Geocaching is a Blast!

As a newcomer to the hobby I've been reading so much negativity lately and thought maybe if everyone could please take a step (or in some cases leap) back and think about what it is that drew us to geocaching in the first place.

For me it was the thought that I could have something to do outside with my family. Granted I never knew I'd end up enjoying it so much that I'd be on ebay bidding on Lock & Lock containers like they are going out of style.

In case you've forgotten... What is geocaching?

According to the wiki, the definition is as follows:

Geocaching is a treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 540,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the pastime. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1]

How could something so simple and fun get blown so far out of proportion?

Can we not just accept it for what it is and not get so technical, dramatic, or otherwise full of ourselves over a container with possibly some "trinkets of little value" in it?

I for one hope I never lose the rewarding feeling I get when I spot the container, regardless of where it's hidden or what is inside.

I'd also like to take a second to thank the great members here who have answered my questions, and of course Geocaching.com / Groundspeak for putting all of this together in one easy to use interface, I don't know how else I'd be able to do it!

And last but not least, the volunteers who take time out of their day to review caches, the forum, and all the day to day activities we all rely on to enjoy our hobby.

I guess that's all I want to say, hopefully you take it for what it is... an attempt to lighten the mood around here a little.

Nobody is going to love every cache just like nobody is going to love every log comment. But if we take a little extra time on both ends and appreciate the efforts maybe we can all have a little more fun.

All the best.

:laughing::rolleyes:

As a newcomer to the hobby I've been reading so much negativity lately and thought maybe if everyone could please take a step (or in some cases leap) back and think about what it is that drew us to geocaching in the first place.

If you're talking about the boards, just remember that people are much more likely to come here and complain than to just say they had a good day.

If I came by here every time I had a good day cacheing.....you'd really start to get tired of me!!

The Getting Started board is usually a little more positive....first time cachers very excited about starting out.

For me it was the thought that I could have something to do outside with my family. Granted I never knew I'd end up enjoying it so much that I'd be on ebay bidding on Lock & Lock containers like they are going out of style.

In case you've forgotten... What is geocaching?

According to the wiki, the definition is as follows:

Geocaching is a treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 540,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the pastime. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1]

Can we not just accept it for what it is and not get so technical, dramatic, or otherwise full of ourselves over a container with possibly some "trinkets of little value" in it?

I for one hope I never lose the rewarding feeling I get when I spot the container, regardless of where it's hidden or what is inside.

I'd also like to take a second to thank the great members here who have answered my questions, and of course Geocaching.com / Groundspeak for putting all of this together in one easy to use interface, I don't know how else I'd be able to do it!

And last but not least, the volunteers who take time out of their day to review caches, the forum, and all the day to day activities we all rely on to enjoy our hobby.

I guess that's all I want to say, hopefully you take it for what it is... an attempt to lighten the mood around here a little.

Nobody is going to love every cache just like nobody is going to love every log comment. But if we take a little extra time on both ends and appreciate the efforts maybe we can all have a little more fun.

All the best.

:):D

You're preaching to the choir here. Good post though. Take a seat next to me and Toz and mushtang and KBI and quite a few others on this side of the fence. The Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame. :):):D

Geocaching boiled down is just high tech hide and seek. It’s nothing more or less.

Here....You might enjoy my tree of angst analogy....

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :P

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :P

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. B)

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. :D

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :D

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :rolleyes:

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :laughing::D

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

It's not something that's unique to geocaching. Practically any group of people are going to have malcontents and people who want to argue. Among model railroaders for example, there are those who hate people who model things that never existed or weren't used in the exact time frame being modeled. They will insist "THAT ain't model railroading."

The same is true for geocaching, and the solution is the same: Ignore them and do it the way YOU want, the way that's fun for YOU. My model railroad is post-apocalyptic fiction. I don't care what other people think of it. I don't care for micros in parking lots, though I'll hunt them now and then. But if somebody else loves them, what do i care?

I guess my take on it is to geocache in the manner that I find fun, but certainly not to knock the ways in which others find it fun for them. Live and let live and all that. Also remember that the drama and angst on the forums represent only a small cross-section of the geocaching world. I believe that for the most part, people are out there enjoying their fun however they want.

Ah, there's your problem... you're spending time reading the forums instead of finding caches. If more than 3 people start talking about a single subject, especially if those 3 do not know each other in real life, then there will likely be a disagreement followed by much angst. The only known way to avoid it is to not listen, and especially to not join in. Problem solved.

Please don't think I'm telling you to avoid the forums; instead I'm telling you that [random forum participant] and [another random forum participant] will NEVER AGREE ON ANYTHING and will always argue and spew negativity toward each other.

Please don't think I'm telling you to avoid the forums; instead I'm telling you that [random forum participant] and [another random forum participant] will NEVER AGREE ON ANYTHING and will always argue and spew negativity toward each other.

They will not!

They will not!

:o:D:o

I'll agree that these forums are filled with all sorts of undesirable feelings and sentiments, and I was taken back when I first joined in on the discussions- I thought, "Man, these people are jerks!"

But since I have a thick skin from years of internet use, I stayed and can now filter out the nonsense and somewhat enjoy my forum posting.

I'm gonna go out geocaching now. :o

They will not!
Ok, now I'm gonna have to hate egami because I spewed coke all over my screen after reading his reply. :o

Stick around. If you've been a mod on your own for a while then you likely know that this one is pretty tame to most out there.

And remember, don't confuse geocaching, with talking about geocaching on the forums :o .

Good on you for opening a positive thread to counter-balance the other one, though.

Welcome.

Good on you for opening a positive thread to counter-balance the other one, though.

Welcome.

Haha, you caught me! And yes, that was the main intention of this thread (to pull some attention away from the other one).

Thanks for the welcome!

Is it a bad sign when you plan a hide at night after the kids go to bed and then place it on your way to work?

(Just the small ones the kids aren't interested in, we'll place the larger ones together of course, and fill them full of goodies.)

I have to agree - geocaching is quite different from discussing geocaching on the forums.

Now, if we could just get people to agree on what we can do for a cache... oh wait, that isn't going to happen. So... if we could just get Groundspeak to listen to the people that do the geocaching... oh wait, they say they do...

Heh

But yes, I do like having a positive thread out there. I just broke 1000 finds today, so that is a positive thing. One of them (around #960 or so) was a cache that was decided to have an agenda, and was archived. Well, at least it served its purpose in my agenda... to get to 1000 sometime soon and get one more smiley at that point!