camelbak alpine explorer

I am a packaholic. THere I've said it. I have the hardest time finding the perfect daypack but I think I've found it with the alpine explorer. Of my other daypacks I have the camelbak trailblazer, mule, classic, mountainsmith approach II, and a jansport that is the 2nd best daypack.

I have also decided that for me the middle/small camelbaks don't work for me, too large for some applications, and too small for the others. I like the classic for when I am riding my bicycle and need extra water, my small bike frame can only hold one bottle depending on where I put my pump.

If I want to carry more stuff than the classic carries, then it will also be too much for the mule. The trailblazer had been great but sometimes I have extra clothes and am also carrying extra clothes for a friend and really have to pack it tight. Even overloaded it's the most comfy pack I've ever worn!

So I went on a search for larger camelbaks. I have learned that a person really has to look at a pack in the store and the store I went to only had a couple of larger camelbaks but it had the alpine explorer and that's one of the ones I wanted to see.

THere are two versions (also two versions of the trailblazer), I got the one the the horizontal webbing in the back and one mesh, one zippered side pocket. Because the webbing is horizontal in the back I can clip stuff to it that is designed to be clipped to a belt. I can also clip my GPS to the shoulder strap so it can be removed by one hand.

THere is a nice soft fleece lined pocket towards the top for glasses and an mp3 player and an organizer pocket in front of the main compartment (with pen slots and such). In the middle of those 2 pockets is a cavity for stashing frequently used things. That's where I usually keep my wipes and tp.

I'll post pics of it and the contents later.

I'm a happy Explorer user. I will freely admit that the shoulder straps really dig into my "traps" when I load my bag with 210 ounces of water, and survival gear, for the trek I made for the cache listed below.

2c36efb5-8d0a-4391-8064-9fb736e51609.jpg

I had the standard 70 ounce bladder in its normal spot, and a extra 100 ounce bladder in the center pocket.

Edited by Kit Fox

I'm neither a packaholic nor a water hog, so for a day pack, my Camelbak Rogue suits me just fine. I was originally given a Classic as a present, but traded it up for a Rogue to upgrade the pocket space from 'pretty much none' to 'just enough'. I like its versatility; so far I've taken it on a few caching hikes, an eleven-mile trail run, and a 30+ mile bike ride, all without really noticing it much. It's a great short-haul pack for a light traveler.

I'm a happy Explorer user. I will freely admit that the shoulder straps really dig into my "traps" when I load my bag with 210 ounces of water, and survival gear, for the trek I made for the cache listed below.

I had the standard 70 ounce bladder in its normal spot, and a extra 100 ounce bladder in the center pocket.

:D My traps must not be big enough! The shoulder straps are attached by a "D" ring which allows for a little wiggle room. Also I think a longer torso'ed person will have the hip belt riding too high for the hips to support any wt. I'm only 5'4'' and can shift the wt off my shoulders a little bit. A taller person can only shoulder the weight.

I actually like the way the bladder compartment expands into the pack. If you didn't want to carry a bladder you can use it like another compartment.

I truly enjoy a good backpack and always seem to be looking...even tho I have plenty.

Among them are a Camelback Classic and a Camelback Mule. When I took my mom on my annual U.P. cache-a-thon (and camping trip) I gave her the Classic for drinking and I used the Mule to carry the stuff. That system worked really well. I generally only use the Mule when I will be on multi day, multi mile backwoods type caching/hiking...not urban stuff. The Classic is awesome for caching day to day. And it REALLY shines when I assist the local parks with controlled burns...where it is important to stay hydrated.

Funny that you mention Jansport: I have a very old Jansport backpack that I have stitched back together a few times because I love it so much. I used to use it as a bookbag and now I use it as a work bag. And I use it as a weekend bag when I head up to my folks' places.

B) My traps must not be big enough! The shoulder straps are attached by a "D" ring which allows for a little wiggle room. Also I think a longer torso'ed person will have the hip belt riding too high for the hips to support any wt. I'm only 5'4'' and can shift the wt off my shoulders a little bit. A taller person can only shoulder the weight.

I actually like the way the bladder compartment expands into the pack. If you didn't want to carry a bladder you can use it like another compartment.

I'm six feet tall and I had to slide the chest straps down farther, to accomidate additional slackening of the shoulder straps. It was the only method that I could devise on the trail to move the weight to my hip section, rather than my shoulders.

I have a Camelbak Rim Runner 3L pack. I love it and will never go back to carrying bottles. So very handy. Tons of cargo room also. But I do have one question...

How do you keep the water out of the tube and in the bladder? I hate being on the trail and taking a drink and the first few swallows are warm water. Yuck! I've seen on another site today that you can just blow air back into the mouthpiece and therefore up the tube to force it back into the bladder. Has anyone tried that and how did it work out? I know about the tube sleeves you can put on them to insulate it but how well do those work? I could have sworn at one point I saw some gadget that you could attach to the tube that was supposed to keep the water in the bladder and out of the tube until you took a drink but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!

:)

I have a Camelbak Rim Runner 3L pack. I love it and will never go back to carrying bottles. So very handy. Tons of cargo room also. But I do have one question...

How do you keep the water out of the tube and in the bladder? I hate being on the trail and taking a drink and the first few swallows are warm water. Yuck! I've seen on another site today that you can just blow air back into the mouthpiece and therefore up the tube to force it back into the bladder. Has anyone tried that and how did it work out? I know about the tube sleeves you can put on them to insulate it but how well do those work? I could have sworn at one point I saw some gadget that you could attach to the tube that was supposed to keep the water in the bladder and out of the tube until you took a drink but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

:D

Best solution is to get the Camelbak Thermal Control Kit.

On a side note, I found my future pack, i'm reserving the Alpine Explorer for light hikes. I finally got to try a Badlands 2200, and loved the fit, and the features. I can use it for serious geocache treks, and for its intended purpose, to pack out game.

Edited by Kit Fox

:D

Best solution is to get the Camelbak Thermal Control Kit.

On a side note, I found my future pack, i'm reserving the Alpine Explorer for light hikes. I finally got to try a Badlands 2200, and loved the fit, and the features. I can use it for serious geocache treks, and for its intended purpose, to pack out game.

Even with the best intentions and insulation, they will freeze up on you. That being said, blowing air back through the tube is about the only way to ensure the water will stay reasonably cool. I got over the warm water issue a long time back. You eventually get used to it and become happy its something wet and you know the third swallow is going to be a refreshingly cool sip. It is also a good way to measure how much water you take in at a time. It is too easy to keep drinking the water supply down because it is so nice and cool.

Edited by TotemLake

ok now i just stubled on this topic.

i was looking (im also one of those peaple that allways collect and look for new backpacks.

and wanted one for caching.

so i ordered the Mule. it looked so nice on pictures. but wow it is so small !!!!

im also a big guy, 1,97 cm. 125 kg.

i liked the quality. and design. and concept. but it should be like 2-3 times bigger. i think.

it is sayd the i can put a jacket in the overflow. i dont think so. it has to be a small jacket. or wery thin

not one for wery changeble weather like we have here in Denmark.

so im thinking about returning the mule. (4s)

so i have ordred the Helion. i hope that might be the right size.

does enybody have experience with that one ?

i was looking (im also one of those peaple that allways collect and look for new backpacks.

so i ordered the Mule. it looked so nice on pictures. but wow it is so small !!!!

i liked the quality. and design. and concept. but it should be like 2-3 times bigger. i think.

it is sayd the i can put a jacket in the overflow. i dont think so. it has to be a small jacket. or wery thin

I use the rim runner and the mule, both are good, although the mule is a bit small, I also have a army type camelback, name escapes me but this thing is huge.

I use the rim runner and the mule, both are good, although the mule is a bit small, I also have a army type camelback, name escapes me but this thing is huge.

i got the Helion fridag after work. and have used it bouth saterday and today. sunday. caching caching :o

it is a good size for me. good pockets. i would have liked som netting for the overflow like the mule. but ok.

and on the one side it is like made for my walking stick. cool

only problem i have with it. is that it is desiged for winter sports. and im walking around in a forrest on one if not the hottest day.(about 30`C and the airflow on the back it is not the best. and cushing, is without mesh. again maybe not needed for winter but for a hot hot sommerday it would be wery nice.

Well I finally did it, I purchased the Badlands 2200. It is like a dream come true for me. The best feature are the "load lifter" straps. The "LLs" lift the shoulder straps off of your shoulders, and switch the weight to your hip belt instead. As you can see from this pic, the Alpine Explorer doesn't fit me well, when heavily loaded.

My gear is too much for the Alpine explorer.

th_Gear.jpg

th_Start.jpg

Well I finally did it, I purchased the Badlands 2200. It is like a dream come true for me. The best feature are the "load lifter" straps. The "LLs" lift the shoulder straps off of your shoulders, and switch the weight to your hip belt instead. As you can see from this pic, the Alpine Explorer doesn't fit me well, when heavily loaded.

My gear is too much for the Alpine explorer.

th_Gear.jpg

th_Start.jpg

what no toilet paper ???

nice i have been looking at that gerber knife. but too expencive for me.

it looks like it hangs low ? but if it dosent feel like it thats fine

what dident you have room for ?

and do you need that mush ?

(im only out for a day or so. maybe you are out for weeks ?)

ps i have never seen such a small shovel. is it eny good ?i guees if you almost never use it, it a good size.

Edited by Storkraft

what no toilet paper ???

ps i have never seen such a small shovel. is it eny good ?i guees if you almost never use it, it a good size.

Toilet Paper is in the lower left, beneath the Gerber knife. I paid $60 for the knife. Don't let the small size of the shovel fool you. I used that shovel for many years during my prospecting days. It never failed me once. I'm trying to find a lighter version of the old military style fold up shovel. The little shovel is for digging a "cat toilet" if need be. I'm thinking of adding a couple of the Leave No Trace (Pack out toilet kits.)

The reason for all the gear is the rugged terrain I like to hike in.

You can get an idea of the terrain in my photo gallery from my last trip. 2800 feet of elevation gain, and 4700 feet of loss, in 6.5 miles. Islip Saddle to Devil's Punchbowl.

Previous trip to the same area, when I placed the cache.

Trip-Topo.jpg

Another nasty hike:

C-130 Hercules Crash Site

Edited by Kit Fox

what no toilet paper ???

Toilet Paper is in the lower left, beneath the Gerber knife. I paid $60 for the knife. Don't let the small size of the shovel fool you. I used that shovel for many years during my prospecting days. It never failed me once. I'm trying to find a lighter version of the old military style fold up shovel. The little shovel is for digging a "cat toilet" if need be. I'm thinking of adding a couple of the Leave No Trace (Pack out toilet kits.)

The reason for all the gear is the rugged terrain I like to hike in.

You can get an idea of the terrain in my photo gallery from my last trip. 2800 feet of elevation gain, and 4700 feet of loss, in 6.5 miles. Islip Saddle to Devil's Punchbowl.

Previous trip to the same area, when I placed the cache.

Trip-Topo.jpg

Another nasty hike:

C-130 Hercules Crash Site

i like that shovel. but i just wondered if it was big enof to use. i have had the folding army shovel. when i was in the navy, i didnt like walking with it. and when we realy were digin it seemed to small. but it did the job. and about the toilet paper ok. i dident see it, dident know tp. was that.

and about the knife it looks great.