Is there an alternative to ActiveSync

I've used some duff software* in my time but I think ActiveSync is just about the biggest pile junk ever.

It just seems so fickle about whether it wants to connect or not; and that's using the USB lead! I gave up trying to use bluetooth loooong ago.

It's pretty reliable when connecting on my Win2000 laptop but my with our home PC and my work PC ( both XP Pro) it's just a joke! :D

*Lotus Notes for example :D

You can always pop the SD storage card into a card reader and transfer files that way rather than through ActiveSync. Regarding Lotus Notes, yes I agree, that is the biggest bag of snot ever written.

Jon.

18.gif Phew! I thought I was going to upset someone again then! :D

What about MemoryMap data? Can that be loaded directly to a card?

Also, when copying files (using ActiveSync), a message box says that it might have to convert things. Is it just making that bit up?

:D

Thanks

Edited for clarity

Edited by Delta68

What about MemoryMap data? Can that be loaded directly to a card?

From Memory Map on the PC, do an Overlay Export All and save as "userdata-Memory-Map.mmo" and then copy that file to "\Program Files\Memory-Map" on the PDA overwriting the existing one that should be there (obviously you have to do this by first copying it to the SD card and then use file explorer on the PDA).

Jon.

EDITED to clarify.

Edited by Dakar4x4

That's an easy one. Delete the folder called 2577 on your SD Card. If you're too wary to take my word for it, either just rename it or back it up before you delete it.

When you boot Windows Mobile, it looks for install files in a folder called 2577 which is why this happens. Strange but true. :D

Oops, forgot to add. Sygate firewall is also like AVG in that it won't allow USB connections to Active Sync with Windows XP. I tried everything when I had a Mio and it just won't allow it. My new device has an 'alternative connection method' that works with Sygate though.

I really don't think this is a Activesync problem per-se. Maybe I'm unique, but I'm on my fifth Windows Mobile device which I've synced with a similar number of PCs with absolutely no problems. Nowadays, the connection between PC and PPC is via a virtual network adapter which does rather explain why firewalls can get in the way.

I think the OP should ask "Is there an alternative to my firewall?"

I use Kerio Personal firewall FWIW.

I really don't think this is a Activesync problem per-se. Maybe I'm unique, but I'm on my fifth Windows Mobile device which I've synced with a similar number of PCs with absolutely no problems. Nowadays, the connection between PC and PPC is via a virtual network adapter which does rather explain why firewalls can get in the way.

I think the OP should ask "Is there an alternative to my firewall?"

I use Kerio Personal firewall FWIW.

4 or 5 PDA's and 3 or 4 Computers with no problems with Active Sync. Then I installed Windows Vista and...ended up giving up on syncing anything at all.

I use an AVG firewall and have found that this considers the USB ActiveSynch connection to be a newtork drive. ActiveSynch does not work until the firewall is disabled !!

I too have been using ActiveSync with my iPAQs for as long as XP has been out - and I've also always used AVG - and I don't have a problem with either.

I'm using Zone Alarm (Free) firewall, and apart from having to tick "allow" whenever I upgrade to the latest issue (but then I redo all the permissions then anyway), I've never had a firewall problem with ActiveSync either.

Having said that, I only ever use ActiveSync to sync email - and MM data, and use a card reader for anything else.

Are you sure the problem's not with your settings or Mio?

Windows XP, AVG free AV software, Online Armour free Firewall, free ActiveSync thro USB cable to free ActiveSync on the Mio (with auto connect disabled. Works a treat at present!

I was having all sorts of problems with the Mio to the point of almost selling it until I took TomTom OFF the Mio, reloaded all the stuff I really needed and it all came together, even the Wherigo stuff.

H

Also, when copying files (using ActiveSync), a message box says that it might have to convert things. Is it just making that bit up?

:laughing:

I get this problem. It attempts a conversion and then says "File specified cannot be found". IVe tried almost everything suggested and Ive given up with Activesync at the moment and I bluetooth everything between PC and PDA. Works a treat.

Mark