Ever heard of cache containers seized by USPS?

Has anybody ever heard of or experienced a problem with cache containers (I’m thinking of PVC tubes or similar) being held up or seized by the postal service during shipping? I’m visualizing some postal employee running a package through an x-ray and seeing the tubular shape and caps on the end and thinking pipe bomb. Maybe they don’t x-ray domestic mail on a regular basis, I don’t know.

Do they X-ray regular mail going to and from normal addresses? Sound like a massive expense. I can see extra testing of mail addressed to certain government officials, but not general mail.

But, if they DID X-Ray the package and see a tube-shaped item, they probably wouldn't think anything of it unless it contained material that looked like explosive.

If it got held up, it wasn't just because of it's tubular shape.

A tube is a great thing to send all kinds of things in, especially poster-sized paper that can't be folded.

Also, for anything long and skinny that shouldn't get crushed, a tube is a great container. I bet lots of people ship stuff in tubes, even PVC tubes.

If the USPS held up every tubular container that crossed their doors, they'd have a huge headache. In fact, I think they had tubular mailers for sale in the local PO lobby last time I was in.

Are you shipping a PVC cache and wondering about possible complications? Waiting for one to come in the mail, wondering where it is?

...A tube is a great thing to send all kinds of things in, especially poster-sized paper that can't be folded.

Also, for anything long and skinny that shouldn't get crushed, a tube is a great container. I bet lots of people ship stuff in tubes, even PVC tubes....

Right now I have a Tube containing plans for a Dredge that last saw service in the 50's. It's in a box so I can mail it. You are right. Hard tubes are handy things, especially if you want to keep your stuff from being smashed or ruined.

Like you say. The problme isn't the tube, though a tube may be cause for an inspection or a deeper look see.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I've never understood the reason why people would use something that looks like a pipe bomb as a cache container anyway...........

I've found a handful locally that were hidden in fence posts and secured to the post cap that work quite nicely. The hider was smart enough to plaster a GC sticker around the tube. One of these I've since adopted that's near a ballpark with no bomb squad scares. Yet. When I think "pipe bomb" I think metal pipe, but...

I guess I wouldn't have even asked the question if it wasn't for the didgeridoo my wife got me for Christmas one year (post 9/11) that was held in customs for "special inspection" for three months. :D

I haven't ordered any nor do I have imediate plans to ship any, it was just more a matter of curiousity than anything else.

Edited by ec3forme

I've never understood the reason why people would use something that looks like a pipe bomb as a cache container anyway...........

I've found a handful locally that were hidden in fence posts and secured to the post cap that work quite nicely. The hider was smart enough to plaster a GC sticker around the tube. One of these I've since adopted that's near a ballpark with no bomb squad scares. Yet. When I think "pipe bomb" I think metal pipe, but...

I guess I wouldn't have even asked the question if it wasn't for the didgeridoo my wife got me for Christmas one year (post 9/11) that was held in customs for "special inspection" for three months. :D

Customs will often balk at items made out of wood. I suspect that this was why your thingamabob was delayed, not because of it's shape.

Has anybody ever heard of or experienced a problem with cache containers (I’m thinking of PVC tubes or similar) being held up or seized by the postal service during shipping? I’m visualizing some postal employee running a package through an x-ray and seeing the tubular shape and caps on the end and thinking pipe bomb. Maybe they don’t x-ray domestic mail on a regular basis, I don’t know.

Hey ec3forme, send me your name and address. I'll use that as the return address for the galvanized pipe geocache I'm sending to President Bush. Then we'll see! :D

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Hey ec3forme, send me your name and address. I'll use that as the return address for the galvanized pipe geocache I'm sending to President Bush. Then we'll see! :D

Deane

All mail going to the White House is x-rayed, sniffed, and irradiated.

Hey ec3forme, send me your name and address. I'll use that as the return address for the galvanized pipe geocache I'm sending to President Bush. Then we'll see! :laughing:

Deane

Answer your door, it's the Secret Service. :rolleyes:

The USPS has a lot of different security screens in place.

My wife was visiting her family and I asked her to send a dog zapper (don't worry...it doesn't harm the dogs) to me that I had loaned her father. It also has a light and LOUD personal alarm.

She sent it via USPS.

On a lazy Sunday morning while I was drinking coffee and goofing off, the phone rang. :) "Hello?" said I. :laughing: "Mr. Cowcreekgeeks? I'm Inspector Yergointojail from the United States Postal Service, Inspection Services." :D "Howdy...how may I help you?" said I. :rolleyes: "Well....I've got this box, see, and the whole danged building is evacuated. Seems there is an alarm going off and I'm curious, Mr. Cowcreekgeeks, when will this bomb go off?" :D "Ooohh, she forgot to take out the batteries." said I. :D "Batteries, Mr. Cowcreekgeeks? May I ask, what are you expecting?"

So I go about explaining the dog zapper in detail and he's very happy to hear that. I even invited him to open it and take the batteries out.

B) "Okay Mr. Cowcreekgeeks, you'll get your package tomorrow." :D "Thanks!" said I, "Ummm...how did ya get my phone number?" :P "We looked up your name and address in the phone book."

You know, I've gotta say the Post Office really goes the extra mile. :D

I train, run, and supervise several x-ray stations. A tubular shape is nothing of interest... UNLESS there is an organic mass (explosives are organic) inside along with wires, a small power power supply such as a battery or a flashpack (flashpacks are pert near extinct today) and something that appears to be a detonator inside the organic mass and connected to a wire.

Without those 4 things it is VERY unlikely that you are lookin' at a bomb when what's being x-rayed is a package.

x-ray operators are trained to recognize these components and it sometimes turns out to be an ipod in the pocket of a lunch pail or some other cooinkydink, but that's what alerts them.

I was relieving one of my x-ray posts one time and I had a reading glasses case and a key ring come through together looking exactly like a hand grenade in outline, but the components were wrong and I never stopped the belt. I ran the image back and took a picture after the person left though. It was freaky how much the image resembled a grenade. An untrained person would have freaked.

I've never had trouble shipping even a dual capped chunk of PVC pipe through the mail- as the X-ray expert above me stated, you'd have to have it looking like a pretty convincing bomb with all the right materials to have it stopped and inspected more thoroughly/go boom courtesy of the local bomb squad.

Postal service always takes a while to send me packages. Could be the same issue for you?

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to go to your local hardware store for the materials and make your own?

On a similar note, in December 2001 I ordered some Recorders (wind instruments) and an electronic metronome from a musical supply company. I had to pick the package up from the Post Office and as I was walking out I heard "tick, tick, tick..." from the metronome within the box. I hurried back to the car and drove off looking in my rearview mirror the entire trip home.

Edited by Elk Grove Treasure Hunters

I've never had trouble shipping even a dual capped chunk of PVC pipe through the mail- as the X-ray expert above me stated, you'd have to have it looking like a pretty convincing bomb with all the right materials to have it stopped and inspected more thoroughly/go boom courtesy of the local bomb squad.

Postal service always takes a while to send me packages. Could be the same issue for you?

I've checked a dual capped 4' long piece of PVC onto an airplane (containing two flyrods) without incident.