Itsnotaboutthenumbers

Rick618

I am very happy to see the site back up again! Very nice.

I noticed one thing when I just uploaded my file though. Some of my finds are not being included (only 2,266 of 2,277 finds). I verified with GSAK that they are all in the GPX file sent. I noticed it because Kansas went from two finds to one find suddenly. I did see that one cache was archived there this week, but archived caches should not be an issue. GC3DD4 was archived and must not be counted. GC4185 is still active and probably is the one counted. I can also see one cache lost in AZ, CA, FL, TX, WA. The rest were either GA or VA since I have logged a bunch of caches in both states since my last PQ. I've found so many caches in the other five states that it isn't as easy to spot which cache is missing for each. I could drill down later to see if I can figure it out if needed.

Just thought I would mention it. In any case, thanks for sticking with it and I hope you can work out the glitch.

You should be able to tell which one is missing in Kansas by looking at the county breakdown.

Do you have any caches listed on the county breakdown as not yet having the county determined? I had a number of them (including at least one which had been determined previously) and I think the number of them matched the missing counts in my total.

And I'm currently getting this message when trying to access the site:

500:Internal Server Error

Something's not quite right. Not sure what yet, but check back here in a little bit and I'm sure everything will be all hunky-dory again!

Edited by beejay&esskay

The site was up. I uploaded my query. Hmmm. The Leprechauns uploaded his daughter's before I uploaded mine. Hmmmm.

Lep, did you break the site again? :laughing::D:laughing:

beejay&esskay, I am pretty sure they were both in the same county. They were only a couple of miles apart. The only thing I saw that got me wondering was the recent archival of the one cache. Maybe I broke the site again? Na, not with my measly find count.

Yeah, our stats are back. I just uploaded file I pulled on 4/10. However, its off by 2. We haven't cached since 4/10 and all caches were logged before pulling PQ.

Also notice it says we've attended 1 CITO, but we haven't. And in the bottom chart, the green line isn't as steep as it used to be. Meaning our dot is alot closer to the green line than it ever was. lol

I have no idea what 2 caches are missing. I just noticed it.

Caching milestones are off also. Wrong caches & wrong dates.

I also confirmed the PQ had the right number in it when opened in GSAK.

Edited by wandering4cache

My count is off by 6. I'm going to spend a little time looking for it, but suspect Dave will find the issue easier.

(I found one missing. GCTHHJ Just a Martinsburg Cemetery in Knox County Ohio. Nothing special about it. Not archived. Not near the county line. Not a recent find.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

Something changed somewhere. I'm missing a couple of finds as well. I've been looking through my own GPX file as well as the database entries, and so far I haven't been able to pinpoint anything obvious, except that the parser is just completely passing over the missing caches. I put a bit of code in the page to just halt everything when it encounters a problem cache and display all the current variables, but it never gets triggered.

/scratches head

I want to help figure out which 2 of our caches are missing. How are you figuring this out?

Well, I found the first one by luck. I have found caches in every Ohio county but when I looked at the Ohio map, Knox County wasn't filled in.

I haven't looked seriously beyond that. If I were going to do that, I'd have to use GSAK.

From GSAK, I know the errors for me involve Indiana and Ohio. I also have the county filled in for every cache so I can further subdivide the states by county and compare those counts to INATN.

I think Dave will figure this out without additional help, but if he needed to know what was missing for me, I'd start down the list of Ohio and Indiana counties, comparing his count to GSAK. Once I knew the county, I could look at his detailed list vs mine.

I want to help figure out which 2 of our caches are missing. How are you figuring this out?

Well, I found the first one by luck. I have found caches in every Ohio county but when I looked at the Ohio map, Knox County wasn't filled in.

I haven't looked seriously beyond that. If I were going to do that, I'd have to use GSAK.

From GSAK, I know the errors for me involve Indiana and Ohio. I also have the county filled in for every cache so I can further subdivide the states by county and compare those counts to INATN.

I think Dave will figure this out without additional help, but if he needed to know what was missing for me, I'd start down the list of Ohio and Indiana counties, comparing his count to GSAK. Once I knew the county, I could look at his detailed list vs mine.

OK, might not be anything i can really figure out then since most of ours are near home with the exception of the ones hubby finds while on business travel or the few away weekends we've done.

I'll take a peak at those just incase.

Is it just me or does anyone else see humor in folks scouring the numbers for inaccuracy on a site called It's Not About The Numbers? ;)

:D;) I'm not ALL about the numbers, but our numbers have become more important to me lately. More so because we are FINALLY near 500. Took way too long. Work got in the way.

I actually like the pretty colors on the map more. :rolleyes:

Edited by wandering4cache

I just uploaded mine and found that the INATN number is off by 33 from the GC.com number. Not a big deal, I am just curious to see what the issue is. It is cool to look at the various statistics, but if you know that your input is flawed it makes looking at the resulting info kinda pointless.

Edit to add:

I just checked and all of the caches are in the gpx file, so it is something happening on the INATN end.

Edited by Monkeybrad

Okay... I think it's working again.

I did a little mucking about, and I think it might have had something to do with HTML entities (such as ampersands) in the cache names. I was already handling those, but apparently something changed, either with how the GPX files were being created or with the new server’s PHP configuration so that they were no longer being handled correctly.

I just uploaded the My Finds query for myself that I generated today, and it now shows the correct number of finds for me. Please let me know via email if it doesn’t do so for you.

I mentioned in a previous post that I updated the code to handle the GPS Adventures Exhibit and Wherigo caches. If you’ve got either of those in your finds, but they don’t seem to be showing up properly, please drop me an email. I’m not lucky enough to have gotten my hands on a Colorado (Anyone from Garmin reading this? ), so I don’t have any Wherigo caches to my name, so I don’t actually know what they look like in the My Finds query. Hopefully I’m handling those correctly.

Finally...

I'd like to give a big thank you to Groundspeak for stepping up and volunteering to help pay for the new INATN server. They contacted me out of the blue and offered assistance which I was glad to accept. GS isn't actually hosting the server themselves, so before you ask, no I haven't been given direct access to the mother database. Apparently my little ol' website is an "asset to the geocaching community", and judging by some of the emails I got when it went down the first time, a lot of you have come to find it useful as well.

So, thanks to Groundspeak for their server support, thanks to those of you who have clicked on the Paypal button and donated to the site (Groundspeak isn't paying me to work on it; I'm still doing that for free!) and thanks to those of you who have sent me emails and PMs to let me know that you missed the site and that you find my little project helpful in your geocaching adventures!

Let me pile on with my "great job guys".

I hope the people that continue to gripe that "Groundspeak doesn't listen to what people want" blah blah blah catch wind of this.

Thanks for all the hard work you do to keep the site running - and hats off to GS for stepping in to help where they saw the need to help the community.

Hoo-rah!

It's nice to see that Groundspeak has helped your site. I used to use it all the time...

The fact that you offer your services and site for free is why I think they helped.

You stepped up and did alot of work for the benefit of other geocachers like yourself...without the profit mind set.

Just one cacher helping LOTS of cachers...and you were rewarded.

Good Job and great decision Groundspeak!

I uploaded mine last night. The find count is now correct, but for some reason I now have a find in Ohio. :lol: (I have never cached in Ohio.) It's one I found back on '06, and no, it's not a traveling cache.

Me too, sort of. I did an upload earlier today and I have 3 caches in New Hampshire, I have never even been to New Hampshire let alone cached there. All 3 of those were caches found last Labor Day Weekend in Virginia. I also have a cache in Washington State, which is a cache I found here in NC and is still in NC.

Not too concerned, but just thought I would throw that out, I am sure it will get sorted out.

PinkD

Is there a possibility of www.geocaching.com doing this? I'm sure they have the server capacity. It's loved by most geocachers. Even if they have to charge an extra 1 or 2 bucks to members, I'd gladly pay it. Maybe make it available to members/ subscribers? Another way to enhance premium membership. They might even pay you to be able to get the rights to it... My $0.02.

-Mike

Is there a possibility of www.geocaching.com doing this? I'm sure they have the server capacity. It's loved by most geocachers. Even if they have to charge an extra 1 or 2 bucks to members, I'd gladly pay it. Maybe make it available to members/ subscribers? Another way to enhance premium membership. They might even pay you to be able to get the rights to it... My $0.02.

-Mike

I don't mind Jeremy using your $30 to help out, and you should contribute more directly if you feel it's that important. Personally, INATN isn't worth 2 cents to me. There are things over here (that I do care about), that still need fixing. Jeremy needs to take care of business over here. Let Dave do the same over there.

-Mike

I don't mind Jeremy using your $30 to help out, and you should contribute more directly if you feel it's that important. Personally, INATN isn't worth 2 cents to me. There are things over here (that I do care about), that still need fixing. Jeremy needs to take care of business over here. Let Dave do the same over there.

Unfortunately Jeremy has already used your $30 and my $30 to support INATN. I used it a couple times to generate a state county map, but now use GSAK macros to accomplish that. I no longer have a need for INATN, but I guess I still have to support it. It's like income tax, you support things you would chose not to.

Jim

Once you pay your bill, it's no longer your money, it's their money. What they do with it is up to them, and them alone.

Edited by WebChimp