looking to buy my first gps

We are just getting into geocaching and I would like to get a gps. I have a lead on an Etrex vista and venture. The venture is brand new. Is $150 a good price for both of these? Are these easy to use and work well for geocaching? We do this as a family, so I would like to have a couple. Thanks for your help in advance....

The main change in the units from three years ago to today is the ability to connect the unit directly to your computer.

In the infancy of geocaching we would print out the coordinates and then hand key them into the units. These days a simple usb hookup and a few seconds will get your caches synced right to your GPS unit.

I have always had Garmin units and love them. That is not to say that the other manufactures are not good. It is just that Garmin has taken care of me when I have had any issues (very rare). If you call for Garmin tech support you get someone in Kansas, not India.

My first unit was an eTrax Legend C and now I have a GPSmap 60cx. The 60cx seems to be the heavy hitter for most active geocachers around here. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Derrick Perrin

Lets Go Caching - A Video Podcast About Geocaching

lestgoicon.jpg

We are just getting into geocaching and I would like to get a gps. I have a lead on an Etrex vista and venture. The venture is brand new. Is $150 a good price for both of these? Are these easy to use and work well for geocaching? We do this as a family, so I would like to have a couple. Thanks for your help in advance....

You are getting close to the price of the Nuvi 200 which is a new product and very well accepted for all GPS activities. Look at one before putting out any money for something that would disappoint you in the long run.

Edited by donc30

Costco.com has the legend cx for $150. So if that's the black & white venture I'd say no.

You are getting close to the price of the Nuvi 200 which is a new product and very well accepted for all GPS activities. Look at one before putting out any money for something that would disappoint you in the long run.

Welcome to the Forums! :D

The Nuvi is not recommended for Geocaching. It is not weatherproof and the battery will not last as long as a good basic handheld GPS unit.

The monochrome Vista and Legend have old technology. You want to get a newer, color GPSr, preferably with the new High Sensitivity Receiver. Those are designated by the 'H' in the name.

I recommend looking at the Garmin Comparison page and then shopping around for the best price. For a GPSr under $200, I recommend the Legend HCx. The Vista HCx is another good choice. That is the one I have.

If you don't want to spend that much money, look at the other GPS units that connect to your computer with USB. Some connect with the Serial Port and require a Serial to USB adapter if your computer doesn't have a Serial Port. That adds to the price, and some of those are difficult to configure . . .

Costco.com has the legend cx for $150. So if that's the black & white venture I'd say no.

They don't have the high sensitivity GPS chipset