Cache Towns, Cache Rivers, Cache Buttes and More

When I recently saw this satellite image I happened to notice the name of the river along which many caches were probably flooded recently. I never thought to look to see if any places where named cache or had the word cache in them. I have since found three towns: Cache, Illinois, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

At topozone.com I found a lot more places with the name cache in them. Beware, this topozone link takes at least 1.5 minutes to load, but it has a long list of cache locations that will help you to take the challenges I present below.

Now let’s see if you can figure out what cache is located at the red X here.

a499ab43-994c-46ff-a6b7-c4e1de0763e8.jpg

Another challenge - can you locate the name of the cache marked with the X along the Cache River in AK?

df121e3e-d778-4e0e-bbfc-9a06eff8a373.jpg

I think a bunch of mine may have ended up here. Can someone tell us the name of the cache nearest to this location? It’s near Cache.

f592fee7-ea52-482a-8c0c-b42a627441e6.jpg

Does anyone know of any other geocache near something that has the word cache in it? Here in NE Iowa there's one under a big sign that says Cache; it's a salon or something. I thought that was hilarious.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

Now let’s see if you can figure out what cache is located at the red X here.

GC6784 - Cache Butte

Another challenge - can you locate the name of the cache marked with the X along the Cache River in AK?

No, but the one in AR is GCB733 - CWL008 - Cache River

I think a bunch of mine may have ended up here. Can someone tell us the name of the cache nearest to this location? It’s near Cache.

GCNN0R - Prickly Pear

Particularly in the Rocky Mountain states in the USA, there are also plenty of towns and cities with streets containing the word "cache". In fact, in Jackson, WY alone, there is a Cache Drive and a Cache Creek Drive, both of which I have traversed many times. There is also a Cache La Poudre Drive (which I have also traversed many times) in Fort Collins, CO , which is also home to several offices of Cache Bank & Trust, a local bank which has offices across a good part of the state of Colorado. In fact, several geocaches are associated with the locations of the bank offices due to the name of the bank; I do not want to say more about this, as disclosing anything further might serve as a spoiler for the geocaches in question.

As far as other fun place names, such as names of rivers, buttes and canyons, however, one of my favorites is Bitch Creek in SE Idaho, near the ID/WY border, and in fact, my Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing, is located on an abandoned railroad bridge which crosses Bitch Creek. The bridge is located near two more of my favorite place names, as it is located about 9 miles SW of Jackass Pass, about 13 miles NW of Mary's Nipple; both of these features along with their place names are displayed and labeled prominently on most local maps, including many NPS maps, Forest Service maps and topographic maps of the local area.

As Vinny said there are lots of caches out here, and he has even found one of them that I know of offhand. I have one known as the Original Cache.

Yes, your are entirely correct... I have indeed found one of the "cache" caches in CO; I did not wish to say too much in my original post for fear of letting a spoiler or two slip! And, I will be back in CO in a month or two on a research field trip (collecting uranium ore for my time-space portal), and who knows, I may log a few more CO "cache" caches during the trip! Fun!

If this wasn't a 22 mile round trip hike, I would put a cache here!

Aw, come on...what's 22 miles in a day? if you hid it, I'd go try to find it. (or would if it were in my state)

I've found the one in Arkansas. It was one of my earlier caches (and not a 20 mile hike!)

AK

If this wasn't a 22 mile round trip hike, I would put a cache here!

Aw, come on...what's 22 miles in a day? if you hid it, I'd go try to find it. (or would if it were in my state)

I've found the one in Arkansas. It was one of my earlier caches (and not a 20 mile hike!)

AK

I'd personally love to make the hike, but most of the "So Cal Geocachers" wouldn't. This cache would probably be found less than once per year.

As Vinny said there are lots of caches out here, and he has even found one of them that I know of offhand. I have one known as the Original Cache.

Yes, your are entirely correct... I have indeed found one of the "cache" caches in CO; I did not wish to say too much in my original post for fear of letting a spoiler or two slip! And, I will be back in CO in a month or two on a research field trip (collecting uranium ore for my time-space portal), and who knows, I may log a few more CO "cache" caches during the trip! Fun!

Well if you're here in early June then your invited for the Last Patrol and I'll take you into some awesome backcountry where there are some nice Caches.

Particularly in the Rocky Mountain states in the USA, there are also plenty of towns and cities with streets containing the word "cache". In fact, in Jackson, WY alone, there is a Cache Drive and a Cache Creek Drive, both of which I have traversed many times. There is also a Cache La Poudre Drive (which I have also traversed many times) in Fort Collins, CO , which is also home to several offices of Cache Bank & Trust, a local bank which has offices across a good part of the state of Colorado. In fact, several geocaches are associated with the locations of the bank offices due to the name of the bank; I do not want to say more about this, as disclosing anything further might serve as a spoiler for the geocaches in question.

As far as other fun place names, such as names of rivers, buttes and canyons, however, one of my favorites is Bitch Creek in SE Idaho, near the ID/WY border, and in fact, my Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing, is located on an abandoned railroad bridge which crosses Bitch Creek. The bridge is located near two more of my favorite place names, as it is located about 9 miles SW of Jackass Pass, about 13 miles NW of Mary's Nipple; both of these features along with their place names are displayed and labeled prominently on most local maps, including many NPS maps, Forest Service maps and topographic maps of the local area.

Don't forget Molly's Nipple in Utah. :unsure:<_<

Edited by Hobo2