Itsnotaboutthenumbers

Rick618

I pressed the button to order her "All Finds" query, and sure enough, when I went to INATN to upload it, *that's* when the site went down.

Later, outside of The Leprechauns' house, an angry mob of cachers gathers...

mob_rules_screen02.jpg

The mob grows larger and more angry!

800px-simpsons_angry_mob.png

Edited by mtn-man

Add me to the list of willing to pay $20.00 a year.

Can't be as much as geocaching but $10 less is acceptable.

It was cool seeing your name in some of the same Tennessee logs recently.

With your statistics, maps and Cache Across America achievements, please tell us that you're willing to participate in this effort as a donor at the Leprechaun Level. :unsure:

I signed a couple of logs right after you also.

That being said I will match the first year donation made by "The Leprechauns"

And I'll match the first year donation made by "The Keystones".

(heh heh heh)

I would happily pay $10-20 a year for the pretty maps.

Maybe we can talk Jeremy into supporting the site? I really wish the maps were offered here, they seem to be VERY popular.

(Thanks for taking the blame Lep, I was worried it was me when I tried to upload last weekend's Cache Machine logs.) :unsure:

-J

Maybe we can talk Jeremy into supporting the site? I really wish the maps were offered here, they seem to be VERY popular.

(Thanks for taking the blame Lep, I was worried it was me when I tried to upload last weekend's Cache Machine logs.) :unsure:

-J

I would be very happy to up my premium membership dues to $40.00 if it was incorporated into this site.

edit- to make a grammar grinch happy

Edited by TeamBarstool

Maybe we can talk Jeremy into supporting the site? I really wish the maps were offered here, they seem to be VERY popular....

I would (be?) very happy to up my premium membership dues to $40.00 if it was incorporated into this site.

I'll be the (very?) unpopular grinch here. What about those of us who don't care one tiny little bit about the maps? I can't be the only one who only wants to hunt and hide tupperware. I have zero interest in painting "pretty" maps, or paying extra to support them. Support whatever you want, but leave Jeremy out of it.

Maybe we can talk Jeremy into supporting the site? I really wish the maps were offered here, they seem to be VERY popular....

I would (be?) very happy to up my premium membership dues to $40.00 if it was incorporated into this site.

I'll be the (very?) unpopular grinch here. What about those of us who don't care one tiny little bit about the maps? I can't be the only one who only wants to hunt and hide tupperware. I have zero interest in painting "pretty" maps, or paying extra to support them. Support whatever you want, but leave Jeremy out of it.

Oh, I know! I know! We could make a third level of membership! Regular, then premium, then something else...

hmmmm....

*thinks*

PLATINUM! Gee, aren't I original? :unsure:

All joking aside, I'd gladly pay a bit extra to keep the pretty maps... as someone dreaming of completing the Nebraska 93 County and Delorme Challenges, they are invaluable!

I agree.

If people want to support INATN, can't they just shoot them some cash via PayPal? I don't see why it would need to be done through GC.com.

I would think that charging a small fee, perhaps $1, everytime you upload your PQ would more than make a enough to keep the site running. Kind of a pay as you go system. I may only update my stats once a month instead of once a week, but I think the demand is there to generate $200+ per month with this system. Just a thought.

Gotta agree with this as well. Used some stats for a while until realizing that they were for others' purposes, not our own...so ditched em. Just like our feeling on Wherigo...those that want it can support, but don't transfer/require any of that support from those who don't.

I would think that charging a small fee, perhaps $1, everytime you upload your PQ would more than make a enough to keep the site running. Kind of a pay as you go system. I may only update my stats once a month instead of once a week, but I think the demand is there to generate $200+ per month with this system. Just a thought.

Yeah, this would work. Or another way to cut back on costs is to only let each cacher upload their stats once per month instead of once per week. This would be far less strain on the servers and really how much do your stats really change in only a week?

It's Dave's site but I think there is a lot of interest for it. Enough for a tier system of $12 for once a month, $24 for twice, $36 for three, etc? Maybe team up with Clyde and GSAK?

I'm sure there are lots of options to look into and I'll make do without the site until he figures out what is best for him and hopefully for the site.

Good work and good luck!

Gotta agree with this as well. Used some stats for a while until realizing that they were for others' purposes, not our own...so ditched em. Just like our feeling on Wherigo...those that want it can support, but don't transfer/require any of that support from those who don't.

Well then if Dave brings his site back as a pay-to-use site you won't have a problem not using it and not paying, now will you? I like the maps, I like being a premium member on GC.com. Wouldn't mind paying for the INATN to get the maps.

Jim

Well then if Dave brings his site back as a pay-to-use site you won't have a problem not using it and not paying, now will you? I like the maps, I like being a premium member on GC.com. Wouldn't mind paying for the INATN to get the maps.

Jim

I would agree with you wholeheartedly. If the INATN comes up as a free site, pay-for-play or whatever, all who wish to use it are good to go in my book. My objection would be if gc.com took it on and utilized or increased membership dues there, as was suggested in a portion I did not quote above (and to which I believe Cardinal Red was replying to as well). Methinks you may have missed the mark a bit with this replay. I would encourage you to pay for the INATN maps if you so deisre...just don't require me to do the same.

Since the site went down, I've been using my sons crayons to color in the county maps.

Now my wife gets really upset when she tries to read her email.

:P

If you have an old monitor with the glass screens, try using a dry erase marker. If you have a newer, non-glass screen, MacGyver a glass plate to put over the screen, then use the dry erase marker. Washable glass chalk would work as a viable substitute. Just DO NOT use your wife's lipstick or fingernail polish. "Really upset" might turn into something worse. You could buy your own, but then the cashier might look at you weird if you don't have a reasonable response as too why you're buying it. :D

I have to admit to being an abuser of the site. I love stats If I had it all to do over again I would go back to school to major in statistics.

I love the maps... color coded... with counties

I love the finds broken down by year and month

I do wish it told more then just my best day of finds... top 10 most finds in a day would be nice, but I suppose its not a good time to ask for extra features.

The maps are my favorite though... if you can keep the maps I can live without most everything else

An arrangement to bring INATN back to life has been... arranged. More details to follow...

Very cool.

As far as making it something supported by users - I'd guess there are enough folks using the site and maps that even $1 each would probably support the site. A simple paypal site that accepted donations of $1, $5, etc. would likely keep it up and running without a problem and maybe even pay to provide a 6 pack of beer into the bargain.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a deal was made. I suspect that a large part of the appeal of this site has been that it was free. Anyone curious to see if they had duplicate finds posted, or wanted to see where they stood among other cachers could upload a zip file and get those answers--and yes, of course the pretty maps.

If it suddenly begins to cost, (however necessary and reasonable those charges might be), I'm guessing that most people will no longer be quite so interested in getting those answers. If this is true, the strain on the site's servers will cease to be a problem, and the money will no longer be necessary to pay for the drain. So then, do you make it free again? . . .. which will recreate the strain, and require money . . . ad infinitum? B)B)

Edited by Snake & Rooster

An arrangement to bring INATN back to life has been... arranged. More details to follow...

Edit: ...and I am continuing with my intention from the start of not making it a "for-pay" site. B) The only fee to you will continue to be that you need to be a Premium Member at GC.com because you need to be able to download the PQ that INATN needs.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of throttling mechanism, much like the "My Finds" PQ which you can only run once a week. Maybe limit the stats to once a week, too. I'd be curious to see some kind of figures as to how frequently some of them get updated. I'd bet the 80-20 rule applies -- 80% of the load is generated by 20% of the users.

I sure hope you (and the site) is prepared for that first day, when weeks' worth of pent-up demand is let loose.

Personally, I was so distraught when INATN went down that I haven't found a geocache this entire month. So no pent up demand here.

Well, actually, it was because of my work and home schedules, but I choose to blame The Leprechauns for my lack of caching over the last week or so.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of throttling mechanism, much like the "My Finds" PQ which you can only run once a week. Maybe limit the stats to once a week, too.
I can't imagine why anyone would upload My Finds more than once a week, since they can't get a new one more frequently.

It's not hard to add entries to the file. B)

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of throttling mechanism, much like the "My Finds" PQ which you can only run once a week. Maybe limit the stats to once a week, too.
I can't imagine why anyone would upload My Finds more than once a week, since they can't get a new one more frequently.

It's not hard to add entries to the file. B)

Really? How did you do that? INATN puked on any edited file I tried to send it.

I sure hope you (and the site) is prepared for that first day, when weeks' worth of pent-up demand is let loose.

That made me think of something. For those first few days back, maybe something could be set up to help reduce the load. While this might be hard to enforce, maybe set up a schedule based on the user name. Say it starts back up at midnight on Sunday night. For Monday, only people with names starting with 0 - C are allowed to upload. D - G on Tuesday, H - K on Wednesday, L - O, P - S, T - W, X - Z. That covers all the names in one week. If people can be nice enough to follow it (notice the word IF), then it might help reduce that initial strain on the system.

Thanks in advance if you are keeping this a non-pay site and for your efforts to get the site back up again. I can't wait to see what you've been able to setup to make it work. I'm putting money down on the idea of splitting the load across more than one server.

maybe set up a schedule based on the user name. Say it starts back up at midnight on Sunday night. For Monday, only people with names starting with 0 - C are allowed to upload. D - G on Tuesday, H - K on Wednesday, L - O, P - S, T - W, X - Z. That covers all the names in one week. If people can be nice enough to follow it (notice the word IF), then it might help reduce that initial strain on the system.

If he annoucned that request on the home page, I would abide. If he does it, I would suggest a random starting point in the alphabet...no reason to let the 0-C's go first.

Edit: ...and I am continuing with my intention from the start of not making it a "for-pay" site. B) The only fee to you will continue to be that you need to be a Premium Member at GC.com because you need to be able to download the PQ that INATN needs.

I am very happy to hear that. I love your site!

RenStimpy270.jpg

And count me as somebody who won't mind if there's restrictions or a need to help fund it.

If you look at my US county finds you'll see the "breadcrumbs" I left on the trip down (and back, on a different path, of course.)

You do realize, of course, that we can't "look at your US county finds" to see anything right now... Right? <_< That's the whole point of this thread! :laughing:

That made me think of something. For those first few days back, maybe something could be set up to help reduce the load. While this might be hard to enforce, maybe set up a schedule based on the user name. Say it starts back up at midnight on Sunday night. For Monday, only people with names starting with 0 - C are allowed to upload. D - G on Tuesday, H - K on Wednesday, L - O, P - S, T - W, X - Z. That covers all the names in one week. If people can be nice enough to follow it (notice the word IF), then it might help reduce that initial strain on the system.

Thanks in advance if you are keeping this a non-pay site and for your efforts to get the site back up again. I can't wait to see what you've been able to setup to make it work. I'm putting money down on the idea of splitting the load across more than one server.

One of the reason that the site went down is because it was on a shared server. For a typical website, the hosting provider could probably put 10-20 different sites on the same server, and as long as everyone plays nice, they can all co-exist.

Unfortunately, there were times where INATN triggered the alarm bells because it was using over 25% of the resources on the server. It's not that INATN crashed, it's that the provider shut it down so as to not affect the other sites on the same server.

Now that INATN will be on a dedicated server, it will be the only site there, and I will have sole use of all the resources and not have to worry that the provider is going to call me a 2:00 am to let me know that they've disabled the site again.

INATN will also no longer be restrained by some of the limits imposed on the shared servers. Before, there was a 10Mb upload limit which meant that folks with large My Finds PQs weren't able to upload at all. Now I can set that limit to a much higher number so everyone can play, and I can also increase the time allotted for the calculation function to do its work before it times out.

I'm excited... revelry.gif

One of the reason that the site went down is because it was on a shared server. For a typical website, the hosting provider could probably put 10-20 different sites on the same server, and as long as everyone plays nice, they can all co-exist.

Unfortunately, there were times where INATN triggered the alarm bells because it was using over 25% of the resources on the server. It's not that INATN crashed, it's that the provider shut it down so as to not affect the other sites on the same server.

Now that INATN will be on a dedicated server, it will be the only site there, and I will have sole use of all the resources and not have to worry that the provider is going to call me a 2:00 am to let me know that they've disabled the site again.

INATN will also no longer be restrained by some of the limits imposed on the shared servers. Before, there was a 10Mb upload limit which meant that folks with large My Finds PQs weren't able to upload at all. Now I can set that limit to a much higher number so everyone can play, and I can also increase the time allotted for the calculation function to do its work before it times out.

And the new server has the appropriate Anti-Leprechauns software installed right?

(LepAware, LepBlock, Norton Anti-Lep, etc.)

Good to hear!

Now if Groundspeak would come out with some sort of API so there would be no need to upload/download and get data directly from the account... in real time :laughing:

Never gonna happen. Read up on the history of why terracaching.com formed as a separate web site. It originally used cache info mined directly from the Groundspeak database, but that was shut off. Lawyers got involved. Panties were wadded.

Edit: ...and I am continuing with my intention from the start of not making it a "for-pay" site. :laughing: The only fee to you will continue to be that you need to be a Premium Member at GC.com because you need to be able to download the PQ that INATN needs.

Am I the only one that had a mental picture of mafia-Lackeys handing a suitcase full of money to a goofy-looking cow in a smokey back room? <_<

The only question now is whether the Lackeys represented Google, Microsoft, or Groundspeak. <_<

That's outstanding! That should open the door for all kinds of things! I really love your site and I'm glad you got the issues resolved. As soon as I get my med bills caught up, you'll be getting some fundage from me!

Now that INATN will be on a dedicated server, it will be the only site there, and I will have sole use of all the resources ...

INATN will also no longer be restrained by some of the limits imposed on the shared servers.

We will pay money for this service as we have in the past. $20 to 25 every so often or whatever amount might be suggested.

I LOVE INATN and especially the county maps. This program makes the game just that much more fun! Thanks.

Just found this thread after realizing for a few days that INATN was down. Glad to hear it will be back up! I also love it, great for us Mac users and the maps are cool. And it's so easy to use. I am also one who would be willing to pay for this service, but if it is still going to be free, great!!

Hope everything works out and thanks Dave for this really cool site :lol: