Crappy Cache Containers (Rant)

So I go to an area of town today that I am normally not in. Not a bad area,just the other side of town. I decide to take a look at the GPSr to see if I have any caches loaded for that area. I did so I decide to grap a couple of caches while there because I would not make a special trip to get these caches because you pretty much know what you are going to find.

Now for the rant. When are people going to figure out that these key holders do not make a good cache container? Three out of four caches wet. One was water tight but I guess the top was not put on tight. Two out of two key holders wet, one with a brand new log replaced because it was wet.

If you can't place a quality water tight cache don't place one at all or save your money and instead of placing 10 micros place one or two quality containers.

I'm new, and maybe I've had bad luck but every single match stick container I've found (3) has had a very damp log. In fact none of the match stick containers had an o-ring seal.

I knew I had one of these in the bottom of my camping box, so I check and mine doesn't have any seal either. Maybe just bad luck but right now I'm of the opinion that these aren't the best containers either.

I don't know the caches or if they were all by the same person - but I think the ole addage "monkey see, monkey do" applies here. The person/people who placed them probably found several just like them and thought "hey, why not" and did it.... which is a cascade effect. They put even more out there and the new hiders have a higher chance of finding more.... placing more, finding more....

I say if you want more quality containers out there, you have to take the initiative and place them (perhaps not you personally, I'm not attacking you).

When I started caching, I found in this area people rely on altoid tins and micro containers like 35mm film canisters and bison tubes. The more there are the more a new hider will think that is the "standard." I figure if its a regular, look for a tupperware type container and if its a micro, default to film container or bison tube.... generally I'm spot on.

What actually inspired my more creative hides was my brother. He is a cacher in Indiana and has some VERY awesome hides. They are fantastic and fun. His creativity is what inspired me to do something different over here. I'm not saying I initiated anything because I only have 3 hides BUT I have actually recently started finding a few other clever hides which is VERY exciting.

I like "something different" but I'll never gripe about a standard hide either. Just post it needs maintenance and move on (that's my strategy). If I really like the cache container, I'll rave on the online log about it. If I don't, its generally a short entry about my hunt.

There isn't much you can do except promote what you like and support all hiders in your area... even if they wanna use a magnetic key hider :laughing:

I use those keyholders for stages of multi caches sometimes, but I use "Rite in the Rain" paper so if they get wet, no problem. I never use them with a log in them though.

The few keyholders I've found, the majority have been soaked; however, a couple of them took to wrapping the log in a small sandwich baggie.

OH and I'll have to check out the paper you use. Sounds like a cache hiders dream :laughing:

I don't have a problem finding them, but I totally agree that key holders and Altoids tins are NOT weatherproof and are usually waterlogged after a rain. Boo those containers, but I still log the smiley :laughing:

BTW, I'm at work and just LOL'd in front of everyone when I read the OP's sig line.

I don't have a problem finding them, but I totally agree that key holders and Altoids tins are NOT weatherproof and are usually waterlogged after a rain. Boo those containers, but I still log the smiley

The problem I find here in AZ, is that people think, "Hey, it doesn't rain that much here...." So, for a long time....the non-water-tight cache will be fine. Then the monsoons hit (think: lots of rain at once!). Then I'm find soggy moldy caches for the next month. And I'm talking about regular-sized caches.

I always thought that if the AZ cachers lived in a rainier state, they might give more thought to the contains. But as I read the OP's post....this might not be so.

Just for the sake of disclosure....I do have one hide-a-key hide. It's in a great location (I think) and is sheltered from the elements...rain will never touch it. If you're going to use those types of containers, at least think about placement.

I myself grimace when I find a cache that's almost indistinguishable from trash. No wonder some people don't want us to hide things. I hate to bring this up but I have thought about the need of having containers approved before being set out.

I make almost all of mine from scratch and have found that keeping water out is almost impossible. It's better to have them off the ground for sure.

-it

I don't have a problem finding them, but I totally agree that key holders and Altoids tins are NOT weatherproof and are usually waterlogged after a rain. Boo those containers, but I still log the smiley

The problem I find here in AZ, is that people think, "Hey, it doesn't rain that much here...." So, for a long time....the non-water-tight cache will be fine. Then the monsoons hit (think: lots of rain at once!). Then I'm find soggy moldy caches for the next month. And I'm talking about regular-sized caches.

I always thought that if the AZ cachers lived in a rainier state, they might give more thought to the contains. But as I read the OP's post....this might not be so.

Just for the sake of disclosure....I do have one hide-a-key hide. It's in a great location (I think) and is sheltered from the elements...rain will never touch it. If you're going to use those types of containers, at least think about placement.

What soggy moldy regular sized caches have you found? I've only found soggy wet Altoids tins, nanos, hide-a-keys, etc. Definately not ammo cans.

For the record, I live and have lived in AZ all my life. My parents also. I still give much thought to the idea of monsoon rains so if anything it is the new cachers who place a cache knowing nothing of the monsoons who would figure an altoids tin will be weatherproof.

After glancing at your hides, I do believe I have found your one hide a key cache and yeah, in that locations it should stay weatherproof.

Now for the rant. When are people going to figure out that these key holders do not make a good cache container? Three out of four caches wet. One was water tight but I guess the top was not put on tight. Two out of two key holders wet, one with a brand new log replaced because it was wet.

I have found that key holders work fine if they're hidden in a location that offers further protection from the weather; like a lamp post skirt. :o

What soggy moldy regular sized caches have you found? I've only found soggy wet Altoids tins, nanos, hide-a-keys, etc. Definately not ammo cans.
I've found really damp ammo cans and I've had to swap one out because it had gotten damp and a bit moldy.

A couple weeks ago, I found a soggy lock-n-lock.

Perhaps one of the best topics I have seen recently was one titled "How to I waterproof an Altoids Tin." The very first answer was "Put it in an ammo can." The topic went down hill from there.

I'm glad my post was memorable, but I hope it didn't cause the thread to go downhill.

I have found that key holders work fine if they're hidden in a location that offers further protection from the weather; like a lamp post skirt. :o

The ones I found yesterday were under LPS. Lets not even go there. :o

I think you're doing a terrible disservice to those good folks who happen to like owning caches with wet, moldy logs. As an extended family, we should all try and get along. Enjoy what Gaia gives you, instead of trying to dictate how others should play the game. If I was one of those folks who loved wet, moldy logs in my hides, I would feel highly insulted by your position in this matter.

[/sarcasm]

:o:D:o

I don't have a problem finding them, but I totally agree that key holders and Altoids tins are NOT weatherproof and are usually waterlogged after a rain. Boo those containers, but I still log the smiley :o

BTW, I'm at work and just LOL'd in front of everyone when I read the OP's sig line.

I totaly get what your saying here on this i have 2 "keyholder caches" that i hid but i make sure to keep the log in a baggy and when i get reports of a wet log o go fix it

Any container can become wet inside. I have replaced both a lock-n-lock and an ammo can that failed to keep out the moisture. Both had collected a good amount of water inside. The point is that ANY container can fail.

The trick is to pick a container that is suitable for the location in which you want to hide it. Don't use an Altoids tin under a rock on the riverbank. Don't use a capped pipe under a bench at the corner bus stop. Think about how your container will handle the elements and how it will be perceived when discovered by accident.

Someone talked about using hide-a-keys as stages of a multi. I have used them this way, along with many other of the "they will leak" type containers. No problems. I use a label maker for the coordinates. The embossed plastic labels can sit in water without damage. Using them in a match safe is convenient as they fit just right when you print the coordinates out and then fold the label in half so the north coordinate is on one side and the west coordinate is on the other.

I'm trying to figure out why magnetic hide-a-key containers (both horribly wet inside) were used for two caches I found recently:

(1) Hidden in the crotch of a tree out in the middle of acres and acres of woods. Maybe the hider was trying to be ironic or something, but I doubt it.

(2) Hidden on the ground under a rock where it gets totally flooded with water and snowmelt.

Not particularly great container choices for either location. It would have taken all of a minute's of thought to come up with a better container for those locations.

Edited by Ferreter5
What soggy moldy regular sized caches have you found? I've only found soggy wet Altoids tins, nanos, hide-a-keys, etc. Definitely not ammo cans.

Not ammo cans....those are like tanks. It was mostly (flimsy) plastic containers that probably used to be waterproof when placed. But after a couple of summers in the AZ sun, the plastic breaks down and it cracks...and lets water in when it rains.

But maybe that only here on the West-siiiiide. Haven't found any of yours yet. Not on that side of town that often.

I'm trying to figure out why magnetic hide-a-key containers (both horribly wet inside) were used for two caches I found recently:

(1) Hidden in the crotch of a tree out in the middle of acres and acres of woods. Maybe the hider was trying to be ironic or something, but I doubt it.

(2) Hidden on the ground under a rock where it gets totally flooded with water and snowmelt.

Not particularly great container choices for either location. It would have taken all of a minute's of thought to come up with a better container for those locations.

The hiders probably had them in the pack with them (pre-made) and just stuck them where they thought a cache should go.

What soggy moldy regular sized caches have you found? I've only found soggy wet Altoids tins, nanos, hide-a-keys, etc. Definitely not ammo cans.

Not ammo cans....those are like tanks. It was mostly (flimsy) plastic containers that probably used to be waterproof when placed. But after a couple of summers in the AZ sun, the plastic breaks down and it cracks...and lets water in when it rains.

But maybe that only here on the West-siiiiide. Haven't found any of yours yet. Not on that side of town that often.

Ammo cans can and do leak. It is rare, but it happens. The seals can fail. Usually it's because people fail to get all the bits inside the can. Leave someting hanging out and the cans will leak.

I'm new, and maybe I've had bad luck but every single match stick container I've found (3) has had a very damp log. In fact none of the match stick containers had an o-ring seal.

I knew I had one of these in the bottom of my camping box, so I check and mine doesn't have any seal either. Maybe just bad luck but right now I'm of the opinion that these aren't the best containers either.

Super glue the ring on 1 side. When it needs replaced pick a ring up at the auto parts store.

Super glue the ring on 1 side. When it needs replaced pick a ring up at the auto parts store.

Well son of a...why didn't I think of that?

Thanks.

I'd just replace the 88 cent match safe instead of heading to the auto parts store.

Edited by gof1

Something I've noticed with the orange, Wally World match containers is that the O-ring is kinda stiff. I've had some out in the field that failed, and I thought the stiff O-ring might have been the cause. Since then, I've replaced the O-rings with softer ones purchased at my local hardware store. No more leaks. I've still got a couple wandering around the bottom of my day pack for doing maintenance on other match containers I might come across that show signs of seal failure.

On a related note, the higher quality OD green match containers that my local Army/Navy store sells, already come with a good O-ring.

It is because the person that hid them was to cheap to spend more than 1.00 on a cache hide and was not creative enought to use his/her imagination to hide a large cache that would be hard to find.

Altoids containers. Definitely the worst. See the object on the far right? The wooden object is a visiting travel bug that absolutely refused the accomodations.

Magnetic key holders can be OK if a little thought put into the placement, but definitely not suited for unprotected locations, such as the back of signs.

The matchstick holders I've come across seem to do well, but will take a bit of water in locations that it stands in. Well drained locations seem OK.

Basically, a container needs to be able to be securely closed with a good seal. Very few containers are suitable for a location with a lot of water through it, the ones that are should probably be tethered to keep them from going downstream. Containers made of cardboard, such as powdered drink cans, will take on water from the air and breakdown, they were designed for a limited lifetime. Snap on lids can be popped off by changing temperatures, the air contracts and expands with temperature changes.

My 2 cents, no change necessary.

Waterproof containers that I've seen that aren't really waterproof are cheap tupperware and peanut butter jars. Even snap on lid tupperware containers will freeze in winter and snap off.

Personally I have two plastic jar containers. Look at the threading. These things aren't meant to be waterproof (an odd thing I found out while cleaning one of them out). My solution is simple. Quite like an O ring a wide rubber band right under the threads should waterproof the container. If your maintaining make sure to change it regularly though as rubber bands to become brittle.

So far I've found ammo boxes and lock locks work well. What hasn't is the orange matchstick containers and the metallic nano and micro cache containers.

For my first cache I used something from my line of work. I am a welder and have special containers to keep welding rods dry. It is about 12 inches long and 3 inches in diameter and the screw on top seals tight onto a heavy rubber o ring. Holds plenty of stuff in it.

I had to LOL because I too hate key boxes however I am quilty of using them occasionaly. I will at least use the larger ones & I have my 'little' log in a mini mini zip lock. They are also used only where they can be put up under cover. So far I havent had any problems with them getting wet but I do check all of my caches at least once a month.

The only reason I will use them is if there is someplace that just wont handle a regular cache due to definate muggle factor. MW

Magnetic Key Holders are definitely a step up from some of the caches that I've found. The worst has to have been the Chinese food container wrapped in a black plastic bag, hidden under a twenty pound rock. I called it the 'smashed cache'.

I keep hearing about caches hidden in chinese food containers. Fortunately I've never seen one. What would posses a person to do that?

I keep hearing about caches hidden in chinese food containers. Fortunately I've never seen one. What would posses a person to do that?

Chinese food containers would be an upgrade from one I found not so long ago. It was one of those deli sandwich boxes.. black plastic bottom and a thin clear plastic snap on cover.. maybe a half step above a big mac box. I was about the fifth finder and the thing was already crushed.

Perhaps one of the best topics I have seen recently was one titled "How to I waterproof an Altoids Tin." The very first answer was "Put it in an ammo can." The topic went down hill from there.

I've found all kinds soggy, including ammo cans. A soggy ammo can is very rare, but it happens. Bad seal or someone lets something get caught in the seal.

Has anyone seen a cache made from an box made by Action Products? I found one the other day at Academy. They look like the old school ammo can but they are made of plastic. If you would like to see one click here. LINK

We bought one to use it as a cache. After further inspection it seems like it might leak although the manufacture say it is watter proof.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone had come across one of these in the field?

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

Lets Go Caching, A Video Podcast About Geocaching

This was one of three set out in Riverside Park in New York City. Theo owner cached for a week, set out three caches, and has not been heard of since. A local cacher replaced one with a Lock and Lock. The other two were archived. Similar to edscott's description: round black plastic bottom, about 6" in diameter, with a clear plactic snap on top.

I guess it's very difficult to find Lock and Locks in Manhattan??? :unsure: (You can buy ammo cans at the Army Surplus store across from Port Authority bus terminal!)

Has anyone seen a cache made from an box made by Action Products? I found one the other day at Academy. They look like the old school ammo can but they are made of plastic. If you would like to see one click here. LINK

We bought one to use it as a cache. After further inspection it seems like it might leak although the manufacture say it is watter proof.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone had come across one of these in the field?

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

Lets Go Caching, A Video Podcast About Geocaching

I found one in a box like that. Can't be sure if was the same manufactuer. It was full of water. Make sure you read to see if there is anything you can put on the seal to make it last and not stick. On the one I found the seal had stuck to the box a tore when it was opened.