrong with my foot). My foot felt *miles* better after a week. I continued the night splint for about 2-3 weeks (it's no hassle, except if you get up during the night for the short but necessary walk, you need to take it off first, then put it back on when you get back into bed, because walking a few yards in a night splint is *very* clumsy.

Some months later, my foot is still good. Occasionally, after a very long walk, I'll wear the night spling overnight, just in case.

Anyone who has Planar Fasciitis should take note of my story. Maybe it would work for you too. You might suggest the idea to your doctor, see what she says.

Big empathy from me. I've spent quite a few months over the past couple of years off my feet (operations on smashed knee)

Don't do anything to make it worse! Rest up and relax. Play the invalid! Get that sympathy card out!

Best of luck!

(pedantic PS By the way, drsolly do you mean planTar fasciitis, not planar? - I've had that too!)

If you droped an ammo box on it, it's your own stupid fault lol!!

I am sure there must be cache 'n dashers near you that would drive you round a couple of places. Maybe if you came to an event you could log those too for just getting there!! Have you considered stealing a wheel chair? Maybe it's something you can ask the doctor for, you know it's about quality of life and all that! Maybe someones got a spare chair you can use to go and do some urban caching!

Probably best to get a bottle of wine and get stuck into the puzzle caches you haven't solved yet :unsure:

I'm getting better. I thought it was all ok, but then I had to travel to Manchester yesterday: no-one else was home, so I had to walk to the train station, then stand about in Euston for an hour as my train was cancelled! And then stand around for 40 mins waiting for my colleague to pick me up, who got stuck in the traffic for Old Trafford!! I'm going to be VERY well behaved for the next few days, and hope I'm better for when I visit my friends in Hove next week- there's a nice set of caches round there!